The Student Room Group

Unsure of continuing cyber security course

So I'm currently a part time student studying cyber security, and I will have finished my first year by the end of this term. However I've unsure whether to carry on as the course isn't interesting me. I don't know if this is because my modules during the first year have been more general computing, or whether I should swap to another course. I want to work as an intelligence analysis, I don't know whether to carry on my course in the hope it gets better or to swap to study either Crime and Criminology as an online course at Portsmouth Uni, or study Risk and Security Management as an online course at Portsmouth Uni. The only concern I have is I don't know what either courses are like - are they well delivered, do I get enough support, etc. So I'm kind of stuck at what to do.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Check what the second year modules are. Most computing departments teach the same first year accross all of their courses.

General computing/computer science modules are good tbh! GCHQ certify certain cyber degrees (only 3 bachelors degrees, identified as the best 3 for cyber security) but their requirements for a university getting a course certified include that a course cant just be all security content, there must be a strong component of general computer science, so its probably a good thing that your course has some general topics on it!
Reply 2
True I guess, but I've no interest in programming and find it a struggle and I know next year I have another programming module as well as an algorithim and data structures module which I think I will massivley struggle with.It's just making me think of other ways to get into cyber security, because not all jobs require programming or knowledge of programming with cyber security.
Reply 3
Does the Crime and Crimonology course seem more applicable to you and to your future career? (Would you be happier studying those modules on that course, etc is what I mean).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending