The Student Room Group

Do not understand epigenetics!! Please help

I know this may sound like a stupid question but it has been bugging me for days...
Question: scientists have suggested that siRNA may be useful in treating some diseases. Suggest why siRNA may be useful in treating diseases?
Answer: Some diseases are genetic; siRNA will stop product of this gene
My question: So what I don't understand is that siRNA prevents translation of a particular protein- how is that protein passed onto offspring if it were to translated (no siRNA)?, why does it only have to be for genetic diseases?

Most importantly, how does the translation of that specific protein actually cause disease (I understand for cancer but what about for other genetic diseases), I know this may be off spec, but because I didn't know this I couldn't answer the question. I just do not understand the answer at all :frown:
anyone :frown:
Reply 2
I think what you need to understand first is what a disease actually is; a collected set of symptoms with a common cause. In this case, one or more of the symptoms which make up the disease will be caused by the presence of a certain protein in the body. In order to stop these symptoms (remember, the symptoms are the disease) the best way is to reduce the quantity of this protein. In order to reduce the quantity of the protein, siRNA is used to prevent it's translation and so prevent further production. Less Protein = Less symptoms

Hope this helps.
Original post by WallF
I think what you need to understand first is what a disease actually is; a collected set of symptoms with a common cause. In this case, one or more of the symptoms which make up the disease will be caused by the presence of a certain protein in the body. In order to stop these symptoms (remember, the symptoms are the disease) the best way is to reduce the quantity of this protein. In order to reduce the quantity of the protein, siRNA is used to prevent it's translation and so prevent further production. Less Protein = Less symptoms

Hope this helps.

It has thank you but I still have a few questions. How does the certain protein cause the symptoms?
Following your logic, then why does the ms answer say 'some disease are genetic' so why does it have to be only for genetic diseases?
For genetic diseases does siRNA have to affect the gametes only and how does it do this?

Quick Reply

Latest