The Student Room Group

Biology question

Please could someone explain the purpose of dna methylation? I’m trying to understand it and have searched all over google but it’s coming up with research papers which I don’t understand? I’m just looking for a simple explanation about its function and purpose? Thank you very much!
Reply 1
It modifies the function of the DNA, typically acting to suppress gene transcription.
Reply 2
Original post by HT_3105
It modifies the function of the DNA, typically acting to suppress gene transcription.

Thank you, why does suppression of gene transcription need to take place?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by anonymous294
Thank you, why does gene transcription need to take place?

Protein synthesis
Reply 4
Original post by hameedah:)
Protein synthesis

Sorry i meant suppression of gene transcription?
Please could someone explain the purpose of dna methylation? I’m trying to understand it and have searched all over google but it’s coming up with research papers which I don’t understand? I’m just looking for a simple explanation about its function and purpose? Thank you very much!

The control of gene expression This might be helpful. scroll to the bottom a bit to epigenetics
Reply 6
The control of gene expression This might be helpful. scroll to the bottom a bit to epigenetics

I clicked the link but it says the server can’t be found/
Reply 7
Try physics and maths tutor if that doesn’t work
I clicked the link but it says the server can’t be found/

https://river-potato-a18.notion.site/8-The-control-of-gene-expression-dbbbc41a89184c5e8ce83f39209dbcc0?pvs=4 Does this one work?? if it does click on the little triangles to open each one.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 9
https://river-potato-a18.notion.site/8-The-control-of-gene-expression-dbbbc41a89184c5e8ce83f39209dbcc0?pvs=4 Does this one work?? if it does click on the little triangles to open each one.

Yes thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending