The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

psych modules at sheffield hallam

hey! i've applied to hallam as one of my options, but i'm kinda concerned about the psych modules. they aren't given descriptions on the website and they seem quite... generalised? for example as opposed to 'social and developmental psychology', 'cognitive and biological psychology' (modules i see on most other courses), it's just 'fundamentals in psychology'. it has me worried the course won't be very in-depth, and will only cover surface-level concepts in psych (like only talking about mental health or obvious theories rather than the more complicated biological stuff). maybe i'm overthinking, but it'd be great to hear from some hallam students about this.
Original post by undefined
hey! i've applied to hallam as one of my options, but i'm kinda concerned about the psych modules. they aren't given descriptions on the website and they seem quite... generalised? for example as opposed to 'social and developmental psychology', 'cognitive and biological psychology' (modules i see on most other courses), it's just 'fundamentals in psychology'. it has me worried the course won't be very in-depth, and will only cover surface-level concepts in psych (like only talking about mental health or obvious theories rather than the more complicated biological stuff). maybe i'm overthinking, but it'd be great to hear from some hallam students about this.

Hey there!

I know exactly what you mean about the website modules because it was something I struggled with when deciding on which university to go for. Now that I'm here and I've sort of got to grips with how everything works, my best advice to you is to email the department you're applying for and ask for the module descriptor for the modules you're unsure on. They're basically a document that explains what is included in each module, how you'll learn, what you'll learn and how you'll be assessed. They're really helpful and useful and they usually hand them out when it comes to picking your elective modules but they should have them for every module on the course and I'm sure if you requested them they'd help you out.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by kiremio

Hi,

On our BSc Psychology course you’ll examine what drives behaviour from brain physiology to epigenetic interactions, acquiring and developing cognitive skills, social influences and individual differences in personality and motivation. This psychology degree is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) and gives eligibility for the graduate basis for chartered membership (GBC) with the BPS. As such, it will cover in depth psychology.

As Lucy said, one of the things you can do is contact the department for more information on our modules. Here are their details:

Phone number - 0114 225 5772

You could also attend an open day, where there will be course talks as well as course stands where you can speak to lecturers and current students about the course. These are often the best way to get a real feel for the course, as well as the university they are situated in. We have some open days coming up soon, the next one will be on Sunday 25th February. You can find more information and book onto this here - https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/undergraduate-applicant-open-days

Any further questions, please do let us know.

Rosie (Sheffield Hallam Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending