The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Pure Maths 1 - 5th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did your Edexcel A-level Pure Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive9%
The paper was reasonable28%
Not feeling great about that exam...31%
It was TERRIBLE31%
Total votes: 4927

Edexcel A level Pure Maths 1

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it to specific questions or time management :ahee:
Date: 5th June
AM/PM:AM
Length:2h
Specification: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification.pdf *Note the differentiation of arcsin, arccos and arctan are no longer on the specification despite being in the original version. Instead there is parametric integration, which is not in the original printed textbooks, so be sure to ensure you know this!*

Other Resources:
Formula Booklet: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/Pearson_Edexcel_A_Level_GCE_in_Mathematics_Formulae_Book.pdf
Sample Assessment Materials: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-sams.pdf
Maths Study Group (including many resources): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5747896
How to revise for the new specification: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/exams/how-to-revise-a-level-maths-new-spec
Maths Exam Thread Directory: To be added

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work: "
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi have you got the new released papers for edexcel as could really use the practise ( Ive done most other papers in class) I didn’t do well in my mocks so really need to do more practise papers
Original post by Meg.G00
Hi have you got the new released papers for edexcel as could really use the practise ( Ive done most other papers in class) I didn’t do well in my mocks so really need to do more practise papers

Have you done the mixed exercises and review exercises in the textbook? That would be where I'd recommend you cover next rather than doing what may well be the last released papers before the exam at this stage :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advice on what to do for revision. Unsure of what to do so advice appreciated
Original post by VictiniCup
Advice on what to do for revision. Unsure of what to do so advice appreciated

Have you read the how to revise for the new specification A level maths article in the OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Have you read the how to revise for the new specification A level maths article in the OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I have
Yes I have

I'm not sure what else could be suggested then? Textbook questions are usually the place to start :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thought I'd nab this front page spot to point out that differentiation of arcsin\arcsin, arccos\arccos, arctan\arctan is no longer on the spec. This corresponds to parts of Exercise 9F

This has been replaced with parametric integration, the exercise for which can be found here.

There is an error in the answer for 3b, the answer should be 58.9.

@Lemur14 You might want to mention this in the OP. A lot of schools know but I wouldn't count on all schools being aware - my school isn't/wasn't.
Original post by _gcx
Thought I'd nab this front page spot to point out that differentiation of arcsin\arcsin, arccos\arccos, arctan\arctan is no longer on the spec. This corresponds to parts of Exercise 9F

This has been replaced with parametric integration, the exercise for which can be found here.

There is an error in the answer for 3b, the answer should be 58.9.

@Lemur14 You might want to mention this in the OP. A lot of schools know but I wouldn't count on all schools being aware - my school isn't/wasn't.

Have added a note :smile:
When do you think it is the best time to start doing maths past papers. Can we go up a grade in a month?
Original post by Lemur14
Have added a note :smile:
Original post by Pinkyprincess11
When do you think it is the best time to start doing maths past papers. Can we go up a grade in a month?

Now if you haven't already :smile: There's definitely enough material to last until exams are over so no reason not to at this point!
Started a core 4 old spec paper for revision. Asking as I'm not sure whether vector equations of a line is still on the specification.
Started a core 4 old spec paper for revision. Asking as I'm not sure whether vector equations of a line is still on the specification.

There are very few vector questions on C4 that are on spec, it's probably easier to skip them all and find some specific vectors stuff for new spec :tongue:
Original post by Lemur14
There are very few vector questions on C4 that are on spec, it's probably easier to skip them all and find some specific vectors stuff for new spec :tongue:

Thanks. Just thought I'd start doing some old papers for questions. I'll probs use the textbook for the new vector questions, they dumbed down that topic a lot.
Thanks. Just thought I'd start doing some old papers for questions. I'll probs use the textbook for the new vector questions, they dumbed down that topic a lot.

No problem :smile: My teacher set 8 C4 papers so I've become quite familiar with them :laugh: They moved a lot of it to further maths yes, makes A level very nice and further maths horrible :rofl: Textbook is a good shout :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
No problem :smile: My teacher set 8 C4 papers so I've become quite familiar with them :laugh: They moved a lot of it to further maths yes, makes A level very nice and further maths horrible :rofl: Textbook is a good shout :smile:

Also, volumes of revolution isn't on the spec anymore?
Also, volumes of revolution isn't on the spec anymore?

Nope that's gone to further maths :smile:
I’m really worried about maths- I feel like I’ll get about about 65% and that’s never gonna hit an A😭
Original post by honeybooooo
I’m really worried about maths- I feel like I’ll get about about 65% and that’s never gonna hit an A😭

Based off last year's grade boundaries, that'll be a lowish A, higher 60s would be a more secure A. It can always change this year.
Reply 19
what do you think the grade boundaries will be for an A/A* in this years grade boundaries?
Original post by _gcx
Based off last year's grade boundaries, that'll be a lowish A, higher 60s would be a more secure A. It can always change this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending