The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
what sort of grade are you aiming for? if you want an A, you're in a good position.

Aiming for an A. Seem to be a bit hit and miss on some papers tho.
Would anyone know how to do 6B?Screenshot_20190528-195847_Drive.jpg
Original post by Ashvin01
Would anyone know how to do 6B?Screenshot_20190528-195847_Drive.jpg

This is volumes of revolution and is no longer required for normal maths :smile: It got moved to further maths.
Oh okay thanks
Original post by _gcx
This is volumes of revolution and is no longer required for normal maths :smile: It got moved to further maths.
Original post by Ashvin01
Oh okay thanks

if you still wanna learn how to do it, just for fun PM me and I'll send solutions
How is everyone preparing for paper 3?
Also has anyone done that hardest maths question that someone posted a few days ago about the binomial expansion simplification from the OCR June 2018 stats and mechanics paper?
Original post by SkylineS4

I’m focusing on pure this week and then the shifting more focus on paper 3 next week. We still have over two weeks till paper 2 so it’s quite ‘far’ away

My maths teachers forced us to revise backwards so in essence I'm ready for Paper 3 but not the other 2 papers 😂
Original post by Lemur14
I've done the AQA Paper 1 (have paper 2 to do later this week too), I thought it was quite tough (for perspective I'm typically scoring low 90s on Edexcel papers except 2018 paper 2 where I had a disaster, but on that paper I think I was 70s)

I can't quite get to the bottom of this, are you scoring 90% on old spec papers?

Original post by Lemur14
but there were also a couple of things my teacher said wouldn't come up on Edexcel that then did on AQA which considering the near identical specifications is a little concerning

I thought the Specs were meant to be essentially identical, can you give an example of a topic which is not on Edexcel but which is on AQA

Original post by Lemur14
And then the 10 marker maximising the rectangle in the circle where I looked at it, had the answer in 2 lines and had no clue how to do calculus to get it :facepalm: It wasn't awful, I just felt it was asking many questions at the higher end whereas there might not be so many in an exam where they're expecting a wider range of abilities than last year!

The more I look at the Papers, the more they remind me of the new GCSE which is in large part designed to differentiate between Grade 8 and Grade 9 - I think something like half the paper is explicitly intended for that purpose - no source other than my own memory for that though.

What I'm getting at is I think the Papers are written independent of cohort and this year's will be largely similar to last year's across all boards.
Reply 190
Original post by muqeet137
cool thanks. I have to do all madas, zigzag, 2018 papers for other exam boards and cgp papers by next week loool.

same looool
Original post by Notnek
I would also include OCR MEI in your list.

I haven't done those - so I can't have a solid opinion, but I skimmed over them a couple of days ago, and they certainly look very good.
I can't get beyond doing the Stats/Mechanics for other boards. Apart from LDS questions (a handful of marks) they are the best/only guide to the type of questions that will be on P3.

They also prepare you for topics not on Edexcel 2018.

Also has anyone done that hardest maths question that someone posted a few days ago about the binomial expansion simplification from the OCR June 2018 stats and mechanics paper?
Original post by -David.S-
A link to some maths papers, pearson practice papers, ZIGZAG papers, specimen papers, past papers etc - https://ufile.io/8dev83wo . Link to Madas website for his papers - https://www.madasmaths.com/

just moving this to the top in case anyone still needs it
AQA Paper 1 Q5

A good example of a topic not on Edexcel 2018 QP (from memory) or on any C3, C4 Papers because it's new to the Spec. It'd be very easy to overlook this topic if you didn't do this question.

Examiner's Report said something like 50% scored well, 50% scored nothing.

And it's tied in with parameters. (I think this make is synoptic, but don't quote me.)

A very good practice/preparation question imo.

aqa p1  q5.PNG
Original post by Surfer Rosa
I can't quite get to the bottom of this, are you scoring 90% on old spec papers?

I thought the Specs were meant to be essentially identical, can you give an example of a topic which is not on Edexcel but which is on AQA

The more I look at the Papers, the more they remind me of the new GCSE which is in large part designed to differentiate between Grade 8 and Grade 9 - I think something like half the paper is explicitly intended for that purpose - no source other than my own memory for that though.

Yes 50% of questions at GCSE are aimed at grades 7-9.
How many people are doing STEP

I don't think I know any topics in AQA and not in Edexcel but there definitely are differences e.g. Ofqual's prescribed content says,

"Understand and use moments in simple static contexts"

Edexcel and OCR have interpreted this to include old M2 statics questions e.g. ladder problems. But AQA don't include these types of questions and they confirmed this here.

I've tried hard to find a definitive list of differences but haven't been successful. It's a bit concerning since I'm encouraging students to try papers across all exam boards but there could be other topic differences that I'm not aware of.
Original post by Notnek
Yes 50% of questions at GCSE are aimed at grades 7-9.

Yes. Found the source: "Previously, 25% of questions were targeted at A/A*, but now 50% of questions in each paper are targeted at the equivalent grades, 7–9."

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/misc/T772%20GCSE%20Maths%20Guide%20(web%20-%20final).pdf

What I'm getting at is I think the Papers are written independent of cohort and this year's will be largely similar to last year's across all boards.

Nope, have been scoring 90s/100 on the various Edexcel paper around! Although around 90% sounds about right for my C3/C4 scores too (C4 typically lower though)

Latest

Trending

Trending