The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

D7F056AF-DF4F-4283-9D80-C5A07C27B431.jpg.jpeg 2A7550C3-5B5F-49E0-A313-3D553EB7F082.jpg.jpeg is anyone able to help me this trig question, i don’t understand the method:smile:))
Don't worry about this. It's just fancy notation of what you already know
Basically, you know that integrating the area under the curve is like summing all the areas of really thin (rectangular) strips under the curve, right?
Well, this is what the sum means, in plain english: Sum all the areas of the strips under the curve, from x=a, to x=b (which are your limits), where the area of each strip = width x height = yx = f(x) X delta x (because y= f(x) and the 'width' of each rectangular strip is delta x, when you're integrating with respect to x)

For the integral to be as accurate as possible, the width of each strip needs to be as small as absolutely possible. This is where the limit: delta x --> 0 comes from, so now the integrand is reduced to just f(x)

Original post by Khushi.S
WHAT is that... never seen that come up anywhere
(edited 4 years ago)
Here, they are using the addition (or subtraction, whatever you'd like to call it) formulae for sin(A+B) and cos (A-B)
- sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + sinBcosA
- cos(A-B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB
These type of questions, where you have to prove identities, involve showing that the LHS (Left hand side) = RHS

So, all you have to do is:
1) Expand sin (x + pi/4), using the proper identity
2) Expand cos (x - pi/4), using the proper identity
3) Show that they are identical
(Note that in your expansions, you will have sin(pi/4) terms and cos (pi/4) terms. These can just be rewritten as sqrt (2)/2 )
Original post by unicornlover1
D7F056AF-DF4F-4283-9D80-C5A07C27B431.jpg.jpeg 2A7550C3-5B5F-49E0-A313-3D553EB7F082.jpg.jpeg is anyone able to help me this trig question, i don’t understand the method:smile:))
Reply 583
Where can I find the mock? Is this just one of the specimen papers?

yh I think
Original post by ohemgee11
Here, they are using the addition (or subtraction, whatever you'd like to call it) formulae for sin(A+B) and cos (A-B)
These type of questions, where you have to prove identities, involve showing that the LHS (Left hand side) = RHS

(Note that in your expansions, you will have sin(pi/4) terms and cos (pi/4) terms. These can just be rewritten as sqrt (2)/2 )

Original post by ohemgee11

That makes more sense aha.
Thank you so much 😊
No worries! :smile:
That makes more sense aha.
Thank you so much 😊
Anyone have a link to specimen papers mentioned?
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are likely to be for this exam for A and A* based on the recent mock paper?
Hi, can someone please share a link of all the past papers and specimen papers that are useful, really running low on time 😅
Reply 589
Any general tips for how to approach proof questions? This is the one area of the spec i neglected to learn ( we never got taught it ). I have memorised the main contradiction proofs ( root two, root three and infinate primes) and i know how to write down odd and even in terms of n. Anything else i should learn generally?
when you say the exam was like the mock is that the spring 2018 mock paper? its the only one i have that says mock on it
i have mock papers spring 2018 with references: 8MAO/01 9MA0/01 9MA0/02 is that similar to the exam do u think?
Original post by marywagland123
i have mock papers spring 2018 with references: 8MAO/01 9MA0/01 9MA0/02 is that similar to the exam do u think?

Probably not terribly similar to the 8MA0/01 because that's AS but likely similar to the others :smile:
hahah thank you, i would've fully answered the AS paper as revision
Original post by Lemur14
Probably not terribly similar to the 8MA0/01 because that's AS but likely similar to the others :smile:
Original post by marywagland123
hahah thank you, i would've fully answered the AS paper as revision

No worries :smile: I mean it's all on spec so is hardly the worst revision but with the exam being tomorrow I'd go for the A level ones :laugh:
Anyone panicking? like i know i am going to fail so bad and I need an A*
Whats the hardest thing they can ask
parametric integration.
Original post by solark
Modelling with Differential Equations is usually quite tricky
Original post by solark
Original post by Lemur14

Edexcel A level Pure Maths 1

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it to specific questions or time management :ahee:
Date: 5th June
AM/PM:AM
Length:2h
Specification: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-specification.pdf *Note the differentiation of arcsin, arccos and arctan are no longer on the specification despite being in the original version. Instead there is parametric integration, which is not in the original printed textbooks, so be sure to ensure you know this!*

Other Resources:
Formula Booklet: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/Pearson_Edexcel_A_Level_GCE_in_Mathematics_Formulae_Book.pdf
Sample Assessment Materials: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-mathematics-sams.pdf
Maths Study Group (including many resources): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5747896
How to revise for the new specification: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/exams/how-to-revise-a-level-maths-new-spec
Maths Exam Thread Directory: To be added

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work: "

Good luck tomorrow everyone :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending