The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Further Mechanics 2 - 25th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Edexcel A level Further Mechanics 2

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:
Date: 25th June
AM/PM:AM
Length:1h30
Specification:https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf

Other Resources:
Formula Booklet: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/Pearson_Edexcel_A_Level_GCE_in_Mathematics_Formulae_Book.pdf
Sample Assessment Materials: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-sams.pdf
Maths Study Group (including many resources): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5747896
How to revise for the new specification: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/exams/how-to-revise-a-level-maths-new-spec
Maths Exam Thread Directory: To be added

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump. Am I the only one who thinks M1+M2 is the rarest of combinations for Edexcel FM?
Original post by Taran4u
Bump. Am I the only one who thinks M1+M2 is the rarest of combinations for Edexcel FM?

You may be surprised to find that it isn't. The rarest combinations last year for AS were FP1/FP2, D1/D2, FS1/FS2 all with about 20 entries each (out of about 2500). FM1/FM2 had about 80. That should give a pretty good indication. For interest the breakdown.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
You may be surprised to find that it isn't. The rarest combinations last year for AS were FP1/FP2, D1/D2, FS1/FS2 all with about 20 entries each (out of about 2500). FM1/FM2 had about 80. That should give a pretty good indication. For interest the breakdown.

Phew, that is good to know. I have not found anyone doing both of them and am the only one from my school doing them. Sad times. How is your prep going? How are you finding harder qs to do (especially on further centres of mass)?
Original post by Taran4u
Phew, that is good to know. I have not found anyone doing both of them and am the only one from my school doing them. Sad times. How is your prep going? How are you finding harder qs to do (especially on further centres of mass)?

@nyxnko_ does this combo :smile:
Original post by Taran4u

I do FS1/FP1, sorry, just thought I'd show the stats :tongue: The first port of call is past papers. If you're finding these too easy you might like to have a go at some MEI questions. They're generally thought of as harder - but one thing that you can see is that the questions are generally longer, which I would think allows ideas and situations to be pursued quite far. Each paper only has 4 or so questions, and the papers are out of 72, to give perspective. There will be stuff you don't know that is not covered by FM2, so I wouldn't do full papers.

They're quite useful for Core Pure too, if you need practice with stuff that doesn't come up in old edexcel papers eg. coupled differential equations.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
I do FS1/FP1, sorry, just thought I'd show the stats :tongue: The first port of call is past papers. If you're finding these too easy you might like to have a go at some MEI questions. They're generally thought of as easier - but one thing that you can see is that the questions are generally longer, which I would think allows ideas and situations to be pursued quite far. Each paper only has 4 or so questions, and the papers are out of 72, to give perspective. There will be stuff you don't know that is not covered by FM2, so I wouldn't do full papers.

They're quite useful for Core Pure too, if you need practice with stuff that doesn't come up in old edexcel papers eg. coupled differential equations.

Ah right, thanks. I will try the MEI papers.
Reply 7
Original post by Taran4u

Original post by Lemur14
@nyxnko_ does this combo :smile:

Indeed, I do this combo :yep:
In terms of prep, I've only been doing the textbook questions so far :dontknow: I'm probably going to look through the old spec stuff to see if there's anything similar but I doubt it :/
Also, @Lemur14, have you made all the maths threads this year again? :wink:
Original post by nyxnko_
Indeed, I do this combo :yep:
In terms of prep, I've only been doing the textbook questions so far :dontknow: I'm probably going to look through the old spec stuff to see if there's anything similar but I doubt it :/
Also, @Lemur14, have you made all the maths threads this year again? :wink:

So far I've made all the Edexcel and AQA full A level ones...have more on my list to do but haven't got round to them yet :colondollar:
I wouldn't be surprised if most the stuff was in old spec somewhere, they had M1-5 to work with after all!
Reply 9
Original post by Lemur14
So far I've made all the Edexcel and AQA full A level ones...have more on my list to do but haven't got round to them yet :colondollar:
I wouldn't be surprised if most the stuff was in old spec somewhere, they had M1-5 to work with after all!

Welp, have fun with that! :thumbsup: I don't think I'll be watching most of my exam ones, just because they were a HUGE distraction last year :lol:
True :yes:
Original post by nyxnko_
Welp, have fun with that! :thumbsup: I don't think I'll be watching most of my exam ones, just because they were a HUGE distraction last year :lol:

There's not much new. There's a content mapping document here. The "completely new" stuff (the stuff highlighted in yellow) can almost invariably be found in other exam board's old specs.
Original post by _gcx
There's not much new. There's a content mapping document here. The "completely new" stuff (the stuff highlighted in yellow) can almost invariably be found in other exam board's old specs.

Thanks for sending that to me :ta:
Original post by nyxnko_

It takes about 30 mins ish to do a set for an exam board so it's not too long, just need to get round to it!
That's totally cool, just wanted the above user to know they weren't the only one with this combo, hence the tag :smile:
Reply 13
Entered for the FM1 and FM2 AS Paper on Thursday 16 May. Anyone doing the same?
Reply 14
Hey, I just wanted to make sure about this. I'm taking FM1, FM2 and D1, and I've been told by my school that only my two highest scoring exams will count. Is this true?
Yes, only 2. The new A levels are no longer modular and only 2 applied units count. You are the first case I am hearing of someone doing 3 units. Weird, don't take the exam you are weakest on; it will be a waste of time.
Original post by boi_
Hey, I just wanted to make sure about this. I'm taking FM1, FM2 and D1, and I've been told by my school that only my two highest scoring exams will count. Is this true?
Reply 16
Really? Quite a few at my school are doing 3 (~40%) and some are doing even more
Original post by Taran4u
Yes, only 2. The new A levels are no longer modular and only 2 applied units count. You are the first case I am hearing of someone doing 3 units. Weird, don't take the exam you are weakest on; it will be a waste of time.
Reply 17
Personally I felt that although D1 is piss easy, it leaves a lot of chance on the day, so I learnt Fm2 extra. Though looking back I probably should’ve done fs1.
Original post by Taran4u
Original post by boi_

Ish...your best two count but it has to be within the standard groups. So in your case you could count FM1 and D1 or FM1 and FM2 but not D1 and FM2. Your extra unit will be on your certificate too though :smile:
I'm also taking three but doing FS1 instead of FM1 and FM1 is the one I'm self teaching (extremely slowly :oops:)
How weird and tbh, pointless. Do you guys go to a private or posh school? I'm self teaching M2 coz I cba with D1.
Original post by boi_
Really? Quite a few at my school are doing 3 (~40%) and some are doing even more

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending