Edexcel A-level Further Mechanics 2 - 25th June 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
thx so much, this was a massive help,
Original post by Anon4012
20190623_221300.jpg
Bit rough but hope this helps, ask away if not clear :smile:
Reply 41
can someone please explain why a string needs tension>0 to complete vertical circles but a bead or rod only needs velocity>0
???? thanks
guys where can i find further mechanics 2 papers??
if the string does not have tension when its moving in a circle it will be slack and wont complete the circle, however since beads dont go slack all they need is speed to over come gravitational force and form a circle
Original post by mmonk
can someone please explain why a string needs tension>0 to complete vertical circles but a bead or rod only needs velocity>0
???? thanks
A string still needs tension otherwise it would not be following circular motion - i.e. even if it had velocity, you don't know it is still in circular motion so you need to know that R or T > 0 (depending on the case) to show the particle is either still in contact with circular object or the string is still taught and in circular motion. If this is not the case and there is still velocity, the particle would be travelling as a projectile.

When a particle is connected to a rod, naturally if it has sufficient velocity it will make the full circle as it cannot go 'slack', therefore you only need to verify v>0 at the top.
Original post by mmonk
???? thanks
Reply 45
thanks guys, if t>0 does that mean v>0?
yes because there would be no tension if there is no force from the circular motion which requires speed
Original post by mmonk
thanks guys, if t>0 does that mean v>0?
guys you dont have papers?
Reply 48
there doesnt seem to be a lot of resources for this exam,
shame
Original post by TarekHelmy
guys you dont have papers?
Original post by mmonk
there doesnt seem to be a lot of resources for this exam,
shame

Ripp
Reply 50
How did people find the exam? I did not understand how to do the shm...
Reply 51
Got 3,4,5 couldn’t do much of 6,7 and I got v close on 2 and I think I got 1 idek
Original post by buckmoo
Not bad but yh the SHM was weird. What did you guys get for the angles?

(a) angle for 1/4 (X-2)^2 or whatever it was as it hangs
(b) angle for cylinder and y^2=2x body on a slope
Original post by buckmoo
Very standard exam. Questions reflected difficulty of average of the M3 papers from old spec very well. Overall I'm pleased with what I managed.
Did anyone else write 'acceleration perpendicular because tangential acceleration only since no centripetal force'? I went on to say that although there is a component of weight along the rod, there is a thrust/ reaction from the rod on the bead at the point of contact.
29.2 and 38.2 degrees respectively
Original post by Peegs
Not bad but yh the SHM was weird. What did you guys get for the angles?

(a) angle for 1/4 (X-2)^2 or whatever it was as it hangs
(b) angle for cylinder and y^2=2x body on a slope
UNOFFICIAL MS PLSS

Also, was the shm equation a=-200x?
Yeah, got that
Reply 57
I got a=-225x for the shm.
Great, I got those exact answers
Reply 59
Also got like 0.3 seconds for the time for shm question

Quick Reply

Latest