The Student Room Group

didn't do o-level, skipped to a-level --- now i am pretty confused

I am currently doing English Literature A-Level via British Council, CIE. I have not done my English Literature in O-Level because I don't need any more O-Level subjects (I have already done 4 and that's more than enough for my uni). I have applied, paid the fees and am nearly halfway through the coursebook but now I am wondering if I made the wrong choice.
Let me clear my life a little: I am really interested in writing and reading and am about to publish a novel as well. My family is supportive of the writer in me. I scored A grade in my English Language GSCE (at age 10) but I have failed my English Language A-Level once (at age 11). After that, I went in a terrible depression and lost the will to work. I was an energetic kid but I completely changed myself. I became pretty sullen and dark -- frankly, I hardly cared about my life. About now, at age 15, I think I have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that many people don't have and I should not let it go.
The only trouble here is that, now that I have seen the Literature coursebook and complicated prose/poetry analysis (not to mention the lengthy terminology), I am afraid to fail. My parents have put such hope in me and I cannot ever break that hope, not even mention the slightest hint that I am not ready.
I have 42 days left for my first exam. If anyone has any tips or advice on how to cope and pass, please help :smile:
A level English Literature is 10 times harder than A level English Language. You did the a level test at a very young age (11) that might have contributed because this is usually done by 18/19 year olds. The A level English Language syllabus is pretty easy. If you love to write you only need to study for paper 4 (check out for paper 3 too), papers 1,2 are not hard at all. I think the main issue here is your confidence. If you are able to write a novel, I suggest you pick A level English Language. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just relax and take it easy. I understand what you're going through but English Literature is a terrible idea ( too complex, too much work especially if you are a private candidate).
All the best!! Stay happy!!! :-)
Reply 2
Original post by DarleneChrist
A level English Literature is 10 times harder than A level English Language. You did the a level test at a very young age (11) that might have contributed because this is usually done by 18/19 year olds. The A level English Language syllabus is pretty easy. If you love to write you only need to study for paper 4 (check out for paper 3 too), papers 1,2 are not hard at all. I think the main issue here is your confidence. If you are able to write a novel, I suggest you pick A level English Language. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just relax and take it easy. I understand what you're going through but English Literature is a terrible idea ( too complex, too much work especially if you are a private candidate).
All the best!! Stay happy!!! :-)

I am doing both Language and Literature.
I know it's a terrible idea... I wish I had known this sooner before registering and getting everyone to count on me

Thank you for the help, though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending