The Student Room Group

A level math help.

Scroll to see replies

15539884196184401283406866199415.jpg should i kiss goodbye to an A ? 😂
Original post by Muttley79
It should be an expression in terms of the old r - can you post what you have?

Are you doing Edexcel? We've had a lot of resources via the [locked but available to teachers] Emporium.
Original post by mrwonderful
15539884196184401283406866199415.jpg should i kiss goodbye to an A ? 😂

Where does the 4 come from? One question does not mean you don't still have a chance of an A.
Original post by Notnek
That's because it's not encouraged at GCSE which is a shame. You get questions in GCSE exams like "if this variable doubles, what happens to this variable?", which should be a very simple proportionality argument but students often struggle or resort to algebra when there's no need.

I would expect a Physics student to be very confident with this kind of argument.

We clearly teach different cohorts - your first example does not trouble my students
Where does the 4 come from? One question does not mean you don't still have a chance of an A.

from the initial radius squared.
Original post by mrwonderful
from the initial radius squared.

Yep that looks OK now :smile:
Yep that looks OK now :smile:

i have no idea what the new grade boundaries are...
i got 78/100 timed what do u reckon that equates to?
Agreed that it's a shame. Variation is expressed quite rigidly in textbooks, & I fear that most teachers will go along with this.
Original post by Notnek
That's because it's not encouraged at GCSE which is a shame. You get questions in GCSE exams like "if this variable doubles, what happens to this variable?", which should be a very simple proportionality argument but students often struggle or resort to algebra when there's no need.

I would expect a Physics student to be very confident with this kind of argument.
Original post by begbie68
Agreed that it's a shame. Variation is expressed quite rigidly in textbooks, & I fear that most teachers will go along with this.

A lot of questions ask for the rule which means you have to find k - otherwise it's an additional step that's not needed. I encourage students to look at that.

Quick Reply

Latest