The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Which is a better uni for law?

Original post by ez.s_smrs
Hi there,

I’m currently about to go on a gap year and apply for 2020 entry. My first 2 choices will be Glasgow and Edinburgh universities and I was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on which is a better uni for Law.

To give context about what I personally am looking for out of uni and answer any potential questions:

Not so much that in gets in the way of which is practically the best place to study, but I do care about prestige to a certain extent and want to be proud of the uni I go to. I know Glasgow is currently ranked as the 2nd best uni for Law in the UK ahead of Oxford and behind Cambridge, which is incredibly impressive, but also that Edinburgh generally has a more prestigious reputation beyond yearly ratings, and a reputation I believe is something more steadfast whereas ratings on a league table can fluctuate. I’ve seen Edinburgh pop up on many worldwide uni tables and it’s definitely more associated with where ‘Oxbridge rejects’ go such as Durham, St Andrews, and York etc, so it is obviously considered to be ‘up there’ and has that prestigious reputation throughout Britain and indeed the world which I, personally care about, i.e. a few of the Supreme Court justices studied at Edinburgh, and with the others it’s a mix of Oxbridge and Durham.

Moreover, as regards the social aspect, I’ve lived in Glasgow my whole life and it’s a fantastic city. But I want to have the full student experience of living on campus, in a new city (that I love), meeting new people and generally being independent which I could have in Edinburgh.

But obviously my knowledge is limited, biased and clouded by presumptions. So what do you all think?? Be honest!

Thank you!

You might as well apply to both and then make your decision further down the line but you'll certainly get more independence if you move away

Which is a better uni for law?

Original post by ez.s_smrs
Hi there,

I’m currently about to go on a gap year and apply for 2020 entry. My first 2 choices will be Glasgow and Edinburgh universities and I was wondering what everyone’s opinions are on which is a better uni for Law.

To give context about what I personally am looking for out of uni and answer any potential questions:

Not so much that in gets in the way of which is practically the best place to study, but I do care about prestige to a certain extent and want to be proud of the uni I go to. I know Glasgow is currently ranked as the 2nd best uni for Law in the UK ahead of Oxford and behind Cambridge, which is incredibly impressive, but also that Edinburgh generally has a more prestigious reputation beyond yearly ratings, and a reputation I believe is something more steadfast whereas ratings on a league table can fluctuate. I’ve seen Edinburgh pop up on many worldwide uni tables and it’s definitely more associated with where ‘Oxbridge rejects’ go such as Durham, St Andrews, and York etc, so it is obviously considered to be ‘up there’ and has that prestigious reputation throughout Britain and indeed the world which I, personally care about, i.e. a few of the Supreme Court justices studied at Edinburgh, and with the others it’s a mix of Oxbridge and Durham.

Moreover, as regards the social aspect, I’ve lived in Glasgow my whole life and it’s a fantastic city. But I want to have the full student experience of living on campus, in a new city (that I love), meeting new people and generally being independent which I could have in Edinburgh.

But obviously my knowledge is limited, biased and clouded by presumptions. So what do you all think?? Be honest!

Thank you!

You might as well apply to both and then make your decision further down the line but you'll certainly get more independence if you move away
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending