The Student Room Group

low predicted grades

So i just received my predicted grades and they are not looking good at all (BBC) especially since i want to do law in uni and i don't know what to do. I'm thinking about just relying on the clearing process but my parents are against that and my ucas advisor is telling me not to even bother applying to reputable law unis which is actually demotivating. I still have my lnat in december. Does anyone have any advice on what i can do to still make my application look good
Original post by goldhunnie
So i just received my predicted grades and they are not looking good at all (BBC) especially since i want to do law in uni and i don't know what to do. I'm thinking about just relying on the clearing process but my parents are against that and my ucas advisor is telling me not to even bother applying to reputable law unis which is actually demotivating. I still have my lnat in december. Does anyone have any advice on what i can do to still make my application look good

You refer to "just relying on the clearing process". Have you given any thought as to which unis will potentially be accepting candidates via Clearing, perhaps with reference to those which have done so in the past?

Would that list of unis include the "reputable law unis" which you aspire join?

Schools tend to do a reasonable job of predicting grades (although they are not infallible). Do you have any reason to believe that their predictions are inaccurate?
Reply 2

I’m not a law applicant (med instead) but I’m in a similar situation and I would say make sure your personal statement stands out as it would be the other thing being weighed heavily. Maybe apply for unis that don’t look at predicted grades as well
Hi there,

I understand how you're feeling. There are a few reputable universities with a low but decent entry requirement. Coventry University, for example, require students to have achieved a BBB, however if you're lucky, you MAY be entitled to the Turing Scheme, which will bring the entry requirements down to CCC. Have a look at Aston University and University of Law.

I also highly recommend attending virtual and in person events hosted by Law firms and universities. Networking and connecting with lawyers and individuals working within the law field can definitely open up doors. Mentioning this in your personal statement can also make your personal statement stand out. I would also recommend completing work placements or simply work shadow at a law firm for free. Work shadowing especially for free, demonstrates your enthusiasm and you won't require any prior experience when you ask a law firm if you could work shadow.

Alternatively, there's always apprenticeship.
I just want you to realise it won't be the end of the world if you don't get an offer from universities or attend a reputable university. There are so many opportunities out there in the world. Broaden your horizon. You got this. 😊

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
There are hardly ever any decent unis for law in clearing. I think Liverpool, Cardiff & Sheffield were in this year & ok, but not sure what they were accepting. Their offers were around AAA so maybe ABB, I doubt very much they’d accept much less for law if honest, it’s a really competitive course at the top 20 ranked unis tbh.

One of the other good non RG unis for law is Lancaster. I think it’s ABB or AAB but it might take lower after results.

Quite honestly though, I wouldn’t be pinning your hopes on law in clearing. If those grades are right on course for you then I’d be looking at applying for foundation courses at Uni & going in that way. It’s an extra year but it might mean you end up at a better uni in the long run.
Reply 5
The answer you are looking for might entail taking a gap year. You could always bet on yourself and your abilities to prove your student advisor wrong and get higher actual grades. I think there is a process known as adjustment, that might fit your dilemma, though I am unsure how it entirely works.

Alternatively, if you do surpass your predicted grades you could take a gap year and then apply to those 'reputable law schools' with those grades already in hand.

Good luck
Original post by vnupe
The answer you are looking for might entail taking a gap year. You could always bet on yourself and your abilities to prove your student advisor wrong and get higher actual grades. I think there is a process known as adjustment, that might fit your dilemma, though I am unsure how it entirely works.

Alternatively, if you do surpass your predicted grades you could take a gap year and then apply to those 'reputable law schools' with those grades already in hand.

Good luck

Adjustment unfortunately no longer exists in UCAS. Only clearing or extra (if you aren’t holding any offers but wouldn’t be applicable unless the OP had already applied).

A gap year would be a good idea if results end up better than predicted. But for a fail safe I’d be applying to foundation courses while studying, if they are better then you can decline the course & apply elsewhere next year with grades in hand.
Reply 7
Original post by BarryScott2022
Adjustment unfortunately no longer exists in UCAS. Only clearing or extra (if you aren’t holding any offers but wouldn’t be applicable unless the OP had already applied).

A gap year would be a good idea if results end up better than predicted. But for a fail safe I’d be applying to foundation courses while studying, if they are better then you can decline the course & apply elsewhere next year with grades in hand.

Thank you this is helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending