The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law

Hi all,
I'm currently in Year 12 taking English Literature, Law and Psychology. I am hoping to get at least one A star and two A's however my GCSE results were very disappointing I got
76555555 and a LV2 Merit.
Despite this, my results were very good contextually considering the school I went to was a very low-performing school (Progress 8 score is -0.12 and only 40% passing maths and English with an average grade of 3). If I excel at A level at my new school with a better support system will I have a chance at Cambridge or any other top Russell Group Law school?
Reply 1
Original post by bare-mouth
Hi all,
I'm currently in Year 12 taking English Literature, Law and Psychology. I am hoping to get at least one A star and two A's however my GCSE results were very disappointing I got
76555555 and a LV2 Merit.
Despite this, my results were very good contextually considering the school I went to was a very low-performing school (Progress 8 score is -0.12 and only 40% passing maths and English with an average grade of 3). If I excel at A level at my new school with a better support system will I have a chance at Cambridge or any other top Russell Group Law school?

I would phone admissions at some of your unis of choice and ask.You are in year12 so try and get along to some open days and talk to admissions there too.Oxford have a few contextual schemes going so give them a call.It might mean doing a foundation year but well funded if that interests you.You need to get good A level predictions and do well in the LNAT too of course.
Cambridge tend to not weight GCSEs that heavily and see an "upwards trajectory in grades" positively.

Whether a uni is RG or not is irrelevant - there are plenty of RG unis not especially well known for law, and there are some non-RG unis that fare much better for law. The RG is a political lobbying group masquerading as a postgraduate research consortium - and in either event, this has no bearing on teaching. It also has really little bearing on employment matters for the most part. The few roles where your university may matter don't actually care if the uni is RG or not, they care if it's one of their target unis - and while most target unis are RG, not all RG unis are target unis.

So yes you have a perfectly reasonable chance at Cambridge and most (exceptions probably being Oxford and LSE) law courses otherwise, RG or not.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge tend to not weight GCSEs that heavily and see an "upwards trajectory in grades" positively.

Whether a uni is RG or not is irrelevant - there are plenty of RG unis not especially well known for law, and there are some non-RG unis that fare much better for law. The RG is a political lobbying group masquerading as a postgraduate research consortium - and in either event, this has no bearing on teaching. It also has really little bearing on employment matters for the most part. The few roles where your university may matter don't actually care if the uni is RG or not, they care if it's one of their target unis - and while most target unis are RG, not all RG unis are target unis.

So yes you have a perfectly reasonable chance at Cambridge and most (exceptions probably being Oxford and LSE) law courses otherwise, RG or not.

I get where you're coming from in terms of RG unis being irrelevant however I am trying to get as far as I can in the law sector and going to a top uni will give me those connections and a better chance at getting into valued law firms. Alternatively I may do a solicitor apprenticeship
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
I would phone admissions at some of your unis of choice and ask.You are in year12 so try and get along to some open days and talk to admissions there too.Oxford have a few contextual schemes going so give them a call.It might mean doing a foundation year but well funded if that interests you.You need to get good A level predictions and do well in the LNAT too of course.

thank you :smile:
Original post by bare-mouth
I get where you're coming from in terms of RG unis being irrelevant however I am trying to get as far as I can in the law sector and going to a top uni will give me those connections and a better chance at getting into valued law firms. Alternatively I may do a solicitor apprenticeship

My point, which you have missed, is that there are "top unis" outside of the RG that will also work to get you to that goal. Bath and St Andrews are very notable ones; SOAS law grads actually had the highest starting salaries as NQ lawyers (although there may be additional factors behind that). The point is things are less black and white than you think and you need to understand RG is not shorthand for "top university".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending