The Student Room Group

Numerical methods- Show that f(x)=0 has a root near to x=5

Here's the question:
When I read it, I subbed in 4.9 and 5.1
My question is, how do I know which numbers to sub in or why 5 was subbed in this case ?
Screenshot (44).png

Also, is the graph of y= x^ 1/2 here correct ?
Screenshot (45).png
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Leah.J
Here's the question:
My question is, how do I know which numbers to sub in or why 5 was subbed in this case ?
Screenshot (44).png
I think it's fine to sub in 4.9 and 5.1, but it's very obvious what f(x) is when x = 5, so you get that the root is between 4.9 and 5 with a little less calculation.

Screenshot (45).png
I would say not; there seems to be a fairly strong consensus that x\sqrt{x} should be taken as always meaning the +ve square root only. (I am personally always a little uncomfortable about this, due to 3rd year university complex analysis courses that always give me a strong sense of "it depends", but for A-level my understanding is it's the +ve root).
Reply 2
Original post by Leah.J
Here's the question:
Screenshot (44).png

Screenshot (45).png

In an exam you'd get a more specific question and it wouldn't say "near to x = 5".
Original post by DFranklin
I would say not; there seems to be a fairly strong consensus that x\sqrt{x} should be taken as always meaning the +ve square root only. (I am personally always a little uncomfortable about this, due to 3rd year university complex analysis courses that always give me a strong sense of "it depends", but for A-level my understanding is it's the +ve root).

Yeah, to me that graph is showing y2=xy^2=x rather than y=xy = \sqrt{x}, although whether the graph shown is strictly correct or incorrect would depend on the question asked. Here, it shouldn't matter either way as y=xy = -|\sqrt{x}| doesn't intersect y=2/xy = 2/x anyway, but a question where it does matter should make a distinction.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest