The Student Room Group

Maths statics normal distribution statistics

I am revising normal distribution, and I am just wondering about the question below.

"NORMAL DISTRIBUTION HYPOTHESIS TESTING"
https://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/hypothesis_testing_normal_distribution.pdf

Question 20 (****)
A pharmaceutical company spokesman claims that a certain pill contains 250 mg of
active ingredient. Tests carried out on 120 tablets resulted in a sample mean of
249 mg, with a standard deviation of s mg.
If the pharmaceutical company's spokesman claim was just rejected at the 5% level of
significance, find the largest possible value of s, correct to 1 decimal place.

I know how to do the calculations, however, why is this not a one-tailed test, as the sample mean is 249, which is lower than 250? Are we not checking the claim on the basis that there is insufficient mass in the tablets? And how can I distinguish between a one-tailed and a two-tailed test because for some of these questions, as I got in a bit of a muddle? Another one is below:

Question 9 (**+) "

The battery lifetime of a certain make of laptop is claimed to have a mean of 6.6 hours
and variance of 3.9 hours^2.
The battery lifetimes of forty such laptops were measured and the mean was 6.1 hours.
Determine, at the 10% level of significance, whether the claim on the battery life
of the laptop is justified.

Here are we not testing just the fact that u < 6.6 as our sample mean was lower? What is it that makes these two-tailed test?.

If you need some context of what I'm talking about and the solutions to these questions, then the URL above has the questions posted, and you need to go to pages 30 and 41
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by criptonight
I am revising normal distribution, and I am just wondering about the question below.

"NORMAL DISTRIBUTION HYPOTHESIS TESTING"
https://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/statistics/hypothesis_testing_normal_distribution.pdf

Question 20 (****)
A pharmaceutical company spokesman claims that a certain pill contains 250 mg of
active ingredient. Tests carried out on 120 tablets resulted in a sample mean of
249 mg, with a standard deviation of s mg.
If the pharmaceutical company's spokesman claim was just rejected at the 5% level of
significance, find the largest possible value of s, correct to 1 decimal place.

I know how to do the calculations, however, why is this not a one-tailed test, as the sample mean is 249, which is lower than 250? Are we not checking the claim on the basis that there is insufficient mass in the tablets? And how can I distinguish between a one-tailed and a two-tailed test because for some of these questions, as I got in a bit of a muddle? Another one is below:

Question 9 (**+) "

The battery lifetime of a certain make of laptop is claimed to have a mean of 6.6 hours
and variance of 3.9 hours^2.
The battery lifetimes of forty such laptops were measured and the mean was 6.1 hours.
Determine, at the 10% level of significance, whether the claim on the battery life
of the laptop is justified.

Here are we not testing just the fact that u < 6.6 as our sample mean was lower? What is it that makes these two-tailed test?.

If you need some context of what I'm talking about and the solutions to these questions, then the URL above has the questions posted, and you need to go to pages 30 and 41
Thanks in advance :smile:

To me these questions are a bit ambiguous - that's what will happen sometimes with "unoffical" questions. But I think a general rule of thumb will be to assume two-tailed if the question doesn't specify what's being tested.

You're assuming that e.g. the 249mg result was found and then they decided to create a hypothesis test using it. What's more likely in reality would be that they design a hypothesis test and then they get the 249mg result in their test. So before the test, it's up to them whether they do a 1-tailed or 2-tailed test since they haven't seen the 249mg result yet. Does that make sense?

I recommend looking at textbook/exam questions from your exam board and you'll see how official questions are written.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
To me these questions are a bit ambiguous - that's what will happen sometimes with "unoffical" questions. But I think a general rule of thumb will be to assume two-tailed if the question doesn't specify what's being tested.

You're assuming that e.g. the 249mg result was found and then they decided to create a hypothesis test using it. What's more likely in reality would be that they design a hypothesis test and then they get the 249mg result in their test. So before the test, it's up to them whether they do a 1-tailed or 2-tailed test since they haven't seen the 249mg result yet. Does that make sense?

I recommend looking at textbook/exam questions from your exam board and you'll see how official questions are written.

Right, thanks a lot. I did think the style of question was a bit odd, as in my 'exam board endorsed' textbook they explicitly say whether its OT or TT, but at least I know now, thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest