The Student Room Group

Why do many Cambridge colleges not list STEP as a requirement for maths?

This list for reference:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/mathematics_subject_requirements.pdf

Over half of the colleges listed on the document don't have STEP as a typical requirement for entry. I was under the impression that STEP II and III was a necessary component of maths applications to Cambridge, so this leaves me slightly confused.
Original post by lolsfromabove
This list for reference:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/mathematics_subject_requirements.pdf

Over half of the colleges listed on the document don't have STEP as a typical requirement for entry. I was under the impression that STEP II and III was a necessary component of maths applications to Cambridge, so this leaves me slightly confused.

Note the rubric at the top: "All Colleges require A Level/IB Higher Level Maths, A Level Further Maths, and STEP". Granted, the rest of the "Additional Requirements" column is inconsistent in presentation between colleges, but you should read the document as a whole in the light of this.
@Doones for clarification...
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
@Doones for clarification...

Yes @Gregorius has covered it.

It's a poorly completed table. Some Colleges are participating in the alternative offer scheme so perhaps it's something to do with that.

"Depending on individual circumstances, some Colleges1*may make an A Level applicant an offer which will be met if they achieve either A*A*A with at least grade 1 in two STEP papers or A*A*A* with at least grade 1 in one of the two STEP papers taken."

1*Downing, Emmanuel, Fitzwilliam, Jesus, King’s, Lucy Cavendish, Newnham, St Catharine’s, Sidney Sussex, Trinity Hall.
I think the college have put additional requirements as 1 in step 2 and 3 if they're not willing to be flexible. Whereas as the ones who have left it blank mean they could be flexible on an offer? (Higher or lower than standard).

Just a thought. It does say that all colleges require STEP (but doesn't specify the grades)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending