The Student Room Group

chemistry questions

Hi, I have a few random questions. Firstly, how do you write the structural formula of cyclic compounds e.g. cyclohexane, would this be ch2ch2ch2ch2ch2ch2 ? Also, what are the conditions for elimination to occur predominantly (as oppose to nucleophilic substitution)? I understand that it is "alcoholic" and "warm", but is this all I need to know - why is this?

What's the difference between geometric and stereoisomerism? Does one occur within the other, or are they the same? Can you please give some examples?

Finally, what is the meaning/definition of charge density? Is it just the ratio of the volume of a species to its charge, (or vice versa)?
Reply 1
1) I think writing (CH2)6 is the correct way
2) the main condition for elimination is that it is done in ethanolic( alcoholic) condition with the mixture warm and under reflux.
3)Geometric isomers are isomer with the same molecular and structural formula but a different arrangement of substituents with respect to the carbon double bond, in 3D space. Stereoisomers are isomer with the same molecular and structural formula but a diffrent arrangement of the atoms in 3-d space. So they are not the same. Geometric isomer is an example of stereoisomers.
- enter into the search bar ( b5258bba133e5b02768950528e36993f.jpg )
4)charge density is electric charge per unit volume
Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest