The Student Room Group

Edexcel a level geography

the exam's on wednesday and i am STRESSED.

i've done notes for all the topic areas but am struggling with case studies and finding practice questions because i am so bad at the actual exams.

any help or resources will be hugely appreciated, thankyou

-stressedgeographystudent

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orangeorangutan
the exam's on wednesday and i am STRESSED.

i've done notes for all the topic areas but am struggling with case studies and finding practice questions because i am so bad at the actual exams.

any help or resources will be hugely appreciated, thankyou

-stressedgeographystudent

I’ve got pages of practise questions separated by topic which I can take pictures of and send to you
that would be great if you could, thank you so much. are there mark schemes as well so i can check my answers afterwards? :smile:
Original post by hattie0110
I’ve got pages of practise questions separated by topic which I can take pictures of and send to you

They don’t, however it’s quite simple to look them up online and see the answer so sorry about that ): I’m not sure how to send photos on here unless it’s a link, so would it be okay to just let me send them to you via social media I guess? Unless you know another way?
I'll send you a private message :smile:
They don’t, however it’s quite simple to look them up online and see the answer so sorry about that ): I’m not sure how to send photos on here unless it’s a link, so would it be okay to just let me send them to you via social media I guess? Unless you know another way?
Anyone have an idea of what could be the 12 and 20 marker for paper 1? im panicking
same Ive been re-reading old essays and dk how I'm gonna do that in the exam

Original post by tfh
Anyone have an idea of what could be the 12 and 20 marker for paper 1? im panicking
i have no idea and am also struggling. i'm not sure what the predictions could be and it's all down to those 12 and 20 marker :frown:
Original post by tfh
What would you write for this question:
Evaluate the view that climate change is the most important factor in influencing coastal flood risk? (20 marks)

-Why climate change e.g. melting ice sheets and glaciers
-Thermal expansion
-more extreme weather events e.g. storm surges

Other factors:
-urbanisation
-mangrove removal
not sure what else for other factors??
Reply 9
We are all ****ed
@Hollie.oliviaHuman activities such as building embankments/polders (increased the flood risk during Cyclone Aila (Bangladesh, 2009)
Original post by Chandong
@Hollie.oliviaHuman activities such as building embankments/polders (increased the flood risk during Cyclone Aila (Bangladesh, 2009)

Thanks but what is a polder??
You've mentioned some really good factors, but for the 'other' section I would talk about coastal management and human activities other than urbanisation. The use of coastal defences will decrease coastal flood risk rapidly and then maybe give some relevant examples!
Original post by Hollie.olivia
What would you write for this question:
Evaluate the view that climate change is the most important factor in influencing coastal flood risk? (20 marks)

-Why climate change e.g. melting ice sheets and glaciers
-Thermal expansion
-more extreme weather events e.g. storm surges

Other factors:
-urbanisation
-mangrove removal
not sure what else for other factors??
Original post by Pamplemousse19
You've mentioned some really good factors, but for the 'other' section I would talk about coastal management and human activities other than urbanisation. The use of coastal defences will decrease coastal flood risk rapidly and then maybe give some relevant examples!

What examples would you use? I don’t have any :/
if you need case studies for hard engineering against coastal flooding I can send?
EXAMPLE OF HAPPISBRUGH

Happisburgh coastal management
Happisburgh is on the North Norfolk coast.
Failed management and lack of funding to maintain existing structures led to a failed attempt to protect the coastline from coastal recession.
The village has a population of 1,400 people. Since 1998, a group of residents have been working to campaign for renewal of the failing defences.
They are the CCAG (Coastal Concern Action Group).
Powerful destructive waves from the North Sea have caused an average erosion rate of approximately 0.9m per year.
During the 90’s, the rate of erosion increased because of the failure of wooden defences
The shoreline management plan changed to ‘no active intervention’ implemented.
But after campaigns from CCAG, the shoreline management plan was changed to ‘managed realignment’.
Following fundraising in 2012, rip-rap was placed on the beach to help dissipate the wave’s energy and protect people’s homes and businesses.
Continued protection of the coastline through maintaining the existing structures or installing new engineering techniques is undecided at the moment.
The government believes the economic cost to install new defences is not cost-effective compared with the properties at risk.
also could use the data and etc from these but obviously tailored to the exam q
(only 2 of 3 paras written)

Evaluate the view that hard engineering approaches to coastal management produce more winners than losers (20)

Hard engineering is a coastal management technique used to protect coasts by introducing man-made structures to absorb wave energy, preventing erosion and subsequent flooding.

SOUTHWOLD
Locals residents can be winners because if hard engineering is used then they will be protected from flooding and coastal recession. Sea walls reduce the wave energy on the coast, decreasing the rate of erosion and therefore protecting residents assets such as housing. Southwold is a prime example of a sea wall protecting local residents as it has prevented a cost of £80million worth of damage. Due to coastal management, a large number of residents have been made winners, due to the fact that £80million worth of damage has been protected. However, hard engineering doesn’t protect all residents. In the context of groynes, they prevent longshore drift which builds up the beach sediment. However, on the other side of the groynes, the beach is starved of sediment, and so the beach further down the coast is more prone to high rates of erosion. This could put the housing of local residents at risk and result in decreasing house value, due to the vulnerability of erosion, resulting in a loss of money for the residents, making them losers. In Southwold, the groynes have prevented longshore drift from happening which has stopped beach sediment from moving North. This in form has affected one local resident, called Mr Boggis, whose cliff side area has had an increase in erosion. Using hard engineering techniques such as groins can create winners at the extent of some residents who may be losers. Overall, when considering the amount of local residents, there are more winners than losers. This is evident due to the small number of rescinders who have been negatively affected by the coastal management, while more have benefited from the protection it has provided.

HOLDNERESS

Holdnerness, for example, is Europe’s fastest eroding coast and groynes were put in place to dissipate wave energy and decrease the rate of erosion. Groyne’s effectively trap sediment, preventing longshore drift and allowing beach sediment to build up. Due to coastal management, Holderness’s population of 2093 residents have been made winners because their business and assets are protected. However, hard engineering does not protect everyone. The area directly south of Holderness, Great Cowden, now has an even greater rate of erosion. Sediment feeding the beaches has stopped due to the groynes in Holderness. Making Great Cowdens coast suffer from terminal groynes syndrome. The lack of beach means the waves reach the flick during reap tide, increasing the rate of erosion and ultimately putting their residents homes at risk, which decreases their house values and ultimately leads to a loss of money for Great Cowdens population of 153. Using hard engineering such as Groynes, can increase winners at the extent of some residents who may be losers, which is evident because more residents have benefitted from the coastal management, whilst again, a small number of rescinders have been made losers.
don't know if this helps but hopefully it does! also everyone is super worried about the exam - really hoping the ground boundaries are low due to lack of spec papers and lack of prior exams!! but anyway just wishing you good luck :smile: edexcel is making me want to cry constantly haha
also have a file I've compiled of mostly notes off Seneca learning but also example exam questions and mostly fully written answers - let me know if that would help too.
also sorry for horrendous spelling mistakes, last line of the holderness case study is residents* not rescinders

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending