The Student Room Group

Edexcel a level geography

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thilly27
so like you would evaluate the physical factor by saying that humans can exacerbate the effects

Would evaluate each physical factors signifcace then in main conc say how humans are altering the cycle soexacerbating the effects eg lower flows from anthropogenic climate change
I can't remember sorry
hey do you know what came up in the AS geography for hazards
and the 20 marker - it usually a combination of coast and tectonics
how do you evaluate the significance of physical factors could you give me an examples please
Original post by Hollie.olivia
Would evaluate each physical factors signifcace then in main conc say how humans are altering the cycle soexacerbating the effects eg lower flows from anthropogenic climate change
e.g. climate is the most significant physical factor in the DB as it determines the vegetation, precipitation type and amount, so influences the fluxes (surface runoff/infiltraton) thus the volume and time taken for water to reach the river
how do you evaluate the significance of physical factors could you give me an examples please
yes e.g. climate is important for vegetation growth, but humans can alter the cycle so reducing its significant e.g. grassland conversion/urbanisation

so like you would evaluate the physical factor by saying that humans can exacerbate the effects
thank you soo much
yes e.g. climate is important for vegetation growth, but humans can alter the cycle so reducing its significant e.g. grassland conversion/urbanisation
hi i've private messaged my email address, thanks you :smile:
Original post by tiredandfailing
hmm its not letting me attach the file.. anyway you could send your email and ill email it through?
Do you need an introduction for a 12 marker??
Reply 68
I was taught to just define the key term in the question as an introduction
Original post by lolasmithy
Do you need an introduction for a 12 marker??
how would I evaluate impacts of costal flooding
can someone give me a plan please
how would I evaluate impacts of costal flooding
can someone give me a plan please

Do a case study - say what was the main driver of the flood eg was is physical/human reasons - split impacts by social/economic/environmental - then could possibly say if the cause of the flood was on a global scale eg. ENSO cycles cause flood events on a global scale or was it local scale eg. Urbanisation in the region which meant more impermeable surfaces to be built etc. Always good to put in a little paragraph at the end before conclusion talking about the future eg. With climate change and threat of extreme weather events likely to increase in frequency and severity, it may be worthwhile for UK gov to invest funds in flood defences to decrease the impacts felt in the future and then evaluate that by saying but in reality it’s developing countries which will feel the greatest impact due to lack of economic development - this is just how I would do it!
I'm struggling with this question which I found in a booklet online with no mark scheme attached:

Assess how far hydrometeorological hazards contribute to tectonic disasters (12 marks)

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
I've come across another one I'm stuck on too :

Assess the significance of various fluxes in regulating the hydrological cycle (12 marks)
for this question you could talk about multiple hazard zones
for example
Philippines experiences cyclones which leads to heavy flooding that means that people focus on recovering from these events than becoming resilient to tectonic hazards - so there is a greater risk

in some cases severe cyclones can destroy natural barriers such as mangroves - so no natural defence against tsunamis

but you can talk about the role of governance in providing education strategies , evacuation plans and things
Original post by orangeorangutan
I'm struggling with this question which I found in a booklet online with no mark scheme attached:

Assess how far hydrometeorological hazards contribute to tectonic disasters (12 marks)

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
thank you so much, that makes much more sense. i was unsure how to link in hydrometeorological events to the tectonic disasters but you've made it really clear. thank you again!!!
for this question you could talk about multiple hazard zones
for example
Philippines experiences cyclones which leads to heavy flooding that means that people focus on recovering from these events than becoming resilient to tectonic hazards - so there is a greater risk

in some cases severe cyclones can destroy natural barriers such as mangroves - so no natural defence against tsunamis

but you can talk about the role of governance in providing education strategies , evacuation plans and things
for this you could talk about
interception and explain its role in the water cycle
you could evaluate by saying how it's role is being threatened by deforestation especially in the Amazon rainforest , so its significance is declining

and you could also talk about infiltration - but this is heavily dependent on permeable surfaces , however impermeable surfaces due to heavy urbanisation , so in some parts there is severe flooding.

conclusion , both are important , but their significance is being threatened human activities.

this is what I would write , I'm not entirely sure
Original post by orangeorangutan
I've come across another one I'm stuck on too :

Assess the significance of various fluxes in regulating the hydrological cycle (12 marks)
thank you so much, i really appreciate. good luck with the exam :smile:
for this you could talk about
interception and explain its role in the water cycle
you could evaluate by saying how it's role is being threatened by deforestation especially in the Amazon rainforest , so its significance is declining

and you could also talk about infiltration - but this is heavily dependent on permeable surfaces , however impermeable surfaces due to heavy urbanisation , so in some parts there is severe flooding.

conclusion , both are important , but their significance is being threatened human activities.

this is what I would write , I'm not entirely sure
how did everyone do in coursework? hoping it saves me from the exam tbh
ive got 61/70 but I still need to do well in physical because i hate human
how did everyone do in coursework? hoping it saves me from the exam tbh
wow thats so good well done! I find human harder too but I usually do better in it? I think physical papers are generally harder to score well in

ive got 61/70 but I still need to do well in physical because i hate human

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending