The Student Room Group

Women in male roles am I being stupid or do I have a point?

I've noticed a lot of TV shows and movies are being made with women in mens roles I don't mean this like happened in Alien when Sigourney Weaver beat the competition for the part of Ripley (It was originally met to be a male part) that's great the part had dent been played before so it was an original character and I can't imagine anyone else in the part.

It's more when they replace guys with women just because lets take Ghostbusters for instance the cast are funny people I've seen SNL sketches with each of them in and they are great, but it just didn't work as well as with Dan Ackroyd Bill Murray Ernie Hudson and the late Ivan Reitman if they had cast them as separate characters it might have worked (well it wouldn't because it was a bad script) but it might have been a bit better actually allowing them to develop a character earthen than trying to emulate the original actors.

The same has happened with Doctor who They have put a woman in the lead role made it really preachy about political correctness and actually I noticed was very anti men in the posited I saw and I saw a report yesterday that the BBC have cast Whoppie Goldburg as Richard the Third As far as I'm aware Richard the Third was not an African American woman. That's like casting Woodey Alan as Bat man it just dosen't work.

I have no problem with a strong leading lady Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of my all time favorite TV shows. But if a part is established by a man (or woman) playing it why change it? it just seems to make it worse.
I understand what you mean. That is actually true. Just stick to the right gender people.
Unless there's something intrinsic about a character that's tied to their gender or some other key characteristic, I really don't care as long as they make a good movie. For example James Bond is a quintessentially male character and quintessentially english, but I wouldn't care if somebody of a different race was cast as long as it was still a well portrayed Bond in a well made Bond film. In the same vein there is nothing necessarily male about the Ghostbusters concept and Doctor Who is a shape changing alien, if they want to do a female interpretation of them and they do it well, I've got no issues. Nothing about these interpretations is inherently doomed.

The problem with both Ghostbusters and Doctor Who is that they are both badly put together pieces of television/film. Ghostbusters was a mediocre mess that tried to use its all-female gimmick as a crutch for a crap story and cringeworthy comedy, while Doctor Who has suffered from sh*t writing for years now. Oceans 8 was the exact same thing too, despite Widows coming out the same year and doing an all-female heist film really well.
Why are ghost busters male roles?
Why is Dr Who a male role? What makes it essential the person playing that role has a ****?
Original post by Waldorf67
Why are ghost busters male roles?
Why is Dr Who a male role? What makes it essential the person playing that role has a ****?

Ghostbusters are male roles because they were originally envisioned as male roles and the version with women did a **** job that's why I'm not saying don't cast women or do it with women just don't make the gender switch.

I take your point wit doctor who but you can't deny with the male actors it was much better.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Ghostbusters are male roles because they were originally envisioned as male roles and the version with women did a **** job that's why I'm not saying don't cast women or do it with women just don't make the gender switch.

I take your point wit doctor who but you can't deny with the male actors it was much better.

But why do you think the remakes were rubbish on the sheer basis that they were a female cast?
Maybe the remake would have not been as good regardless of the gender.

Ghost busters had an awesome cast, I think it was just trying to be too family friendly. If the Director used some of the Bridesmaids style humour it would’ve been hilarious.

And as far as I’m aware, people like the new Doctor...
Original post by Waldorf67
But why do you think the remakes were rubbish on the sheer basis that they were a female cast?
Maybe the remake would have not been as good regardless of the gender.

Ghost busters had an awesome cast, I think it was just trying to be too family friendly. If the Director used some of the Bridesmaids style humour it would’ve been hilarious.

And as far as I’m aware, people like the new Doctor...

It's not on the "sheer basis that they were a female cast" it's that the characters were originally male changing the cast to women threw people because the male cast was so iconic and they focused on their gender a bit too much rather than the actual story. As i say it's not the fact they are women it women taking over a a mans role.If they were original characters like a new team that would have been OK I mean it still might have been a bad film but I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

The vast majority do not like the new series of Doctor whoactually according to rotten tomatoes and Meta critic if you look at the audience rating.
They were original characters.
Original post by jonathanemptage
It's not on the "sheer basis that they were a female cast" it's that the characters were originally male changing the cast to women threw people because the male cast was so iconic and they focused on their gender a bit too much rather than the actual story. As i say it's not the fact they are women it women taking over a a mans role.If they were original characters like a new team that would have been OK I mean it still might have been a bad film but I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

The vast majority do not like the new series of Doctor whoactually according to rotten tomatoes and Meta critic if you look at the audience rating.

Quick Reply

Latest