The Student Room Group

Uncomfortable about doing clinical skills sessions on/with peers

I just started first year med this year and I’m happy but I’m starting to worry for clinical skill sessions, as I believe you practice on/with peers. She (the clinical skill lead) seemed very stern and very much so that they wouldn’t listen to me.
I’m a bigger guy- fat, to be honest, and the idea of taking my top off etc with peer/peers even with a professional is just really uncomfortable to me. I know I and others should be professional but if we’re being honest, I know being the big guy that it’s going to be spoke about outside the sessions. It’s frustrating because I want to enjoy and have fun with medicine but I know I can’t focus thinking about stuff like this and it’ll hinder my performance. I’m sure everyone has to take part too.
I’m obviously working to change my body but it’s no overnight solution (I wish).

Anyone have any experience of dealing with this? It seems stupid but it’s genuinely making me stress in ways I can’t explain.
Reply 1
bump?
Reply 2
It is not compulsory to have other students examine you. You need to consent to all examinations, even those in learning settings. Especially those in learning settings. And your classmates should have no issue with it. They have to get used to patients having varying levels of comfort around examinations or things like respecting cultural beliefs.

If you do want to get involved, all examinations can be practiced whilst you’re wearing a shirt and lightweight trousers. You’re there to learn the steps and go through the motions. It’s not about finding signs at this point. And even in real life there are plenty of times where you will examine the chest through a top.

Just please don’t feel pressured into doing something you’re not comfortable with
Reply 3
In my five years of medical school I never examined a colleagues resp/cardio system or anything that involved removing clothes to be honest.

Your medical school might be different but I highly doubt you’ll be doing examinations on each other. That’s super weird. They are much more likely to have simulated patients for you to examine.

Either way you must consent to be examined (in ANY circumstance). I don’t think there will be any expectation to take your top off, they surely wouldn’t expect the female students to be topless so the same standards will apply to male students.
At my medical school, the same is expected. Someone did a big complaint and they moved from an entire room of 'men' and 'women' (as though homosexuality doesnt exist) to smaller rooms. Greeeat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending