The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lol, all the calculation questions were a bunch of guesses for me... im useless at them..

what did you guys get for the number of moles for the first part of some question... and then the second part i think you divided by 2, because there was a 1:2 ratio.. really dont go by that lol, i didnt know so i just had a stab..
Reply 81
^ Unfortunately it wasn't a 1:2 ratio, it was a 1:1...

Althought it was I2, that's still only one mole of iodine.. So the answer for the second part should have been exactly the same as your question 1..

All I remember is that it was something x10^-4.. 4.85 x 10^-4 or something ? Which should have been left the same for both a and b. Then when you got to the final part you had to multiply it by 10, as it was moles in 250cm^3 rather than 25cm^3.
mituozo
^ Unfortunately it wasn't a 1:2 ratio, it was a 1:1...

Althought it was I2, that's still only one mole of iodine.. So the answer for the second part should have been exactly the same as your question 1..

All I remember is that it was something x10^-4.. 4.85 x 10^-4 or something ? Which should have been left the same for both a and b. Then when you got to the final part you had to multiply it by 10, as it was moles in 250cm^3 rather than 25cm^3.

true.. damn! schoolboy errors all over the place.. ive gotta learn to read info properly in exams, i always make little mistakes.. oh well, i think that was only 1 mark, i think i got the first part right in that paper...

also some of the later calculations, one of the latter parts, were we supposed to use E=hv to find the frequency?

and i know this is unit one discussion, but to find the average of strontium isotopes, was it like (88x71)+(87x7)... etc / 100? loads of these calculations they ask im useless at...
PindropSilence

also some of the later calculations, one of the latter parts, were we supposed to use E=hv to find the frequency?

and i know this is unit one discussion, but to find the average of strontium isotopes, was it like (88x71)+(87x7)... etc / 100? loads of these calculations they ask im useless at...

E=hf, just rearrange to give E(you got that in the previous part)/h

And on the isotopes, yeah, i'm fairly sure it was what you had shown, worked out to be 87.7 I think:confused:

Calculations are luckily one thing i can do usually well
initiation
E=hf, just rearrange to give E(you got that in the previous part)/h

And on the isotopes, yeah, i'm fairly sure it was what you had shown, worked out to be 87.7 I think:confused:

Calculations are luckily one thing i can do usually well

yes! 87.7! i got a calculation question right! :biggrin:

whats that like 3 marks? awesome.. lol
Isotopes? Was this in 2848 or another exam?
scaryhair
Isotopes? Was this in 2848 or another exam?

nah sorry... 2850 chem for life..

i never understood why they number them like that... with 2849 being an A2 exam :s-smilie: lol
Oh I see thanks lol. I was nearly starting to panic then!
This exam was horrible eurgh
lol
but i recognise some of the answers so fingers crossed :smile:
xx
Reply 89
anyone got any ideas on what the grade boundaries will be like?
Reply 90
RJFarmer

usually, the grade boundaries are around 72-77% for an A in natural resources. this is judging by the examiners reports, where the grade markers are.
RJFarmer

well it depends on overall performances really... jan 08 was as follows:

Jan 08 CNR (out of 90)

A=70 (78%)
B=62
C=54
D=46
E=39

------------------

Jan 08 CFL (out of 75)

A=57 (76%)
B=50
C=43
D=37
E=31
Reply 92
PindropSilence
well it depends on overall performances really... jan 08 was as follows:

Jan 08 CNR (out of 90)

A=70 (78%)
B=62
C=54
D=46
E=39

------------------

Jan 08 CFL (out of 75)

A=57 (76%)
B=50
C=43
D=37
E=31

Thanks, I like to know these because after an exam if I have enough time I usually go through the paper to see how many dead certain marks I picked up so that I can feel slightly less stressed about results day knowing that at least I got a pass.

Thanks to you as well hodgey for answering my question.

Does anyone else do this btw? I know al my friends think it's a bit wierd
Yeah, but I do it the other way round - I count the dead certain marks I DIDN'T get lol!
scaryhair
Yeah, but I do it the other way round - I count the dead certain marks I DIDN'T get lol!

lol same.. count them then take em off the number of marks..

heck then i say well maybe i was being generous, so i take another odd 5 marks off.. :p:
Me too! I also dock a few off every question just for general mistakes too :rolleyes: That way I can sort of calculate the minimum mark I get, and hopefully when it comes to results day it's a nice surprise!
Reply 96
Ah no, for the AgCl structure i put Ag as the small molecule & Cl as the big molecule, as i hardly even thought about it and compared it to NaCl in which Na is the small molecule :frown:

Never mind
Reply 97
scaryhair

never thought of doing it the other way around, but i do only count the dead certain ones, that couldn't possibly be wrong so it is my lowest minimum score possible. I then usually add half of that score to itself to make a predicted percentage for myself its usually wrong, but for the months between taking my exam and getting the results, I feel good about myself lol.
Iankk
Yep, pleased with that exam. My two environmental problems, was the waste rock, and the difficulties encountered when attempting to dispose of it. The second was the noise pollution from the engines required to provide the pressure in the water-jets.

The way i reduced the problem of the noise pollution would be to plant trees surrounding the mining area to act as a natural sound barrier.

:smile:

good ones! i'm loving the 'trees acting as a natural sound barrier'. lol i put the waste rock one down and erm... destroying a habitat for animals? :confused:
scaryhair
I wrote something along the lines of how it's got extensive hydrogen bonding in it, so the attractive forces are harder to separate, and it takes so much energy to pull the chains of polymer apart that it becomes insoluble or barely soluble. (etc etc)

yes! yes! yes! i put hydrogen bonding down and said exactly what you said. but in the exam i had this feeling that i should put the 'instantaneous induced dipole'- cos that didn't come up at all, did it? :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending