The Student Room Group

chemistry a level question

multiple choice question - sodium hydroxide was poured into an empty measuring cylinder with 0.05cm^3 divisions. a student read a value of 2cm^3 for the volume of sodium hydroxide in the measuring cylinder. which of these gives the correct recording of the absolute uncertainty?

a) 2±0.025
b) 2±0.03
c) 2±0.05
d) 2±0.1

i thought the answer was A but the answer's B???? if anyone could explain I woudl really appreciate it. thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by m.z.n
multiple choice question - sodium hydroxide was poured into an empty measuring cylinder with 0.05cm^3 divisions. a student read a value of 2cm^3 for the volume of sodium hydroxide in the measuring cylinder. which of these gives the correct recording of the absolute uncertainty?

a) 2±0.025
b) 2±0.03
c) 2±0.05
d) 2±0.1

i thought the answer was A but the answer's B???? if anyone could explain I woudl really appreciate it. thank you in advance :smile:

It's about significant figures - you cannot have an inaccuracy to a greater degree of precision than the actual measurement.
Reply 2
Original post by charco
It's about significant figures - you cannot have an inaccuracy to a greater degree of precision than the actual measurement.

thank you for replying but I'm still confused. when working out uncertainty don't you normally half the smallest division for that piece of equipment so why would you round it to the same number of significant figures. in other questions where the uncertainty is given, it is usually to a higher more precise degree so it is only because in this question the degree uncertainty is unknown that you round it. thank you again

Quick Reply

Latest