The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Economics A Paper 2 23rd May 2019

Scroll to see replies

I don’t think it’s gonna be that low. 78 for A* like last year is my guess
Original post by FrontOfficeBllr
Last years paper does like slightly easier in comparison, so i dont know like A*-73,A-65,B-56,C-47 or something like that?
Original post by TSTRIKER
Do you have to include the decimals?
I just wrote 115 !

Nope you should be fine there’s a tolerance
Reply 242
Good paper overall. Did section A first, followed by the 25 marker (the one on fiscal deficit/debt). First paragraph was on how Keynesian belief that the government should intentionally run a deficit as part of an expansionary fiscal policy during a recession, whilst the classical/Austrian school argue that this will harm a recovery due to the crowding out effect. Then talked about how a deficit may deter consumption/FDI because it indicates an economy is in recession, however this depends on the type/size of deficit.

Section B was okay, though I could have done with a little more time on the 12 and 15 markers. For the 12 marks I talked about how controlling inflation may worsen the current account deficit, and for the 15 marker I mentioned external costs, the 2008/9 bank rescue package and moral hazard!
yes!! thank you - this is along the lines of what i wrote so glad someone else is on the same page
Original post by mustardsauce
yes finally someone who has understood the word IMPACTS and not policies implemented to reduce it, very common mistake.
Original post by mustardsauce
yes finally someone who has understood the word IMPACTS and not policies implemented to reduce it, very common mistake.

Could use policies for evaluation?
I know I’m not wrong but I just want you to explain why you think I’m wrong. A fiscal deficit does imply high rates of govt spending. Therefore you can link it to an AD shift and then bring it Keynesian economic theory to back it up. My second point is entirely relevant and analysed and evaluated fully contextualised to the question. I thought we were over this but how can you even try and correct me after you put down conglomerate integration in paper 1. Come on now
Original post by FrontOfficeBllr
Not really. His third paragraph is the only one thats relevant.
(edited 4 years ago)
The issue I had was that I wrote 4 points with 2 evaluations (I should have used 3😭)and graphs and a judgement. (25 marker)
Is alright that I left 2 evaluations out?
It’s level marked so depends how deep you’re evaluation was and how good your conclusion was
Original post by ChemEng456
The issue I had was that I wrote 4 points with 2 evaluations (I should have used 3😭)and graphs and a judgement. (25 marker)
Is alright that I left 2 evaluations out?
Original post by Nsbfbsidnfnf
It’s level marked so depends how deep you’re evaluation was and how good your conclusion was

Couldn't graphs be used as evaluative points? Would that count and the graph being explained as well
Reply 249
For question 8 about the fiscal deficit

I said that:
Point 1:
With a fiscal deficit the govt will not have enough money or tax revenue to improve public services such as healthcare and education and then talked about a chain on how that would effect the economy

Point 2: as my country was primary product dependent I talked about that with a deficit thee government would not have enough money to implement a buffer stock scheme as they will not be able to buy up any excess supply. And then talked about how this would lead to fluctuating prices in commodities and how that would effect the economy.

Not sure if this is right and I'm actually panicking someone pls help. Would this be ok?????
Could someone please enlighten me what are the impacts of deficit and national debt?
Reply 251
A budget deficit doesn't mean the government isn't spending any money. It means that it is spending more than tax revenues, so there may be healthcare, education spending (as in the UK which runs a budget deficit) but some of this is being financed by government borrowing.
Original post by TOP GG
For question 8 about the fiscal deficit

I said that:
Point 1:
With a fiscal deficit the govt will not have enough money or tax revenue to improve public services such as healthcare and education and then talked about a chain on how that would effect the economy

Point 2: as my country was primary product dependent I talked about that with a deficit thee government would not have enough money to implement a buffer stock scheme as they will not be able to buy up any excess supply. And then talked about how this would lead to fluctuating prices in commodities and how that would effect the economy.

Not sure if this is right and I'm actually panicking someone pls help. Would this be ok?????
It’s a few hours late for that isn’t it?
Original post by chieula2301
Could someone please enlighten me what are the impacts of deficit and national debt?
Also u can talk about the current account - countries with a domestic savings gap will accrue foreign debt obligations to finance debt servicing costs, causing a surplus on the financial account and a widening of the current account deficit. When they ask about the effect on the economy, u usually have to talk about unemployment growth current account inflation etc
Original post by LeonDH
A budget deficit doesn't mean the government isn't spending any money. It means that it is spending more than tax revenues, so there may be healthcare, education spending (as in the UK which runs a budget deficit) but some of this is being financed by government borrowing.
Sorry what
Original post by ssssssssssssss
Also u can talk about the current account - countries with a domestic savings gap will accrue foreign debt obligations to finance debt servicing costs, causing a surplus on the financial account and a widening of the current account deficit. When they ask about the effect on the economy, u usually have to talk about unemployment growth current account inflation etc
essentially countries have to borrow from other countries to finance debt if there aren't enough loanable funds in their own countries - worsens the current account

Original post by Nsbfbsidnfnf
Sorry what
Also u can talk about whether the debt is foreign denominated or not - a country with a fixed currency regime may have to internally devalue if it doesn't have enough foreign exchange reserves to finance their foreign debt
Original post by ssssssssssssss
essentially countries have to borrow from other countries to finance debt if there aren't enough loanable funds in their own countries - worsens the current account
Original post by chieula2301

Crowding out is the main one
Is there an unofficial mark scheme for this paper floating about?
I found the paper okay but ran out of time. How much do you reckon it will be for a Grade C?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending