The Student Room Group

Describe briefly the technique of steam distillation - A level chemistry

I'm not sure I understand the method correctly so correct me if I'm wrong please.
Steam is passed over the rxn mixture and then the steam carries vapors of the wanted volatile product which is then passed into a condenser that condenses and distills off the product with the water.
Reply 1
@Pigster do you mind answering this please ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Leah.J
I'm not sure I understand the method correctly so correct me if I'm wrong please.
Steam is passed over the rxn mixture and then the steam carries vapors of the wanted volatile product which is then passed into a condenser that condenses and distills off the product with the water.

Sounds about right.

It is also used to remove desired volatiles from solids, e.g. extraction of lavender oil from the plant.
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
Sounds about right.

It is also used to remove desired volatiles from solids, e.g. extraction of lavender oil from the plant.

I cannot understand this question. Can you help me?
Why can't the answer be C?
Reply 4
Original post by Saman_B9
I cannot understand this question. Can you help me?
Why can't the answer be C?

Ultimately, the plan is to separate the volatiles from the initial material AND then separate it from the water (steam). Two layers allow you to do this.

If the BP of the volatile were slightly above 100oC, then it could still evaporate, even though it isn't boiling. Think about heating water to 80oC, you'd have a dry container before too long.
Reply 5
Thank you so much for helping!!! :smile:
Original post by Pigster
Ultimately, the plan is to separate the volatiles from the initial material AND then separate it from the water (steam). Two layers allow you to do this.

If the BP of the volatile were slightly above 100oC, then it could still evaporate, even though it isn't boiling. Think about heating water to 80oC, you'd have a dry container before too long.

Quick Reply

Latest