The Student Room Group

A level chemistry required practical help

Hi I just started A level chemistry and I'm doing my first required practical soon, but I was wondering do the required practicals come up as exam questions in the written A level exam, so do I memorise the methods, risk assements etc of the practicals?

I'm not sure how to revise them, or what to revise because I'm being assessed on the practicals in the science practical endoresment exam, so what do I revise for the exam paper? I've looked at the specification but it hasn't answered my question
Reply 1
Yes, they can ask the reasons for steps in the method, to label apparatus, to describe the method etc.
Reply 2
Original post by no jams
Yes, they can ask the reasons for steps in the method, to label apparatus, to describe the method etc.

For practicals In the textbooks they have specific numbers allocated for different practicals do I need to remember those and use those exact values in my practical endorsements, is it that when I do my practical endorsement the examiner who is testing my understanding on how to carry out the experiment will give me the values for the task needed to perform the practical endorsement? I am doing alevels independently so I would love to know how the procedure is for the practical endorsement as I have emailed so many teachers but no one seems to be responding, was hoping you could help me know what is to be expected for the practical endorsement please, as do I need to know* the measurements of stuff needed for the practical, e.g. if I read in a textbook that I need 0.5mol of sodium solution, would I need to remember that 0.5mols for my practical exam experiment?
Reply 3
Original post by Blue3542
For practicals In the textbooks they have specific numbers allocated for different practicals do I need to remember those and use those exact values in my practical endorsements, is it that when I do my practical endorsement the examiner who is testing my understanding on how to carry out the experiment will give me the values for the task needed to perform the practical endorsement? I am doing alevels independently so I would love to know how the procedure is for the practical endorsement as I have emailed so many teachers but no one seems to be responding, was hoping you could help me know what is to be expected for the practical endorsement please, as do I need to know* the measurements of stuff needed for the practical, e.g. if I read in a textbook that I need 0.5mol of sodium solution, would I need to remember that 0.5mols for my practical exam experiment?

That's a very good question. I'm also wondering what is expected from us as I'm a homeschooled student. In your first post you said you weren't sure on how to revise. I've also been thinking about that and i've planned to write out the experiment step by by step including descriptions of the set up and safety measures. I will do this after every 3 chapters. I don't know if this helpful to you or not🤷*♀️
Reply 4
Original post by VAN.DE.SUZY
That's a very good question. I'm also wondering what is expected from us as I'm a homeschooled student. In your first post you said you weren't sure on how to revise. I've also been thinking about that and i've planned to write out the experiment step by by step including descriptions of the set up and safety measures. I will do this after every 3 chapters. I don't know if this helpful to you or not🤷*♀️

After emailing various teachers and YouTubers I found out that we only need to learn and understand the techniques, safety procedures and variables for the experiment we do not need to memorise e.g. exactly 43.2grams of sodium solution as when we are doing the practicals they give us writen out instructions to follow and perform a teacher told me that “If they are running the practicals like a school or college does they will provide you with a set of instructions that you will follow to carry out the practicals to generate the results that you will analyse etc.
To achieve a pass in the practical endorsement you only need to be able to demonstrate proficiency in the practical techniques (which includes how you present your results) You are not assessed on your ability to perform the calculations. That's done via the written exam.“
Reply 5
Original post by no jams

For ocr a chemistry alevel practical 12 is a research practical what would you be doing, in terms of what is the research about and would they provide me with a topic to research and only then and there in the lab I’d be researching that specified topic? What is that practical about?

Quick Reply

Latest