The Student Room Group

IGCSE Additional Mathematics Revision!

Poll

What are your expectations for IGCSE Add Maths results?

I created this thread for anyone taking IGCSE Additional Mathematics (0606), feel free to ask questions and help each other out! We shall pass with first good understanding of maths, then good results :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
@arianasamantha Here’s the working out to Q7 of the 0606/M/J/22/15 paper 😊

IMG_8869.jpg
May I ask how you do question 8 paper 12 spring 2018?
Reply 3
Original post by Pencilmonkey

Is it this one? 0606/22/F/M/18
Q8 with e and logarithms right?
Reply 4
Original post by Ryuvision
Is it this one? 0606/22/F/M/18
Q8 with e and logarithms right?

sorry, wrong paper. Is it the kinematics question in 0606/12/F/M/18 ? @Pencilmonkey
Wait sorry. I meant summer. So sorry
Reply 6
Wait sorry. I meant summer. So sorry

0606/12/M/J/18 Trigonometry right?
Yes.
0606/12/M/J/18 Trigonometry right?
Reply 8

Q8(a) Use the trigonometric identities, then solve the quadratic
IMG_8870.jpg

Q8(b) Obtain one trig identity then solve for given range
IMG_8871.jpg
You’re a lifesaver! Thank you so much!
Q8(a) Use the trigonometric identities, then solve the quadratic
IMG_8870.jpg

Q8(b) Obtain one trig identity then solve for given range
IMG_8871.jpg
Thank you!

IMG_8869.jpg
I do feel like im going to fail this exam tho, the grade boundaries are so high and im competing against so many incredibly smart students.. i have no chance and the grade boundaries are going to b so high

IMG_8869.jpg
Reply 12
I can’t do much to help at this point, but all I can say is just do your best of what you know. I always think of it as competing against myself, not against other students. Its a shame really, the boundaries make it quite a big feat to even get an A. But thats just because the exam wants only the best of the best to attain that grade.
Believe in yourself, even though you might not be set to get the A grade, you could at least try your best to attain the B or C, which is a fairly respectable grade for such a hard course. Youve already failed half of your exam before you even sat it by thinking that youll fail.
Very best of luck with Paper 1 today. After that youll have until Friday to prepare for Paper 2, so you can ask any questions in this thread, and hopefully me or the others will be able to help you out.
The fact that youre doing this course already means youre pretty good at maths!
So believe in yourself, whatevers gonna happen is gonna happen, and again, good luck!!
thank you! that already gave me a confidence boost! ive done sm work for it and im planning on taking math at a levels. I got an A* in math 0580 and thats all u need here, this is just an extra gcse, but im aiming for B/A
I can’t do much to help at this point, but all I can say is just do your best of what you know. I always think of it as competing against myself, not against other students. Its a shame really, the boundaries make it quite a big feat to even get an A. But thats just because the exam wants only the best of the best to attain that grade.
Believe in yourself, even though you might not be set to get the A grade, you could at least try your best to attain the B or C, which is a fairly respectable grade for such a hard course. Youve already failed half of your exam before you even sat it by thinking that youll fail.
Very best of luck with Paper 1 today. After that youll have until Friday to prepare for Paper 2, so you can ask any questions in this thread, and hopefully me or the others will be able to help you out.
The fact that youre doing this course already means youre pretty good at maths!
So believe in yourself, whatevers gonna happen is gonna happen, and again, good luck!!
How was add math today guys?
i totally failed, now i have to ace paper 2 to scraapppee a C
Did anyone else do paper 12?
Original post by arianasamantha
Reply 16
Original post by arianasamantha

Hey! Paper 12 was actually alright, despite challenging! It was funny my class of 20 came out and almost everyone got different answers for the last question lol. As dreaded, the vectors & velocity (plane + wind direction) got me, so did perms and combs. so that bit was ****. But the rest was quite okay!
For those who did 12, the topics that didn't come up and are likely to be in 22 are:
1. Surds
2. Matrices
3. Trig (prolly a graph to sketch + some identities/proofs) these sometimes carry a load of marks!
4. Vectors (most likely the diagram this time) these also sometimes have many subquestions that can go up to 10 or so marks, so you're pretty much screwed if you don't know how to do part (a)(i)
5. Functions
6. Binomial Expansion
7. Remainder Theorem
8. Logarithms
9. Kinematics
10. Rates of change, and of course some more diff./integration
Sketching graphs (absolute graphs, etc.)

These are all I could think of. Have a very nice rest and good luck revising for Paper 2! Any questions are welcome to be posted here, and I'll try my best to reply with an answer.
omg yes i'm almost sure that i got all 8 marks off that vectors question lol
what did you get for the last question? i don't remember the specific numbers but i got a really weird fraction!! 70 something over 30 something i think??
Hey! Paper 12 was actually alright, despite challenging! It was funny my class of 20 came out and almost everyone got different answers for the last question lol. As dreaded, the vectors & velocity (plane + wind direction) got me, so did perms and combs. so that bit was ****. But the rest was quite okay!
For those who did 12, the topics that didn't come up and are likely to be in 22 are:
1. Surds
2. Matrices
3. Trig (prolly a graph to sketch + some identities/proofs) these sometimes carry a load of marks!
4. Vectors (most likely the diagram this time) these also sometimes have many subquestions that can go up to 10 or so marks, so you're pretty much screwed if you don't know how to do part (a)(i)
5. Functions
6. Binomial Expansion
7. Remainder Theorem
8. Logarithms
9. Kinematics

These are all I could think of. Have a very nice rest and good luck revising for Paper 2! Any questions are welcome to be posted here, and I'll try my best to reply with an answer.
dont worry, im sure u did very well xx
im doing varient 11 in a few hours, so the boats and perms and combs may come up in r paper too 😭
did they ask questions like "write the number of possibilities if the two twins cannot b separated"
1. Surds
2. Matrices
5. Functions
6. Binomial Expansion
7. Remainder Theorem
8. Logarithms
9. Kinematics

Reply 19
Original post by kim49159
omg yes i'm almost sure that i got all 8 marks off that vectors question lol
what did you get for the last question? i don't remember the specific numbers but i got a really weird fraction!! 70 something over 30 something i think??

For the last question Imma try to remember it and solve it again. I think I got it wrong cause of a silly mistake I made in the end, but I'm confident my method can give me at least 4/7 marks. Do you happen to remember the equation of the curve?
I remembered we had to use the product rule to diff it to find the gradient at x=7/3, then find the normal gradient which was something like -3/13, then use y-y1 = m(x-x1) to find the equation of the normal. Then equate x=0 to find where it meets the y-axis. I think the correct exact answer was 73/39 (which I didn't get)
I'll need the equation of the curve to work it all out on paper tho :/

Quick Reply

Latest