The Student Room Group

Amount of Substance question

1.00 g of sulphur dissolved completely in an excess of liquid ammonia to give 420 cm3 of hydrogen sulphide
(H2S), measured at 273 K and 101 kPa, and also a solid containing the elements nitrogen and sulphur. Deduce
the empirical formula of the solid.

The markscheme finds the number of moles of sulphur
1/32=0.03125 and then the number of moles of hydrogen sulphide= 0.42/22.4=0.01875
Could someone please explain why they divided it by 22.4??
Reply 1
it is the volume of 1 mol of hydrogen sulphide gas at 273k.not the molecular formula
PVNRT.jpg
This is based on OCR if you use another exam board they may still use 22.4 :smile:
You would just skip the Pv = nRT and find moles by doing Volume (dm^3) / 24 (Or your molar gas volume)
Original post by Currygirl63
PVNRT.jpg
This is based on OCR if you use another exam board they may still use 22.4 :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much! I don't do OCR, I do AQA. I guess it's an old spec question because I remember reading about 24dm3 for one mole of gas.
PVNRT.jpg
Reply 5
The markscheme says the formula is NS, I'm assuming what you calculated is the molecular formula?
You would just skip the Pv = nRT and find moles by doing Volume (dm^3) / 24 (Or your molar gas volume)
Ah yes, sorry about that, didn't read that bit :biggrin:
Original post by knksj112
The markscheme says the formula is NS, I'm assuming what you calculated is the molecular formula?
Reply 7
It's ok. Thank you for the help.
Ah yes, sorry about that, didn't read that bit :biggrin:
PVNRT.jpg

How come u r using kPa instead of Pa for pressure in the first calculation?

Quick Reply

Latest