The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Economics without maths

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum for the question but I'm interested in applying for economics, politics and international studies at Warwick uni. Does anyone know if I can major in economics without having done maths a level?

I'm looking at the list of modules at the moment and the only issue is that EC120 (quantitive techniques) doesn't have a link for some reason so I can't see whether a level maths is a required prerequisite or not.

Thank you !!
If the uni requires you to take maths then yes (as you’ll need it to successfully apply). I have no idea about the maths in degree level economics but from my experience of a level economics the maths is basic. I heard from my teacher that it does get more complex at university level but I’m not sure to what extent.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
You should do maths A level, the content is very useful for economics in general at degree level. I'm sure places will take you without maths A level, but you may need to quickly increase your ability in maths just to pass the course. I'm talking about basic statistics, linear algebra, calculus and optimisation here.
Reply 3
You could have just clicked on "entry requirements"...

Reply 4
For the epais course, maths a level is not required but that's because there is the option to major in either economics or pais and yes, my cousin does economics and it definitely has lots of maths but I wouldn't have to take as many/the same modules since im doing joint honours
Original post by rosieredcheeks1
If the uni requires you to take maths then yes (as you’ll need it to successfully apply). I have no idea about the maths in degree level economics but from my experience of a level economics the maths is basic. I heard from my teacher that it does get more complex at university level but I’m not sure to what extent.
Reply 5
It's too late, I already dropped it because it was by far my worst a level subject (im currently only doing geography, history and econ now) and I think it was unlikely that I was going to get an A. That being said, I did do a year of it (and I do mostly understand it) so I guess it puts me slightly ahead of the people who didn't do any a level maths on the epais course
Original post by maachu_pichuu
You should do maths A level, the content is very useful for economics in general at degree level. I'm sure places will take you without maths A level, but you may need to quickly increase your ability in maths just to pass the course. I'm talking about basic statistics, linear algebra, calculus and optimisation here.
Reply 6
But I want to know about majoring in economics. It could be that those who didn't do maths a level can only major in politics and international relations but I wouldn't know that from looking at the entry requirements.
Original post by Sinnoh
You could have just clicked on "entry requirements"...

Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
But I want to know about majoring in economics. It could be that those who didn't do maths a level can only major in politics and international relations but I wouldn't know that from looking at the entry requirements.

But then that means you'd be good to go. If they don't say then they don't require it - and besides, even if you did do A-level maths they'd probably teach you the relevant mathematical skills anyway just so that everyone's on the same level.
Why would you want to study economics though if you don't really like maths?
Reply 9
Okay thanks. It's just that I'd rather not have to major in pais if I had to have done maths a level to major in economics since the modules for the different majors are obviously different
Original post by Sinnoh
But then that means you'd be good to go. If they don't say then they don't require it - and besides, even if you did do A-level maths they'd probably teach you the relevant mathematical skills anyway just so that everyone's on the same level.
Because I'm interested in stuff like how the government influences the economy (so fiscal and monetary policy etc) and I want to learn more about the concepts I'm studying at a level rather than economics as as mathematical study
Original post by lucypaulman
Why would you want to study economics though if you don't really like maths?
Reply 11
Hey there, I study economics at Warwick so should be able to help.

In your first year, you'll have to do EC120 which is made up of (EC121 or EC123), (EC122 or EC124) and EC125. As you won't have an A in A level maths you'll have to pick EC121 and EC122 instead of EC123 and EC124. EC121 and EC122 are the easier versions of maths and stats compared to EC123 and EC124. You might struggle with EC125 without EC124 however it is a group project so you should be fine.

For majoring in economics in second year, you will have to choose EC203 or EC226. You will have to take EC203 instead of EC226 as EC226 requires the harder maths and stats modules from your first year. Therefore, as you can choose EC203, you can major in economics without A level maths if you're doing EPAIS at Warwick, however some of these modules will still be quite mathematical (even if they are the easier versions).
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum for the question but I'm interested in applying for economics, politics and international studies at Warwick uni. Does anyone know if I can major in economics without having done maths a level?

I'm looking at the list of modules at the moment and the only issue is that EC120 (quantitive techniques) doesn't have a link for some reason so I can't see whether a level maths is a required prerequisite or not.

Thank you !!
Thank you so much !! This is exactly what I needed x
Original post by bpn365
Hey there, I study economics at Warwick so should be able to help.

In your first year, you'll have to do EC120 which is made up of (EC121 or EC123), (EC122 or EC124) and EC125. As you won't have an A in A level maths you'll have to pick EC121 and EC122 instead of EC123 and EC124. EC121 and EC122 are the easier versions of maths and stats compared to EC123 and EC124. You might struggle with EC125 without EC124 however it is a group project so you should be fine.

For majoring in economics in second year, you will have to choose EC203 or EC226. You will have to take EC203 instead of EC226 as EC226 requires the harder maths and stats modules from your first year. Therefore, as you can choose EC203, you can major in economics without A level maths if you're doing EPAIS at Warwick, however some of these modules will still be quite mathematical (even if they are the easier versions).
Because I'm interested in stuff like how the government influences the economy (so fiscal and monetary policy etc) and I want to learn more about the concepts I'm studying at a level rather than economics as as mathematical study

Same here ughh I’m so confused

Quick Reply

Latest