The Student Room Group

Return to medicine after 12 years of gap...Needing advice !!!

I am IMG (International Medical Graduate, outside of EEA).
I worked as a doctor having a total of seven years postgraduate experience since qualifying. Stopped working in 2007 arriving to UK.
In 2012, GMC approved my general med. qualification and internship, but not registered as it was more than 5 years gap in practice.
I didn`t pursued med career at that time.. Now, I am having 12 years of gap, but want to be back to practice.
What I should do apart of taking PLAB? I would prefer to start from FY1 ..
The problem is that GMC already accepted my internship. It looks like that only doctor with no acceptable internship can apply for provisional registration.. Am I right?
Anyway I would rather start from FY1?
What are my other options? Please, help me!
Reply 1
thank you for your reply, but it looks like to get registered with licence to practice, I should have at least 3 years out of 5 of medical activities at least.. so 3 years of clinical observership would be almost impossible to find and implement
Reply 2
that`s why I apart of PLAB I am thinking of FY1... but GMC perhaps will not give me a provisional registration as I already had internship (outside of EEA, but accepted by GMC - they calculated all hours)
Reply 3
So, your advice ladies and gents is very needed)))

what is better to do? My options?
Not sure about you being able to start from FY1 given you've had a lot more experience than a UK newly graduated - you would have to apply with the usual cohort although it's worth bearing in mind that this year in particular there have been over 400 people on the reserve list for foundation jobs, many of these being subject to RLMT (can't remember the acronym) meaning that those educated in EU/UK/EEA would automatically be ahead of you on the list.
The figures can be found here:
http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2018-12/UKFP%202019%20Application%20Status%20Report.pdf

This also gives a little more info on foundation applications for the current cycle:
http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2019-03/UKFP%20Allocation%20Statement%20-%207th%20March%202019.pdf

Given the numbers it may be worth considering applying for specialty training post or a trust grade post - you would need to do the PLAB regardless of stage in order to be allowed to practise in the UK.
Reply 5
Original post by thatonethere
Not sure about you being able to start from FY1 given you've had a lot more experience than a UK newly graduated

I currently work with an FY2 who was an anaesthetics reg 20 years ago before taking a career break to have a family, and then going on to other things. After 20 years she most definitely did restart as an FY1, it is an option and probably the most sensible one
Reply 6
Original post by Ghotay
I currently work with an FY2 who was an anaesthetics reg 20 years ago before taking a career break to have a family, and then going on to other things. After 20 years she most definitely did restart as an FY1, it is an option and probably the most sensible one

Thank you very much)) As far as I understand she had previous internship done (YF1)…

- Would you, please, ask her how she overcome the GMC requirement that only doctors with no internship (with no FY1 done) can apply for the Provisional Registration followed and then do FY1 ?? what was she way?

- Was she IMG ? and if yes, did she pass PLAB ?
If you are not allowed to apply for an fy1 training post then I think a junior clinical Fellow (ideally with shadowing for a few weeks in the same hospital) would be your best bet . As the year gets going there will be lots of rota gaps developing. The only problem is most of these are at an "sho" level but if you're not picky about location it should be possible to find an f1 level job
Reply 8
Original post by fishfacesimpson
If you are not allowed to apply for an fy1 training post then I think a junior clinical Fellow (ideally with shadowing for a few weeks in the same hospital) would be your best bet . As the year gets going there will be lots of rota gaps developing. The only problem is most of these are at an "sho" level but if you're not picky about location it should be possible to find an f1 level job

Thank you very much for your advice!
Forgive my ignorance, I just came across with “the Junior Clinical Fellow”.. and.. You, definitely, much more informed in the subject. If you don`t mind, I`d like to ask you several questions:

1. Is it MD position? I meant only doctors with acceptable primary qualification can apply for this?
2. Do the Junior Clinical Fellow needs GMC or any other time of registration?
3. If I got post as the Junior Clinical Fellow, then, which way would lead me to full GMC- registration as doctor with license to practice?

Thank you, again,
Raf
1.) You can apply for trust grade FY1 jobs which requires full GMC registration but you get access to portfolio just like F1 trainees. You just need to ask during interviews for access to portfolio and after that you can apply for stand alone F2 post.2.) For past 2 years, around January the foundation school does recruitment F1 post august start and any of gmc licence is acceptable. Its called stand alone job. Have a look at foundation school website or give them a call.
Reply 10
Hi! I am in a similar situation. Qualified/Finished the internship in December 2015, practiced for a bit and then in September 2017 moved to the UK to pursue a MSc in Public Health.

The GMC accepted all my evidence (internship included) up until September 2017 but the MSc. in Public Health counts as a career break (what!!), so I am now in a position where I have to justify my "career break" and cannot apply for provisional license because they accepted my internship.

If anyone has any advice on how to structure the personal statement career break justification for the GMC please let me know!

Cheers,
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending