The Student Room Group

Can I send off more than one personal statement + GCSE requirements

Growing up I have always wanted to be a dentist however as I start year 12 at a rocky school I'm unsure whether I can effectively drive myself to A*AA/AAA just because it's super hard (looking at the grade boundaries of 2023) and really competitive.

This of course gave me a dilemma which I had to solve, do I do dentistry or do I do the next best thing, medicine?
My answer was neither since they both require similar grades and until I do my mocks at the end of 2024, I don't know if I can do it.

So I had chosen to do many different courses after weeks of research and talking to my friends (who all took these courses and the unis I wanted to apply to).
The list goes as follows:
UCL - Audiology (AAB)
UH - Radiotherapy (BBC/BBB)
CITY - Radiography (BBB)
Manchester - Dentistry (AAA) (maybe with foundation if the results are not there (AAB)

My initial idea was that I would apply to all of these schools with different personal statements however apparently I can only send only one?
This is a problem to me as of course the courses I would like to do are all different from each other.

So if someone could lmk whether I can send one off to each Uni or if there's something I could do (like make it super general?) i'd appreciate it.

My other question was that for some of the Unis I would like to attend (such as Manchester) require seven GCSEs grade 7+ but I did not get seven GCSEs grade 7 and above apart from the core subjects (for the core subjects I got a mixture of 8s and 7s) and while the sciences would've counted lovely, I did combined so i only got one grade.
Please lmk if I will still get accepted in the school (hypothetically speaking if I do meet the requirements for the university).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by limbobimbo
Growing up I have always wanted to be a dentist however as I start year 12 at a rocky school I'm unsure whether I can effectively drive myself to A*AA/AAA just because it's super hard (looking at the grade boundaries of 2023) and really competitive.

This of course gave me a dilemma which I had to solve, do I do dentistry or do I do the next best thing, medicine?
My answer was neither since they both require similar grades and until I do my mocks at the end of 2024, I don't know if I can do it.

So I had chosen to do many different courses after weeks of research and talking to my friends (who all took these courses and the unis I wanted to apply to).
UCL - Audiology (AAB)
CITY - Radiography (BBB)
Manchester - Dentistry (AAA) (maybe with foundation if the results are not there (AAB)

My initial idea was that I would apply to all of these schools with different personal statements however apparently I can only send only one?
This is a problem to me as of course the courses I would like to do are all different from each other.

So if someone could lmk whether I can send one off to each Uni or if there's something I could do (like make it super general?) i'd appreciate it.

My other question was that for some of the Unis I would like to attend (such as Manchester) require seven GCSEs grade 7+ but I did not get seven GCSEs grade 7 and above apart from the core subjects (for the core subjects I got a mixture of 8s and 7s) and while the sciences would've counted lovely, I did combined so i only got one grade.
Please lmk if I will still get accepted in the school (hypothetically speaking if I do meet the requirements for the university).

Yes, you can only send 1 personal statement.
If you really want to do dentistry, do not make it generic! Dentistry is hard enough to get into, you don't want your personal statement to sound like you're unsure.
With the GCSEs, as I have already said dentistry is very very competitive so you may be at a disadvantage to other applicants with your GCSEs.
If you're just starting college, I wouldn't worry about all that just yet , focus on getting the best grades you can. You need to apply strategically once you start completing your UCAS.
Reply 2
Original post by spectrum84
Yes, you can only send 1 personal statement.
If you really want to do dentistry, do not make it generic! Dentistry is hard enough to get into, you don't want your personal statement to sound like you're unsure.
With the GCSEs, as I have already said dentistry is very very competitive so you may be at a disadvantage to other applicants with your GCSEs.
If you're just starting college, I wouldn't worry about all that just yet , focus on getting the best grades you can. You need to apply strategically once you start completing your UCAS.

Dammit, I rly wanna get into dentistry and I think if my predicted are good I'm going to apply to every dentistry university possible (well only 5 but still).
If not i'm probably gonna go into radiography
Dammit, I rly wanna get into dentistry and I think if my predicted are good I'm going to apply to every dentistry university possible (well only 5* but still).

UCL - Audiology (AAB)
CITY - Radiography (BBB)

I think you need to get some shadowing experience for the courses you are interested in and attend some uni open days to narrow down your choices. My daughter had four courses in mind at the start of year 12, but after three open days and shadowing experience for two options, she had narrowed it down to radiotherapy. You could attend some open days this term to get the ball rolling:

https://www.opendays.com/
all the courses you're considering can fill their places many times over with applicants who are 100% committed to studying that subject and working in that career. Trying to put together a PS that covers multiple health degrees and careers is just setting yourself up to fail.

Get as much experience as you can, including volunteering or working in care settings (for example most areas will have NHS dental practices to serve patients with additional needs and accompanying those patients to their appointments would normally be the job of the care and PA staff in assisted living), focus on your grades and plan for a gap year after completing your A levels to maximise your application options and chances of getting an offer for the course you want.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot

UCAS says i can applyto 5 unis?
UCAS says i can applyto 5 unis?

You have 5 choices
You can only use 4 choices for medicine, dentistry or vet degrees
Reply 8
So my fifth choice would have to be another course in healthcare or another course interely?
How would I then write my personal statement?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
all the courses you're considering can fill their places many times over with applicants who are 100% committed to studying that subject and working in that career. Trying to put together a PS that covers multiple health degrees and careers is just setting yourself up to fail.

Get as much experience as you can, including volunteering or working in care settings (for example most areas will have NHS dental practices to serve patients with additional needs and accompanying those patients to their appointments would normally be the job of the care and PA staff in assisted living), focus on your grades and plan for a gap year after completing your A levels to maximise your application options and chances of getting an offer for the course you want.

I thought taking a gap year was bad?
So my fifth choice would have to be another course in healthcare or another course interely?
How would I then write my personal statement?

Other courses, particularly those in healthcare, are used to seeing personal statements based on medicine.

A gap year isn't bad if it gets you where you want to be. They are especially for common for med/dentistry related programmes as they are competitive and often require reapplyig, or taking a year out to get relevant experience.

Hundreds of students rush into continuing onto undergrad straight after college because they think a gap means 'falling behind'. They end up dropping out or changing courses, (as well as wasting a year of funding). They'd have been much better served taking a gap to think things over and find out what they actually want to apply to.

I took a gap year and it was probably the best decision I ever made. I felt more prepared to go to uni, better prepared academically and more comfortable in myself. If it is the best option for you then take it!
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
A gap year isn't bad if it gets you where you want to be. They are especially for common for med/dentistry related programmes as they are competitive and often require reapplyig, or taking a year out to get relevant experience.

Hundreds of students rush into continuing onto undergrad straight after college because they think a gap means 'falling behind'. They end up dropping out or changing courses, (as well as wasting a year of funding). They'd have been much better served taking a gap to think things over and find out what they actually want to apply to.

So lets say I want to take a gap year but I got into one of my chosen Unis, is there a way i can secure a place there guaranteed and just join the next year?
Reply 14
Original post by _Rusty_
I took a gap year and it was probably the best decision I ever made. I felt more prepared to go to uni, better prepared academically and more comfortable in myself. If it is the best option for you then take it!

A gap year definitely sounds really enticing
A gap year definitely sounds really enticing

Well it sounds like a good idea then. When you come round to applying to uni again make sure you come back to TSR to get some help:smile:

Enjoy your gap year!
So lets say I want to take a gap year but I got into one of my chosen Unis, is there a way i can secure a place there guaranteed and just join the next year?

Contact the uni directly and ask if you can defer your place. If they agree, you’ve got a place for next year. If they say no, you can always apply to them again in the next cycle.
Dammit, I rly wanna get into dentistry and I think if my predicted are good I'm going to apply to every dentistry university possible (well only 5 but still).

Don't use up all your choices on denstistry, keep one as a backup in case you don't get in :smile:
Original post by spectrum84
Don't use up all your choices on denstistry, keep one as a backup in case you don't get in :smile:

You can only apply to 4 anyway, the same as medicine.
Reply 19
Original post by admit-one
contact the uni directly and ask if you can defer your place. If they agree, you’ve got a place for next year. If they say no, you can always apply to them again in the next cycle.

ohhh so thts what deferred entry means!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending