The Student Room Group

average age of first year med students/should i take a gap year

i’m in year 12 right now and i want to study pharmacology/pharmacy, as my grades are not where i want them to be to start applying for universities, many of my teachers are suggesting taking a gap year after year 13, i do have a slight worry that i will be older than everyone, i will be a 19 yr old female and i wanna know if that’s unusual for first years as preferably i do not want to be older than my friends
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Heya

I personally took a gap year and I promise you it's not unusual. in my uni there are more people that have taken a gap year than those who left year 13. no one even talks about age after the first few weeks of starting so if you wanna go for a gap year, do it!

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by sxraphina.
Heya

I personally took a gap year and I promise you it's not unusual. in my uni there are more people that have taken a gap year than those who left year 13. no one even talks about age after the first few weeks of starting so if you wanna go for a gap year, do it!

hope this helps :smile:

yess thank you it did!!, if you don’t mind me asking what university do you go to?
Original post by anon.47
yess thank you it did!!, if you don’t mind me asking what university do you go to?

I'll dm you :smile:
Reply 5
Nobody will care. Just don't be a Gap Yah bore.

(Took a gap year before uni a million years ago, was 19 when I started and literally made no difference).
Original post by anon.47
i’m in year 12 right now and i want to study pharmacology/pharmacy, as my grades are not where i want them to be to start applying for universities, many of my teachers are suggesting taking a gap year after year 13, i do have a slight worry that i will be older than everyone, i will be a 19 yr old female and i wanna know if that’s unusual for first years as preferably i do not want to be older than my friends

I feel u, I was worrying about that too as i would be in the same situation as u but honestly one year isnt that much , just make sure u put urself out there the first few weeks, even if it is out of ur comfort zone, as afterwards ull have a solid friend group and wont need to socialize as heavily and ofcourse it isnt the normal but we wont be the only ones, i am sure other people will be in similar situations and its not like it is a generational gap. I felt the same way about the friends but i feel like ur group can be a mix of both.
Reply 7
Original post by anon.47

This is really, really not a big deal at all. The difference between starting at 19 vs 18 is just non-existent.

(I was 22 when I started).
Reply 8
Original post by anon.47

It wouldn’t matter at all if you’re 18 or 19.

In fact, even if I don’t take a gap year I’ll be 19 from the very start of my first year because I was born in early September so it doesn’t matter! Good luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending