The Student Room Group

Bad yr 12 mocks….

so I’m usually a A/A* student so I wasn’t too worried with mocks coming up in yr 12 and I didn’t do much revision especially because my mental health was absolutely horrendous and I just didn’t have time to revise either. I really wanted to do medicine but I just realised I’m literally going to fail these mocks because I didn’t revise so my predicted grades are going to be awful, I just did my biology mock and it went horrendously I’m very sure I’m going to fail. Same with chem, hopefully I can finesse maths🤞 But I’d be lucky if I don’t get a U in bio or chem our school makes the papers extremely hard too. Do you think I can still do medicine if I really focus on getting good grades next year? Will my predicted i got in year 12 still matter?
Reply 1
Most schools use Y12 mocks to generate your UCAS predicted grades so if you got 3 E's for example your predicted grades are unlikely to be higher than CCC. Even for foundation year medicine you need AAB or ABB iirc (not a med student). Talk to your teachers and explain your situation. Maybe they'll be willing to raise your predicted grades if you attend extra support after school.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
Most schools use Y12 mocks to generate your UCAS predicted grades so if you got 3 E's for example your predicted grades are unlikely to be higher than CCC. Even for foundation year medicine you need AAB or ABB iirc (not a med student). Talk to your teachers and explain your situation. Maybe they'll be willing to raise your predicted grades if you attend extra support after school.

What about if I wanted to take a gap year and just not apply this year and let’s say I get rlly good grades in my actual a level? Can I still get into a good uni a do medicine 😭I’ve lost all motivation atp, my teachers rlly dislike me too I don’t think they’ll want to help me out here
Original post by Akaninto
so I’m usually a A/A* student so I wasn’t too worried with mocks coming up in yr 12 and I didn’t do much revision especially because my mental health was absolutely horrendous and I just didn’t have time to revise either. I really wanted to do medicine but I just realised I’m literally going to fail these mocks because I didn’t revise so my predicted grades are going to be awful, I just did my biology mock and it went horrendously I’m very sure I’m going to fail. Same with chem, hopefully I can finesse maths🤞 But I’d be lucky if I don’t get a U in bio or chem our school makes the papers extremely hard too. Do you think I can still do medicine if I really focus on getting good grades next year? Will my predicted i got in year 12 still matter?

I’m in year 12, so I don’t have any expert advice, but I don’t think you should be too worried as of now. Yes, your predicted grades are probably going to be based on these results, but if you fail the exams, then they will likely make you retake them (this is what happens at my school as if you can’t pass you can’t go into year 13). If you have to retake them, this will be a good opportunity for you to revise and up the grades. Because you normally get high grades, I’m sure you are more than capable of getting into medicine, and your teachers may even see these mock results as a fluke if you’ve been consistently doing well so far. A levels are a whole year away, which is plenty of time for you to get great grades. The only obstacle is your predicted, as you need to get the minimum required predicted grades to even apply. Discuss how predicted grades are determined at your school (some schools are lenient with them). But please prioritise your mental health in all of this. If your school knows about this, they may be more understanding. Good luck with everything!
Reply 4

Heya!
It's understandable that you're feeling concerned about your mock exam performance and its impact on your predicted grades :frown:While the mock results are important indicators, they are not the sole determining factor for your future prospects. Talk to your teachers and explain your situation, they should be able to help you out! If it helps, check out this medical school comparison tool and look at the entry requirements and what they need. Focus on improving your grades in your upcoming exams and demonstrating your commitment to medicine through extracurricular activities and personal statements, you can still have a chance at pursuing medicine.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study mind
Reply 5
Original post by bamsa
I’m in year 12, so I don’t have any expert advice, but I don’t think you should be too worried as of now. Yes, your predicted grades are probably going to be based on these results, but if you fail the exams, then they will likely make you retake them (this is what happens at my school as if you can’t pass you can’t go into year 13). If you have to retake them, this will be a good opportunity for you to revise and up the grades. Because you normally get high grades, I’m sure you are more than capable of getting into medicine, and your teachers may even see these mock results as a fluke if you’ve been consistently doing well so far. A levels are a whole year away, which is plenty of time for you to get great grades. The only obstacle is your predicted, as you need to get the minimum required predicted grades to even apply. Discuss how predicted grades are determined at your school (some schools are lenient with them). But please prioritise your mental health in all of this. If your school knows about this, they may be more understanding. Good luck with everything!

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it :smile: but the thing is our school is sooo strict and the teachers are never lenient. I’m pretty sure they made our papers hard on purpose tbh,,,, for example we were asked to evaluate cytochrome c in phylogenic classification? What even is that?? a lot of people struggled with the paper too,,,, so I don’t think they’ll do anything about it. But say I get really good A level grades like idk A*s would I still be able to get into a good uni and do medicine? By taking a gap year I mean,,, or in clearing?Please tell me the mock grade doesn’t count then, I’m losing motivation:frown:
Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate it :smile: but the thing is our school is sooo strict and the teachers are never lenient. I’m pretty sure they made our papers hard on purpose tbh,,,, for example we were asked to evaluate cytochrome c in phylogenic classification? What even is that?? a lot of people struggled with the paper too,,,, so I don’t think they’ll do anything about it. But say I get really good A level grades like idk A*s would I still be able to get into a good uni and do medicine? By taking a gap year I mean,,, or in clearing?Please tell me the mock grade doesn’t count then, I’m losing motivation:frown:

It is really down to your school and your teachers! If the whole year fails, it will be more telling of the exam paper/teaching than the students. I’m a little confused about the gap year /clearing situation. What uni course will you apply for this year? First, you need to see if you can be predicted AAA minimum. If that’s the case, then you’re good to go and apply for medicine and you just focus on BMAT and UCAT. If you do not get predicted highly enough and they refuse to be lenient, it would still be worth applying to a different course that you might like (eg biochem, pharm etc) as with med anyways one of your choices will be unrelated. When it comes to your a levels, if you end up getting what is required for med, and you are still set on wanting to do it, take a gap year and reapply- your past predicted grades will be irrelevant in this case as you will have actually achieved your grades. I doubt you can go into clearing for med, but I think they are ok with gap years (if you make use of it! not 100% sure though), they just might have an issue if you retake a year or exams. If you really want this, and haven’t done well in your mocks, go to your teachers and tell them you will take another exam because you know you can do better! Please know that your predicted grades are not set in stone right now just based on these mocks, if you have a chance to retake and try again I would definitely go for it. I’m sure everything will work out, please take care of yourself first!
Reply 7
What about if I wanted to take a gap year and just not apply this year and let’s say I get rlly good grades in my actual a level? Can I still get into a good uni a do medicine 😭I’ve lost all motivation atp, my teachers rlly dislike me too I don’t think they’ll want to help me out here

You can apply for deferred entry. No idea if med schools are okay with that (ik certain stem subjects refuse deferred entry/gap years).
Have you done your work experience? It's usually required for med school (maybe they're more lax post COVID)
You can apply next year but idk if your college will let you, ours wanted us to have a plan for the year after we finished. Also a gap year won't help you if your grades are bad unless you resit and even then med schools are super strict on resits. Also you need to plan what you're gonna do for a whole year it would be really unproductive and even hinder your future growth if you just ended up doing nothing.

Taking a gap year and applying with achieved grades would be the best plan as it removes all the uncertainty around your grades (medicine won't be in clearing). This would give you more time to prepare for UCAT and to gain some healthcare experience to really strengthen your application.

I don't want to be a bummer, but I think someone needs to tell you this. If you can't survive year 12, there is absolutely no chance you will survive year 13. I am currently sitting my final A-level exams right now, so take it from a year 13. I do biology and chemistry as well. A2 content is completely reliant on AS, and if you do not have a strong foundation you won't understand anything next year. Take energetics for example. I assume you've met Hess' law? Well get ready for Born-Haber cycles.. If you want to do well, especially medicine, there is no room for error, poor mental health and "not enough time". If you need to, redo year 12 but work on your mental health this summer. You have to be strong, and your mental health can be improved with enough discipline and hard work. I know this all sounds harsh and mean, but I really hope you listen with an open mind. If you want any advice, I am happy to give you some. I wish you all the best...
Reply 10
Original post by Callum_Mullanη
I don't want to be a bummer, but I think someone needs to tell you this. If you can't survive year 12, there is absolutely no chance you will survive year 13. I am currently sitting my final A-level exams right now, so take it from a year 13. I do biology and chemistry as well. A2 content is completely reliant on AS, and if you do not have a strong foundation you won't understand anything next year. Take energetics for example. I assume you've met Hess' law? Well get ready for Born-Haber cycles.. If you want to do well, especially medicine, there is no room for error, poor mental health and "not enough time". If you need to, redo year 12 but work on your mental health this summer. You have to be strong, and your mental health can be improved with enough discipline and hard work. I know this all sounds harsh and mean, but I really hope you listen with an open mind. If you want any advice, I am happy to give you some. I wish you all the best...

Lmaooo Im gonna be fine I know I have the capability, also, we actually did born haber cycles in school already, in fact it came up in our mocks and everyone got mad at the teachers for giving us yr 2 stuff. I know I can still do it :smile: I’ll just put more effort in

Quick Reply

Latest