The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Exam Period

Prospective fresher....I want to attend a convention that lasts for a week from May 8th '09...I'm aware this is term three, ergo exam season.

Am wondering, however, what the seminars/lecture situation is like? Do I need to make some sort of excuse in order to leave for that one week (bearing in mind that I fully intend to catch up/take the work with me), or can I just go, or is it pretty impossible?

I thought maybe there would be revision lectures or whatever...But are they compulsory?

(English Lit, single honours)

Ta :smile:
MJai
Prospective fresher....I want to attend a convention that lasts for a week from May 8th '09...I'm aware this is term three, ergo exam season.

Am wondering, however, what the seminars/lecture situation is like? Do I need to make some sort of excuse in order to leave for that one week (bearing in mind that I fully intend to catch up/take the work with me), or can I just go, or is it pretty impossible?

I thought maybe there would be revision lectures or whatever...But are they compulsory?

(English Lit, single honours)

Ta :smile:

Lectures are in writing, compulsory, but unless you are going somewhere with a strict reputation like Cambridge, then you'll find that University is a much more relaxed environment than School. You can skip lectures pretty easily, just say that you've been ill because you don't need to be able to prove this. The only time you need to do it is if you need a coursework extension. However if you're exams fall during the date of the convention then, I'm afraid you're out of luck. Universities will not accept this excuse as a reason to defer your exams. Only go to the convention if you do not have exams during this time.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
your exams won't have started although you might have an early start, what course?
Reply 3
Lectures are not compulsory, neither in writing nor in practice.

You won't have any exams between May 8th - 15th; for first years they are generally quite early, but not starting before around the 25th at earliest.

As far as contact hours go, by this point in English Lit (and most arts subjects) lectures and seminars will be revision sessions, seminars for which don't tend to be registered. You may even not have any at all. A lot of students go home during this period as they find it easier to revise there, so you going to a week-long convention wouldn't be any different to that.
Reply 4
Amazing :smile: thanks for your help. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get some work done at a week long convention. Yikes.
Reply 5
Wow, anybody can give some advice on the EPAIS exams first year? How does the third term look like at all? All preparations? Can I fly home if I'm from the EU?
Reply 6
Can I fly home if I'm from the EU?

You can fly home anytime that you want. I don't think it's worth worrying about until Spring.
I don't know strictly about EPAIS, but generally the third term has a couple of initial weeks of lectures/seminars, possibly with exams in the first week for some courses. These end, there are a few weeks for revision, a few weeks of exams then a week or so free before the end of term.

Latest