The Student Room Group

Sudden Lower abdomen pain on both sides

Hi, Im a girl, 16 and I'm not having my periods since January this is not the first time it's happened in 3 years but usually, even if i didn't get them for like 4 months the next month ill have them...
Im really worried i have exams coming up on the 15th of May and I'm having a sudden acute pain in my lower abdomen on both sides that come and goes it's basically on both sides of my vagina and I'm really freaking out cuz i searched and i read that it might be related to ovaries and that it might be a cyst, cancer or related to appendicitis... since my periods started to miss my gp booked me an appointment with the gynecologist to check if everything was ok.. i could not attend and after that, i never went even if my periods used to come late like really late i kept ignoring thinking that they'll come anyways. Now i have my exams coming up GCSE... and i don't know whether to book an appointment to go and get checked or wait for the exams to end. I'm soo worried i have this thought in my mind that i have ovary cancer and that i will never be able to conceive in my life
HELP
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by enthjmk5e664
Hi, Im a girl, 16 and I'm not having my periods since January this is not the first time it's happened in 3 years but usually, even if i didn't get them for like 4 months the next month ill have them...
Im really worried i have exams coming up on the 15th of May and I'm having a sudden acute pain in my lower abdomen on both sides that come and goes it's basically on both sides of my vagina and I'm really freaking out cuz i searched and i read that it might be related to ovaries and that it might be a cyst, cancer or related to appendicitis... since my periods started to miss my gp booked me an appointment with the gynecologist to check if everything was ok.. i could not attend and after that, i never went even if my periods used to come late like really late i kept ignoring thinking that they'll come anyways. Now i have my exams coming up GCSE... and i don't know whether to book an appointment to go and get checked or wait for the exams to end. I'm soo worried i have this thought in my mind that i have ovary cancer and that i will never be able to conceive in my life
HELP

Book an appointment with a GP there's quite a bit of time until the end of exams, and if you are experiencing pain or worrying then I doubt you'll be able to focus in exams properly. Best to get things seen to as soon as possible, and hopefully everything turns out ok :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
If you have sudden acute abdominal pain that's typically a sign you should go to A&E, I think.

Once that is done, assuming you aren't referred directly from A&E, you should follow up with your GP about the missed periods as it's not a normal thing unless you're taking certain kinds of birth control I gather, so should be looked into. And you need to make it a priority to follow up and not miss the appointments.
It's normal for your period to take years to become regular. There are also reasons for your period to be irregular and it not be cancer. As an example, PCOS is a common explanation for irregular and painful periods.

Don't put it off. Appointments don't take too much time out of your schedule, so just go and get a verdict. It is most likely something simple and easily regulated.

Quick Reply

Latest