The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Fluffy
One of the dead was apparently in the car - according to the BBC, so that's looking less likely.

These crossings should have pressure sensors and cameras...

Just because he died doesn't mean he didn't put the car there on purpose. There has been talk of it possibly being suicide which would be terrible if it was true. :frown:
Bezza
Just because he died doesn't mean he didn't put the car there on purpose. There has been talk of it possibly being suicide which would be terrible if it was true. :frown:

I was once on a train that got stuck for nearly 3 hours because somebody had commited suicide on the track. It was horrible.
Reply 62
i feel bad for the police man on the scene, can you imagine watcing something like that happen, and not be able to do anything about it :frown:
Reply 64
Bezza

I hope for the family of the person in the cars sake that that isn't true - it's hard enough when a loved one takes their own life (believe me), without having the knowledge that they killed 5 others at the same time :frown:
Reply 65
Fluffy
I hope for the family of the person in the cars sake that that isn't true - it's hard enough when a loved one takes their own life (believe me), without having the knowledge that they killed 5 others at the same time :frown:

i'm thinking that explanation is starting to become more likely, as they've confirmed someone was in the car. as far as the person would know, the collision wouldn't be enough to derail the train but would be enough to kill them.
Reply 66
"The driver was intent on suicide" (Chan 4 news)
So sad.
Reply 67
Luize
"The driver was intent on suicide" (Chan 4 news)
So sad.

really? :eek: have you got a link?
Reply 68
No, It was on the news on TV.
The report is on now, 4 people of the 11 injured are in a serious condition and one is life threatening. (I think thats right...typing as they speak..)
Reply 69
timeofyourlife
As far as the person would know, the collision wouldn't be enough to derail the train but would be enough to kill them.

But still how harsh a way is that to try and kill yourself. If the train hadnt derailed and everyone on board had been ok, imagine how the train driver would feel.
frost105
But still how harsh a way is that to try and kill yourself. If the train hadnt derailed and everyone on board had been ok, imagine how the train driver would feel.

yeh some guy jumped on to the track infront of the trainat a local station infront of the chester to liverpool train the other week..my friend got of the train and he was on the track shouting stuff..must have been awful for the driver
Reply 71
sparklyteacosie
yeh some guy jumped on to the track infront of the trainat a local station infront of the chester to liverpool train the other week..my friend got of the train and he was on the track shouting stuff..must have been awful for the driver

No way what station? Rock ferry maybe?!
Reply 72
7 people have now died as a result of the crash.
Reply 73
Fluffy
These crossings should have pressure sensors and cameras...

The point of this type of crossing is that it is completely automatic, and independant of the signalbox. Crossings can be controlled by CCTV and cameras, but that is very expensive, and if the train has passed the last signal it still won't stop a suicidal driver.
Reply 74
Death toll now 7.

In this day in age, when every Tom, Dick and GHarry is under CCTV coverage, there is no excuse not to have camera coverage all unmanned crossings...
Reply 75
mobb_theprequel
Actually, that's not entirely true. Birmingham is the hub of the national railway network - and has a greater density of track than anywhere else in the country.

yeah maybe, but who _actually_ wants to go there :tongue:

further to that! on my way back up to uni, there was another person wanting to commit suicide holding everyone up.
Reply 76
Fluffy
Death toll now 7.

In this day in age, when every Tom, Dick and GHarry is under CCTV coverage, there is no excuse not to have camera coverage all unmanned crossings...

What good would it do? The barriers go down, the signal goes green, the train passes the signal, someone drives onto the crossing, there is no way of telling the driver to stop, the train hits the car.

And there is an excuse: it is too expensive. That's why we have automatic crossings, instead of all of them being controlled, and it wouldn't prevent yesterday's accident.
frost105
No way what station? Rock ferry maybe?!

Bebington apparently
kikzen

further to that! on my way back up to uni, there was another person wanting to commit suicide holding everyone up.

Why didn't they just opt for the top storey of a secluded NCP carpark? Even in death, some people are just complete timewasters.
Reply 79
Dr_Death
What good would it do? The barriers go down, the signal goes green, the train passes the signal, someone drives onto the crossing, there is no way of telling the driver to stop, the train hits the car.

And there is an excuse: it is too expensive. That's why we have automatic crossings, instead of all of them being controlled, and it wouldn't prevent yesterday's accident.

It would make the job of the accident investigation team a lot easier - if it were not for a random off duty police man, it could have taken them months to get to what they know now.

CCTV is not expensive! Certainly not 7 peoples lives.

Latest

Trending

Trending