The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford while studying first year at another university?

I applied to study mathematics through UCAS last year, and am curently awaiting to receive my results in 15th August. My firm choice right now is Warwick, but I am thinking of applying to Oxford this october, while attending Warwick university. I didn't apply to Oxford last year, but I think I'll get decent grades, and would've probably had a shot if I did apply last year. Is this a good idea? I am really against taking a gap year because I have nothing productive to do in the gap year, and I would rather not lose a year if I get rejected from Oxford. This way, I feel that if I get rejected, I can still continue with my studies in Warwick. Is this discouraged by either university? Would I have to secure my own funding for the first year or the entirety of my degree at Oxford, or could I still apply for student loan? Thanks in advance
Hi! So I did something similar back in '11 so might be able to help out.

I was rejected from Oxford and decided to apply to Cambridge in my first year at UCL. First I contacted all the colleges I was interested in if this was ok, only some agreed. I was then asked to provide a reference from my current uni (UCL) stating they were aware I wanted to move and they were ok with it.

In the end I fell in love with UCL and decided to cancel my Cambridge application pre-interview. In regards to funding, you are paid foe 3 years + 1 extra if needs be by SFE so should be ok.
Original post by Spookyayu
I applied to study mathematics through UCAS last year, and am curently awaiting to receive my results in 15th August. My firm choice right now is Warwick, but I am thinking of applying to Oxford this october, while attending Warwick university. I didn't apply to Oxford last year, but I think I'll get decent grades, and would've probably had a shot if I did apply last year. Is this a good idea? I am really against taking a gap year because I have nothing productive to do in the gap year, and I would rather not lose a year if I get rejected from Oxford. This way, I feel that if I get rejected, I can still continue with my studies in Warwick. Is this discouraged by either university? Would I have to secure my own funding for the first year or the entirety of my degree at Oxford, or could I still apply for student loan? Thanks in advance

If it was me, I wouldn't reapply. Grades are just the starting point. You would need to do a lot of extra work, sit the admissions tests, and there is absolutely no guarantee you would still get into Oxford. Plus you would be giving up your Warwick place, and I hear Warwick is excellent for maths.
Original post by Noodlzzz
In regards to funding, you are paid foe 3 years + 1 extra if needs be by SFE so should be ok.

The two small snags there are (a) that you do have to pay back an extra £12,000 or so plus interest, and (b) there is no room for repeat years. Only the OP can judge if the game is worth the candle.
Original post by Spookyayu

I had a friend during the early years of my degree who had done this in my year - he had initially been at UCL and when he got an offer from Oxford he dropped out and took the rest of the year off.
Original post by XavierMyshkin
I had a friend during the early years of my degree who had done this in my year - he had initially been at UCL and when he got an offer from Oxford he dropped out and took the rest of the year off.

Over to you, OP
Reply 8
Two things to bear in mind:

Admissions tutors will be aware, when you re-apply to Oxford, that you've already completed your A Levels and are now studying university-level mathematics, so they will expect you to perform at a higher level than the majority of applicants (so, amongst other things, they'd probably expect you to score more highly on the MAT than the majority of applicants).

If you are made an offer, there's a reasonable chance it will require you to achieve a certain level of attainment during your first year at Warwick. Tutors generally don't like students to drop out of their studies at other universities mid-way through the year and in Maths, in particular, there's a concern that students get 'rusty' if they take a prolonged break from their studies, which is why they aren't generally keen on gap-years.

Hola Good bloke,

Thanks for posting this link which sets out very clearly what the position is and also outlines the main pros and cons.

Oxford Undergraduate Admissions have put online a lot of information. Just in case you are not aware of it, the Admissions Office also provide an option to submit queries which are answered promptly: https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/ask

We look at TSR when we can and some of the other colleges run 'as me anything' threads at particular times of year. Prospective applicants can, however, contact Oxford directly at any time and receive accurate and informed advice to whatever query they may have. By all means post the response on TSR if you would like to share it with others.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending