The Student Room Group

Can I reapply UCAS application whilst in my first year at uni?

How would this affect student finance too? Would I be able to take out loans normally?
A UCAS application doesn’t affect your current place at university or funding.

Those only change if you formally notify your university that you will be leaving and if you formally change your university on your SFE account.
Original post by PQ

Those only change if you formally notify your university that you will be leaving and if you formally change your university on your SFE account.

so would my student finance be completely fine going back to university for 3 years? it won't be impacted? As I'd have to apply to start from first year again, rather than transfer
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PQ

Hello there,
Yes, you can reapply through UCAS while in your first year at university. Make sure to check the specific deadlines and guidelines for reapplications on the UCAS website. Also Check with your university's financial aid office or student finance agency to ensure that you can still access loans and financial support as needed.

I hope this will be helpful to you.
Original post by edfoeasol
so would my student finance be completely fine going back to university for 3 years? it won't be impacted? As I'd have to apply to start from first year again, rather than transfer

Your total funding entitlement for full time study is:

length of course you are applying for funding for + 1 year (the "gift year") - number of years of prior study in HE.

So having done one year at another uni you will have used up the "gift year" and will still be able to be fully funded for a new course.

However, if you need to repeat a year, change course again, etc, then at that point you would need to self-fund tuition fees for one or more years. So make sure you are very confident in your current course choice.

Note that Oxford and Cambridge do not normally consider applications from students at other universities - Oxford may do so with "strong support" from your current uni as an academic referee, but that isn't going to be possible while in first year elsewhere.

Since first year of your current course has just started frankly I would recommend checking with your current uni if you are within the period where you can withdraw without fee liability, and if so do that (and notify SFE immediately) and take a gap year and reapply. Much better idea than doing a whole year somewhere you don't plan to continue anyway, and you preserve your full funding entitlement that way.

If you haven't yet applied to university don't even consider doing a year at a uni you don't intend to finish your degree at. You should never start a course you don't intend to finish. Planning to do that is very different from realising midyear that you are in the wrong course.

Everyone gets 1 gift year of funding to repeat a year or restart. Just make sure you’re 100% sure about any new university before withdrawing from your current one.
Original post by PQ
Everyone gets 1 gift year of funding to repeat a year or restart. Just make sure you’re 100% sure about any new university before withdrawing from your current one.

Thanks for your help - one more thing.. is my current university going to be aware of my new UCAS application?
Thanks for your help - one more thing.. is my current university going to be aware of my new UCAS application?

You’ll need to ask them for a reference so yes.
Reply 8
I know this is a late response but I am currently reapplying through UCAS during my first year at university. My parents were strongly against me taking a gap year so much so they wouldn't even entertain a conversation on it so I knew after not receiving the grades that I wished on results days that I'd have to go through clearing to enter a low tier university for my course. I am currently juggling resitting two alevels during my first year at this university - I've already sent off my UCAS application, using my sixth form for my references, and I'm currently waiting for responses. I decided that I would do the bare minimum to ensure I at least pass first year at the university I am currently at in case all falls through. If you want to talk more you can pm me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending