The Student Room Group

Medicine advice

Just got my AS level results today, I got 3 C’s in Maths, Biology and English Literature and a D in Chemistry. I want to do medicine, so I’m dropping English Lit for A2 so for A2 I will be studying Maths, Chemistry and Biology. My GCSEs were all 9’s, 8’s and 7’s (A*s and A’s) and my UCAT exam is next week. Do you think I can raise my grades to what is needed for Medicine next year? Or do I need to resit certain subjects? Or do I just work really really hard next year on my A2 and apply to unis that put more focus on GCSEs or UCAT or personal statement. I really have no clue what to do as I wasn’t expecting these grades at all. I dont want to give up on medicine- I worked really hard for my GCSEs just to get the right grades for medicine. What do I do?
Original post by leiaprst
Just got my AS level results today, I got 3 C’s in Maths, Biology and English Literature and a D in Chemistry. I want to do medicine, so I’m dropping English Lit for A2 so for A2 I will be studying Maths, Chemistry and Biology. My GCSEs were all 9’s, 8’s and 7’s (A*s and A’s) and my UCAT exam is next week. Do you think I can raise my grades to what is needed for Medicine next year? Or do I need to resit certain subjects? Or do I just work really really hard next year on my A2 and apply to unis that put more focus on GCSEs or UCAT or personal statement. I really have no clue what to do as I wasn’t expecting these grades at all. I dont want to give up on medicine- I worked really hard for my GCSEs just to get the right grades for medicine. What do I do?

The main thing is that you will need to be predicted 3A's by your tutor/teachers, if this is possible then I'd say with a lot of hard work it is possible to achieve 3A's next year. Applying strategically to uni's would be good as well especially if you do well in the UCAT and get a score of around 670+. How are you doing with your UCAT revision? Don't give up on medicine, it is clear you are passionate about it and there is always a way of getting in even if it's not first time. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by trZ15
The main thing is that you will need to be predicted 3A's by your tutor/teachers, if this is possible then I'd say with a lot of hard work it is possible to achieve 3A's next year. Applying strategically to uni's would be good as well especially if you do well in the UCAT and get a score of around 670+. How are you doing with your UCAT revision? Don't give up on medicine, it is clear you are passionate about it and there is always a way of getting in even if it's not first time. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much!! And I’m planning on moving sixth forms so im not sure whats going to happen with the whole predicted grades thing, but I’m sure I can try to get them to predict me 3 A’s. I’m doing really good with UCAT revision- It’s hard but I’ve been revising a good few months now. I get an average of 660- I keep
scoring low in quantitative reasoning witch lowers my average I guess. Do you have any advice on quantitative reasoning? Thank you so much for your advice, really needed to hear some realistic words of comfort
Thank you so much!! And I’m planning on moving sixth forms so im not sure whats going to happen with the whole predicted grades thing, but I’m sure I can try to get them to predict me 3 A’s. I’m doing really good with UCAT revision- It’s hard but I’ve been revising a good few months now. I get an average of 660- I keep
scoring low in quantitative reasoning witch lowers my average I guess. Do you have any advice on quantitative reasoning? Thank you so much for your advice, really needed to hear some realistic words of comfort

No worries! That score is really good as well, keep working at it and you'll hopefully surprise yourself and get higher in the real thing. With quantitative reasoning I'd say resources such as Medify and the official Mocks aren't 100% representative of the real exam, the real exam is normally a bit easier with calculations requiring a fewer number of steps. My advice would be to get used to the calculator by using a proper keyboard as well as learning how to use the function buttons M+ and M- which you can use to store numbers for later use(particularly useful for multi-step calculations). Some generic but useful advice is to read the question especially when you are asked to convert between units. Good luck !!
I’m in the same boat! My AS Levels haven’t gone as well as I would have liked, but I’m still planning on completing my UCAT and writing my personal statement, it’s just the predictions I need!
I have been in a similar situation and i now will be a 2nd year medic at leicester. I got bs and cs at AS and a D in Maths. Got AAA in yr13.
Just need to have the drive and you can definitely do it.
I applied on a gap year so i didnt need no teachers prediction. And no wasting time trying to persuade a teacher who may put you down. (They did in my case)

@leiaprst
@MeganDA
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you think I can raise my grades to what is needed for Medicine next year?

That is statistically very unlikely, and will need to be the primary focus of your efforts. Find out what went wrong, and change it, and go from there. The new school may be the change needed, although make sure you settle in quick!

You may have more success applying after a gap year with grades in hand, in the event you do manage to turn things around.

Have a plan for what you will do if you are not successful. That's only sensible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending