The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Primary PGCE

Hey,

I am looking to apply to the Primary PGCE at the university of sunderland starting 2020.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to boost my application between now and then?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to prepare for an interview?

If the course starts January 2020, does anyone know when it will end?

Despite not graduating by September 2020, would it be possible to apply for NQT jobs starting September 2020?

How are people funding their lives on non salaried PGCEs? All I am aware of is student finance as there are no bursaries for just primary are there?

Is it easy to get a job at the end of a university taught PGCE?

Sorry for all of the questions I hope someone can help answer some of them :smile:
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi!

I have been invited to interview for Primary PGCE. I'm hoping to do a skype interview as I am from Ireland. If anyone has any experience doing this, or have information about doing a skype interview could you please contact me. Thanks!

I see you posted this 3 months ago. Did you apply?

I am 24 so I am classed as a mature student. I'm hoping to get some sort of grant. I haven't looked into anything yet. After all, I might not succeed at interview.

I think there is a demand for primary school teachers.

Fingers crossed we get it and you never know, we could be in the course together!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by dgalla
Hi!

I have been invited to interview for Primary PGCE. I'm hoping to do a skype interview as I am from Ireland. If anyone has any experience doing this, or have information about doing a skype interview could you please contact me. Thanks!

I see you posted this 3 months ago. Did you apply?

I am 24 so I am classed as a mature student. I'm hoping to get some sort of grant. I haven't looked into anything yet. After all, I might not succeed at interview.

I think there is a demand for primary school teachers.

Fingers crossed we get it and you never know, we could be in the course together!! :smile:

Hey,

Thanks so much for replying! No I haven’t applied but I’m going to apply for September now!

I’m 26 so will also be a mature student... I wasn’t aware we would be eligible for any grants for being a mature student??

I’m very behind on the applying side!
Reply 4
Oh fantastic! Nice to talk to someone who is on the same journey.

In Ireland we get ‘Back to Education’ grants. I’m hoping there’s something similar in the UK. My next mission is to research all about grants. I will keep you posted with any information I find!

You should try to get your application finished. My interview is in the next two weeks - I couldn’t believe how quickly they invited me for interview. It’s something to look forward to. Exciting times ahead :smile:
Original post by dgalla
Oh fantastic! Nice to talk to someone who is on the same journey.

In Ireland we get ‘Back to Education’ grants. I’m hoping there’s something similar in the UK. My next mission is to research all about grants. I will keep you posted with any information I find!

You should try to get your application finished. My interview is in the next two weeks - I couldn’t believe how quickly they invited me for interview. It’s something to look forward to. Exciting times ahead :smile:

I'm in the same boat as you (almost)!
I was wondering how you organised a skype interview? I am overseas too and have organised a flight to one of my interviews but can't stretch that far financially to attend the second. Did you contact admissions directly? I haven't confirmed the second interview yet...
I'm also on the hunt for 'Back to Education' equivalent grants but not having much luck apart from individual subject focused scholarships. I'll post if I find out anything.
Reply 6
Original post by dasher103
I'm in the same boat as you (almost)!
I was wondering how you organised a skype interview? I am overseas too and have organised a flight to one of my interviews but can't stretch that far financially to attend the second. Did you contact admissions directly? I haven't confirmed the second interview yet...
I'm also on the hunt for 'Back to Education' equivalent grants but not having much luck apart from individual subject focused scholarships. I'll post if I find out anything.

Oh, I didn’t realise there was two interviews.
Yes, I just rang admissions and they put me through to a lady, Leanne, who was very helpful.
Original post by dgalla
Oh, I didn’t realise there was two interviews.
Yes, I just rang admissions and they put me through to a lady, Leanne, who was very helpful.

Ah cool, I'll try that so. Many thanks
No,it's 2 interviews at two different Universities. I thought I'd only get one so I made arrangements to go there, now I have another a few days beforehand but can't change my flight to accommodate this...so hoping skype will be accepted :smile:
Hi @Ellewillsx

Thank you for your questions:

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to boost my application between now and then?

Although we look at your potential teach, experience with Primary aged children will surely enhance your application. Have you any experience in kids clubs, youth clubs, community groups it doesn’t need to be extensive!
We also want to know more about your passions around teaching, why do you want to teach? what experiences have you had while a student has this affected you in any way? Did you look up to a teacher in Primary school? Was there anything that could have made Primary School better for you?
Look at different types of pedagogy, is there any that sparks your interest? Look on twitter it’s full of information around teaching, follow NQT’s, follow subject leaders, see what life as a teacher is like. It’s not all positive but it shows you many opinions and areas of teaching which you may not have thought about before. There are a lot of political policies around teaching and the quality of work/life balance as a teacher do you agree? Disagree?
Academically, knowing that you are a great communicator, a fantastic organiser as all of these are a must. Can you think on your feet? Can you deal with stressful situations? We want to hear about it!

Interviews at Sunderland are transparent. You will be sent a detailed email as to what to expect on the day, which we hope will make you as prepared as you can be for interview day. There are no surprises we want to see the best of you, we want to know why you want to be a teacher, your passions and enthusiasm around teaching.
Dress as you would as a teacher. We are a lovely friendly bunch here at Sunderland all the academics have been teachers themselves. Remember as a teacher you need to be approachable, polite and professional. Get that balance right.

The course will end next January so January 2021.

Despite not graduating by September 2020, would it be possible to apply for NQT jobs starting September 2020?
When you finish your training, we will tell DfE about your results. This applies to all Institutions with teacher training routes. If you’re successful, the DfE award you with QTS and update your record on the database of qualified teachers. Your QTS certificate will be available online from the teacher self-service website, therefore you can apply for jobs when your number is on this database. Each institution has to submit qualifications to DfE, we usually do this once degree classifications have been released.

Although we can’t say 100% the employment after graduating stats are positive!
94% of those who graduated went into employment after their PGCE.

I'm waiting to hear back on Skype interview advice but I'll update this thread as soon as I hear back :smile:

Hope this helps!

Original post by Ellewillsx
Hey,

I am looking to apply to the Primary PGCE at the university of sunderland starting 2020.

How are people funding their lives on non salaried PGCEs? All I am aware of is student finance as there are no bursaries for just primary are there?

Sorry for all of the questions I hope someone can help answer some of them :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi there!! Just found this post, I have been invited to interview for the part time PGCE in primary education with QTS at University of Sunderland . I would love to know if anyone else is planning on starting this course in September and also any interview tips, I'm a little worried about the presentation, what objects did people take in to show? Thanks and good luck to everyone!!
Reply 10
Original post by JustJessica13
Hi there!! Just found this post, I have been invited to interview for the part time PGCE in primary education with QTS at University of Sunderland . I would love to know if anyone else is planning on starting this course in September and also any interview tips, I'm a little worried about the presentation, what objects did people take in to show? Thanks and good luck to everyone!!

Hi Jessica!
Don’t worry about the interview, it’s very relaxed and they are so nice 🤗 the presentation is fine, don’t stress over it. I was so nervous before my interview but, looking back, there was absolutely no need. They really only want to see if you seem passionate, and the presentation is just to give them an idea of how you would use an artefact to teach a lesson/lessons in all subjects. Show your awareness of what age group you would use it with, what subjects you could use it in, how it would aid their development etc. Colours, numbers, rhyming, new vocabulary, senses... I used the book ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ by Eric Carle. Fantastic book and it can be used in so many subjects!! Let me know if you’d like help with your artefact ☺️
Original post by dgalla
Hi Jessica!
Don’t worry about the interview, it’s very relaxed and they are so nice 🤗 the presentation is fine, don’t stress over it. I was so nervous before my interview but, looking back, there was absolutely no need. They really only want to see if you seem passionate, and the presentation is just to give them an idea of how you would use an artefact to teach a lesson/lessons in all subjects. Show your awareness of what age group you would use it with, what subjects you could use it in, how it would aid their development etc. Colours, numbers, rhyming, new vocabulary, senses... I used the book ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ by Eric Carle. Fantastic book and it can be used in so many subjects!! Let me know if you’d like help with your artefact ☺️

Thanks for the reply! And that's so funny that you've said that story! I work in an SEN school and recently made a hungry Caterpillar head which the children feed fruit to as I tell the story so I was thinking to take that with me. Are you at Sunderland now then? How are you finding it?
Thanks again! Jessica x
Reply 12
Original post by JustJessica13
Thanks for the reply! And that's so funny that you've said that story! I work in an SEN school and recently made a hungry Caterpillar head which the children feed fruit to as I tell the story so I was thinking to take that with me. Are you at Sunderland now then? How are you finding it?
Thanks again! Jessica x

Oh really? 😁 What are the chances! Definitely use that, it’s a fantastic book.
No, I’ve actually just been offered 3 places in the UK. Liverpool Hope University, St. Mary’s in Twickenham and University of Sunderland. I have to make a decision by Tuesday 😬 If anyone has advice it’d be greatly appreciated 👌🏼
Original post by dgalla
Oh really? 😁 What are the chances! Definitely use that, it’s a fantastic book.
No, I’ve actually just been offered 3 places in the UK. Liverpool Hope University, St. Mary’s in Twickenham and University of Sunderland. I have to make a decision by Tuesday 😬 If anyone has advice it’d be greatly appreciated 👌🏼

Congratulations on your offers and thank you for your consideration.

Your university experience is defined by a number of things- the location, what support is available and the graduate prospects to name just a few. It's important to consider everything when making your choice as you'll be spending an important part of your life there.
Our advice would be to visit as many of your options as you can, figure out where you get the best feeling from and read as many student case studies as you can to get a true insight into what it is like to study there.
If you're unable to make the open days, many universities provide 360' images or virtual tours. You can find a link to ours here.

Sunderland has the perfect combination of city and seaside living and is a friendly, diverse and affordable place for you to live and study. It's the second most affordable city in the UK, according to a 2018 ‘Graduate salaries in the UK’ survey conducted by Prospects Luminate, meaning living comfortably on a budget is much easier at Sunderland than other universities. Sunderland was also named as the best place to live for the under 30s due to low living costs, high job satisfaction, and general happiness and wellbeing.

We're also proud to have been ranked 16th (out of 131 universities) in the ‘University of the Year’ category of the Whatuni Student Choice Awards (WUSC) 2019, and 9th in the 'Student Support' category. The WUSC are the only national awards voted for by students.

Good luck with your decision making and let me know if you have any further questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending