Ellewillsx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey,

I am looking to apply to the Primary PGCE at the university of sunderland starting 2020.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to boost my application between now and then?

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to prepare for an interview?

If the course starts January 2020, does anyone know when it will end?

Despite not graduating by September 2020, would it be possible to apply for NQT jobs starting September 2020?

How are people funding their lives on non salaried PGCEs? All I am aware of is student finance as there are no bursaries for just primary are there?

Is it easy to get a job at the end of a university taught PGCE?

Sorry for all of the questions I hope someone can help answer some of them
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
dgalla
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi!

I have been invited to interview for Primary PGCE. I'm hoping to do a skype interview as I am from Ireland. If anyone has any experience doing this, or have information about doing a skype interview could you please contact me. Thanks!

I see you posted this 3 months ago. Did you apply?

I am 24 so I am classed as a mature student. I'm hoping to get some sort of grant. I haven't looked into anything yet. After all, I might not succeed at interview.

I think there is a demand for primary school teachers.

Fingers crossed we get it and you never know, we could be in the course together!!
Ellewillsx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dgalla)
Hi!

I have been invited to interview for Primary PGCE. I'm hoping to do a skype interview as I am from Ireland. If anyone has any experience doing this, or have information about doing a skype interview could you please contact me. Thanks!

I see you posted this 3 months ago. Did you apply?

I am 24 so I am classed as a mature student. I'm hoping to get some sort of grant. I haven't looked into anything yet. After all, I might not succeed at interview.

I think there is a demand for primary school teachers.

Fingers crossed we get it and you never know, we could be in the course together!!
Hey,

Thanks so much for replying! No I haven’t applied but I’m going to apply for September now!

I’m 26 so will also be a mature student... I wasn’t aware we would be eligible for any grants for being a mature student??

I’m very behind on the applying side!
dgalla
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh fantastic! Nice to talk to someone who is on the same journey.

In Ireland we get ‘Back to Education’ grants. I’m hoping there’s something similar in the UK. My next mission is to research all about grants. I will keep you posted with any information I find!

You should try to get your application finished. My interview is in the next two weeks - I couldn’t believe how quickly they invited me for interview. It’s something to look forward to. Exciting times ahead
dasher103
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh fantastic! Nice to talk to someone who is on the same journey.

In Ireland we get ‘Back to Education’ grants. I’m hoping there’s something similar in the UK. My next mission is to research all about grants. I will keep you posted with any information I find!

You should try to get your application finished. My interview is in the next two weeks - I couldn’t believe how quickly they invited me for interview. It’s something to look forward to. Exciting times ahead
I'm in the same boat as you (almost)!
I was wondering how you organised a skype interview? I am overseas too and have organised a flight to one of my interviews but can't stretch that far financially to attend the second. Did you contact admissions directly? I haven't confirmed the second interview yet...
I'm also on the hunt for 'Back to Education' equivalent grants but not having much luck apart from individual subject focused scholarships. I'll post if I find out anything.
dgalla
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dasher103)
I'm in the same boat as you (almost)!
I was wondering how you organised a skype interview? I am overseas too and have organised a flight to one of my interviews but can't stretch that far financially to attend the second. Did you contact admissions directly? I haven't confirmed the second interview yet...
I'm also on the hunt for 'Back to Education' equivalent grants but not having much luck apart from individual subject focused scholarships. I'll post if I find out anything.
Oh, I didn’t realise there was two interviews.
Yes, I just rang admissions and they put me through to a lady, Leanne, who was very helpful.
dasher103
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh, I didn’t realise there was two interviews.
Yes, I just rang admissions and they put me through to a lady, Leanne, who was very helpful.
Ah cool, I'll try that so. Many thanks
No,it's 2 interviews at two different Universities. I thought I'd only get one so I made arrangements to go there, now I have another a few days beforehand but can't change my flight to accommodate this...so hoping skype will be accepted
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Ellewillsx

Thank you for your questions:

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me to boost my application between now and then?

Although we look at your potential teach, experience with Primary aged children will surely enhance your application. Have you any experience in kids clubs, youth clubs, community groups – it doesn’t need to be extensive!
We also want to know more about your passions around teaching, why do you want to teach? what experiences have you had while a student – has this affected you in any way? Did you look up to a teacher in Primary school? Was there anything that could have made Primary School better for you?
Look at different types of pedagogy, is there any that sparks your interest? Look on twitter – it’s full of information around teaching, follow NQT’s, follow subject leaders, see what life as a teacher is like. It’s not all positive but it shows you many opinions and areas of teaching which you may not have thought about before. There are a lot of political policies around teaching and the quality of work/life balance as a teacher do you agree? Disagree?
Academically, knowing that you are a great communicator, a fantastic organiser as all of these are a must. Can you think on your feet? Can you deal with stressful situations? We want to hear about it!

Interviews at Sunderland are transparent. You will be sent a detailed email as to what to expect on the day, which we hope will make you as prepared as you can be for interview day. There are no surprises – we want to see the best of you, we want to know why you want to be a teacher, your passions and enthusiasm around teaching.
Dress as you would as a teacher. We are a lovely friendly bunch here at Sunderland – all the academics have been teachers themselves. Remember as a teacher you need to be approachable, polite and professional. Get that balance right.

The course will end next January – so January 2021.

Despite not graduating by September 2020, would it be possible to apply for NQT jobs starting September 2020?
When you finish your training, we will tell DfE about your results. This applies to all Institutions with teacher training routes. If you’re successful, the DfE award you with QTS and update your record on the database of qualified teachers. Your QTS certificate will be available online from the teacher self-service website, therefore you can apply for jobs when your number is on this database. Each institution has to submit qualifications to DfE, we usually do this once degree classifications have been released.

Although we can’t say 100% the employment after graduating stats are positive!
94% of those who graduated went into employment after their PGCE.

I'm waiting to hear back on Skype interview advice but I'll update this thread as soon as I hear back

Hope this helps!

(Original post by Ellewillsx)
Hey,

I am looking to apply to the Primary PGCE at the university of sunderland starting 2020.

How are people funding their lives on non salaried PGCEs? All I am aware of is student finance as there are no bursaries for just primary are there?

Sorry for all of the questions I hope someone can help answer some of them
Last edited by UniversityOfSunderland; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (417)
43.99%
No (98)
10.34%
I'm not old enough (433)
45.68%

Watched Threads