The Student Room Group

Primary PGCE experience at YSJ/Roehampton/UCL

Hello :smile:)

I'm heading into my final year of study at the Uni of York, and am looking to apply for Primary PGCE programs commencing the year after (2024-25)

So I wanted to know if anyone who completed the primary PGCE course for any of these unis; York St. John, Roehampton, UCL had any thoughts/reviews of it they could share!

Especially strengths and weakness, the amount of support from colleagues, the uni and other students or just anything at all that stood out from the course :smile:

Please also state if it was School direct or uni centred

Thanks in advance!
Original post by AngusXtreme

I'm heading into my final year of study at the Uni of York, and am looking to apply for Primary PGCE programs commencing the year after (2024-25)

So I wanted to know if anyone who completed the primary PGCE course for any of these unis; York St. John, Roehampton, UCL had any thoughts/reviews of it they could share!

Especially strengths and weakness, the amount of support from colleagues, the uni and other students or just anything at all that stood out from the course :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Hi there!

I thought I would comment on this since I attend YSJ as a full time Primary Ed student. The PGCE students share a few of the same tutors with us. The tutors are so informative and great at explaining theories and ideas. I have spoken to a PGCE student here and they seemed to be pretty satisfied with the experience. I love this uni because it is actually quite a small one, which feels more communal. It is all on one campus other than our sports centre, and is so close to the centre of town which is perfect for me as someone who cannot drive but loves to explore. A huge strength for York St John is that we are the only uni who graduate in the Minster. I also love how many opportunities there are for students in terms of societies- I am a member of the dance society and we attend lots of competitions and have some really great quality shows. I personally think it is a great uni for Education degrees because I feel that the teaching is great quality and the location is amazing. I'm pretty sure for PGCE students you go on 3 large placements throughout the year so will likely spend more time in school than uni.

While I have no clue what the other unis are like, YSJ would be a pretty solid choice if you picked this one. Good luck with your decision and I hope you find the best one for your needs! If you have any more questions about YSJ then I'm happy to try and help.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Reply 2

Thanks in advance!

I'd look at Edge Hill and Oxford Brookes rather than those you mention.

Thanks in advance!

Did you apply to YSJ? I have for primary Ed PGCE university cantered x

Thanks in advance!

Im currently doing my PGCE Primary (KS1/KS2) at Roehampton, it's brilliant couldn't recommend it enough!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending