The Student Room Group

How do I get around Ask4 "limits"?

So thinking about moving to Rede house, been there recently and discovered that they had Ask4 as an ISP (never heard of it before) but I pretty much found out it's alot like StudentCom.

(i've had a bit of a history with those, and support is awful)

Don't know what the average speed is for Ask4, most around here are about 70-100 Mb/s average, think this might be the same but can't find anything that can confirm, and at the time of writing, Rede haven't gotten back to me yet.

So with that, I had a few questions;

Can you use your own router?
Ask4 say it can "degrade the service that you and your neighbours receive by interfering with and disrupting their wireless signal."
This is kinda true IF you don't know how to change the channel, most will adjust themselves automaically anyways and if not it can be done manually. They have the same excuse as StudentCom
In translation, you can bring your own routers. I don't really know why they even say this.

But in addtition to this, they (ask4) have a limit, per device. They block it via MAC adress too, great. Apparently there is workarounds on this
(something on the lines of making it think that everything is a single adress)
would love to know how people got around it, paying money JUST to connect another device to a network (mine or theirs) sounds ridiculous.

EDIT: Ok so there is a pice of the puzzle sorted, had some documentation on their website.
Turns out here there is a limit of 3 "devices" and the speed is 30Mb/s on wired and 20Mb/s on their Wi-Fi

30? In one of the fastest places in the country, 30?
I'm probally exadgerating a bit and it probaly won't be all that bad and is enough for most people. (definitely if it isn't very e-involved) just though it would be more better in just nowadays.

They have a live chat feature so I can probaly bring up other things with them directly.
(edited 4 years ago)
Weird, my accomodation uses ASK4 and nothing is blocked afaik
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
Weird, my accomodation uses ASK4 and nothing is blocked afaik

Oh really?
This is mostly at this point just speculation and from what I have read from parts of their website and reviews.
To make it more complicated I learnt that it can change from places as well.
Original post by RekoRed_
Oh really?
This is mostly at this point just speculation and from what I have read from parts of their website and reviews.
To make it more complicated I learnt that it can change from places as well.

Yeh I've never had anything blocked, although I don't really go on anything nefarious so :tongue:
Speed seems pretty good, it's better than my home WiFi although that is crap so that's not saying much.
I believe you can pay a certain amount when you sign up and that gives you faster speeds. The free one is just normal internet for up to 5 devices afaik
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
Yeh I've never had anything blocked, although I don't really go on anything nefarious so :tongue:
Speed seems pretty good, it's better than my home WiFi although that is crap so that's not saying much.
I believe you can pay a certain amount when you sign up and that gives you faster speeds. The free one is just normal internet for up to 5 devices afaik

Yeah I don't either lol,
Thats another thing I did get from the reviews, something about packages.
But saying all that, all this research is pretty old (on here about 8 years old) so things might of changed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending