The Student Room Group

Oxbridge specific fees and considerations

Are there any 'hidden fees' at your Oxford/Cambridge college you wish you'd been more aware of before you started?

What costs that are unique to Oxbridge, such as printing, resources, dinners and formals, should people who are applying this year be aware of?

Also does your college offer a bursary or fund of any kind, like the St. John's (Oxford) book vouchers?

Please also mention which college/uni you go to :smile:
At newnham college, cambridge.

I come from a low income background and have received significantly more financial support here than i would have at other unis. i automatically received £3500 from the cambridge bursary scheme and an additional £800 bursary from newnham on filling in a simple form, as well as money off my rent. the college also offers up to 50% refund on any academic books purchased (and will also just buy it into the library for you) and large travel grants are available as well. there are other bursaries for sports equipment, money off music lessons etc, you just have to apply.

As for 'hidden' costs - they weren't exactly hidden but in our first college bill we had to pay a £250 deposit of caution money. also if your course requires extras such as field trips, equipment, lab coats you have to pay these but again my college refunded me when i submitted a request. printing may be an issue if you're required to print lots of stuff but i have never needed to.

formals can be expensive but you aren't required to go, i only went to about 3 formals i paid for in my first year. the big cost can be if you want to go to a may ball, but there are plenty of smaller and cheaper events in may week, such as the cambridge oxfam society garden party for example.

overall i am a lot more financially comfortable at cambridge than i would have been elsewhere and college in my experience has been very generous as long as you ask and fill in the right form
Fitzwilliam college, Cambridge.

The Minimum Meals Charge, which is a certain amount of money you're forced to spend on meals in college every term. If you spend less than the MMC on food, then they take the rest anyway so you might as well spend it all. At least formals count though, so you won't end up spending much more money than you'd be doing anyway.

And the Kitchen Fixed Charge. This is a small amount to contribute to the running of the kitchen. It makes sense, and isn't too expensive, but it would have been nice to know about it before applying and accepting offers.

The college offers an additional bursary of £1000 per year for students who are eligible for the standard cambridge bursary, which I am indeed eligible for. This in total adds to a maximum of £4500 per year, which is a huge amount and more than covers any of the oxbridge specific costs.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RhynieChert

I come from a low income background and have received significantly more financial support here than i would have at other unis. i automatically received £3500 from the cambridge bursary scheme and an additional £800 bursary from newnham on filling in a simple form, as well as money off my rent. the college also offers up to 50% refund on any academic books purchased (and will also just buy it into the library for you) and large travel grants are available as well. there are other bursaries for sports equipment, money off music lessons etc, you just have to apply.

As for 'hidden' costs - they weren't exactly hidden but in our first college bill we had to pay a £250 deposit of caution money. also if your course requires extras such as field trips, equipment, lab coats you have to pay these but again my college refunded me when i submitted a request. printing may be an issue if you're required to print lots of stuff but i have never needed to.

formals can be expensive but you aren't required to go, i only went to about 3 formals i paid for in my first year. the big cost can be if you want to go to a may ball, but there are plenty of smaller and cheaper events in may week, such as the cambridge oxfam society garden party for example.

overall i am a lot more financially comfortable at cambridge than i would have been elsewhere and college in my experience has been very generous as long as you ask and fill in the right form

That sounds nice. It's interesting and great to see universities - particularly those that tend to be quite middle-class - helping out lower-income pupils!
Reply 4
Original post by MagnumKoishi
Fitzwilliam college, Cambridge.

The Minimum Meals Charge, which is a certain amount of money you're forced to spend on meals in college every term. If you spend less than the MMC on food, then they take the rest anyway so you might as well spend it all. At least formals count though, so you won't end up spending much more money than you'd be doing anyway.

And the Kitchen Fixed Charge. This is a small amount to contribute to the running of the kitchen. It makes sense, and isn't too expensive, but it would have been nice to know about it before applying and accepting offers.

The college offers an additional bursary of £1000 per year for students who are eligible for the standard cambridge bursary, which I am indeed eligible for. This in total adds to a maximum of £4500 per year, which is a huge amount and more than covers any of the oxbridge specific costs.

Thank you for this, that's really helpful :h: how much are the MMC and Kitchen Fixed Charge?
Reply 5
Original post by RhynieChert

Nice! Thanks for this, it's really helpful stuff. So how much is the may ball/other events?
Original post by candokoala
Nice! Thanks for this, it's really helpful stuff. So how much is the may ball/other events?

may balls range in price from £100 to over £200
Original post by candokoala
Thank you for this, that's really helpful :h: how much are the MMC and Kitchen Fixed Charge?

As of now, around £600 per year in total (though bear in mind almost half of that £600 is actually paying for food, so it's not like you're losing it).

Although they're gradually phasing it out, so it'll reduce by a small amount every term

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending