The Student Room Group

equal consideration for international student?

Hello, I am an international IB student planning to go to the UK to study computer science, but I haven't applied yet. I realize the equal consideration deadline is January. Still, when I was researching, one university asked international students to apply as early as possible compared to home students, who they say can apply by January. I haven't finalized my college list and personal statement. So, I'm wondering whether, at this point, I am already or will be at a disadvantage. Does the equal consideration deadline really not apply to international students?

Is there a possibility of them running out of offers before the deadline? I'm planning to apply by the end of November but my teachers haven't finished their references so it might be delayed even more
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by BangPitung
Hello, I am an international IB student planning to go to the UK to study computer science, but I haven't applied yet. I realize the equal consideration deadline is January. Still, when I was researching, one university asked international students to apply as early as possible compared to home students, who they say can apply by January. I haven't finalized my college list and personal statement. So, I'm wondering whether, at this point, I am already or will be at a disadvantage. Does the equal consideration deadline really not apply to international students?

Is there a possibility of them running out of offers before the deadline? I'm planning to apply by the end of November but my teachers haven't finished their references so it might be delayed even more

The equal consideration deadline applies to international students too. Some unis like to encourage students to apply early, to spread their workload and avoid the inevitable peak at the end of January. They won't run out of offers - don't worry.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The equal consideration deadline applies to international students too. Some unis like to encourage students to apply early, to spread their workload and avoid the inevitable peak at the end of January. They won't run out of offers - don't worry.

Thanks! Seems a bit dishonest for them to intentionally make it seems like it doesn't apply to international students by saying home students can apply by January while international students should apply as soon as possible
Thanks! Seems a bit dishonest for them to intentionally make it seems like it doesn't apply to international students by saying home students can apply by January while international students should apply as soon as possible

Agreed.

I tend to report this kind of thing to UCAS when I come across it (as they have rules which specifically tell unis not to put pressure on students in this way).

You say "one university asked international students to apply as early as possible". Is that on their web site? Do you have a link? Or was it in an email only?
Reply 4
Agreed.

I tend to report this kind of thing to UCAS when I come across it (as they have rules which specifically tell unis not to put pressure on students in this way).

You say "one university asked international students to apply as early as possible". Is that on their web site? Do you have a link? Or was it in an email only?

It's on their web site, I forgot which university it's but I will search for it. They don't directly say that international student won't have equal consideration but the language definitely imply so
Reply 5
Agreed.

Hey, sorry it's been a long time, I just found the university, it's Exeter and here's the link

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/howtoapply/#international

For regular UCAS or application deadline, they said "all home/EU students are given full and equal consideration"

But if you go to the deadline for international page, it doesn't say anything about full and equal consideration and the first thing they said was to apply as early as possible. I feel like this is already borderline illegal if what you said is true.
Hey, sorry it's been a long time, I just found the university, it's Exeter and here's the link

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/howtoapply/#international

For regular UCAS or application deadline, they said "all home/EU students are given full and equal consideration"

But if you go to the deadline for international page, it doesn't say anything about full and equal consideration and the first thing they said was to apply as early as possible. I feel like this is already borderline illegal if what you said is true.

Thank you for that link. I have contacted UCAS and made them aware of the issue on the Exeter web site. Note that the dates Exeter are quoting are also wrong.

In terms of confirmation that my assertion that the equal consideration deadline applies to international applicants, see UCAS's Advisor Guide 2024 which says:

"International students
Applicants who submit their application by
18:00 (UK time) on the course deadline date are
guaranteed equal consideration by universities
and colleges. Many offer extended deadlines
for international applicants students should
check with universities and colleges. It’s
important to remember that most UK students
will make their applications well before the
deadline, and some popular courses might not
have places available after that date."
It's likely that Exeter don't close most courses to international students on the Equal Consideration Deadline so that's why they're talking about "as early as possible" (because once the deadline passes applications can be treated first come-first served and courses can close at any point) but they should also make it clear that the ECD exists and applies to international applicants.
Most universities including Exeter have their courses in clearing for overseas applicants but sometimes not for UK applicants. They want the extra fees international students pay. This tends to happen every year with Exeter and other places.
I wrote above that "I have contacted UCAS and made them aware of the issue on the Exeter web site." They have now responded.

That have confirmed that "the Equal Consideration Deadline of 31 January 2024 does apply to all applicants, including EU and International."

Given that Exeter have the wrong date on that page too, I asked UCAS whether Exeter's page could just be out-of-date. They responded that, "I believe several years ago there were separate Equal Consideration Deadlines for Home and International applicants, although this has not been the case for some time." So Exeter can't really use that as an excuse.

UCAS concluded by saying that, "I shall get in touch with them directly to advise of the correct date and ask if they might be able to update their information accordingly."

I'll keep an eye on the page to see when (and if) it changes. If they merely change the date, and not the misleading advise about the equal consideration deadline, then I'll follow-up with them directly (quoting my correspondence with UCAS).
Reply 10
I wrote above that "I have contacted UCAS and made them aware of the issue on the Exeter web site." They have now responded.

That have confirmed that "the Equal Consideration Deadline of 31 January 2024 does apply to all applicants, including EU and International."

Given that Exeter have the wrong date on that page too, I asked UCAS whether Exeter's page could just be out-of-date. They responded that, "I believe several years ago there were separate Equal Consideration Deadlines for Home and International applicants, although this has not been the case for some time." So Exeter can't really use that as an excuse.

UCAS concluded by saying that, "I shall get in touch with them directly to advise of the correct date and ask if they might be able to update their information accordingly."

I'll keep an eye on the page to see when (and if) it changes. If they merely change the date, and not the misleading advise about the equal consideration deadline, then I'll follow-up with them directly (quoting my correspondence with UCAS).

Hello, I see their website again and they have changed the date to UCAS deadline. However, they still say that international students should apply as soon as possible and before the UCAS deadline.
Hello, I see their website again and they have changed the date to UCAS deadline. However, they still say that international students should apply as soon as possible and before the UCAS deadline.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll drop them an e-mail and point out the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending