The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Psychology - Is it worth the try?

Here’s a few things about me:

I’m predicted A*ABB-A*BBB

I’m from a very very very terrible school and background so I would qualify for a contextual.

My GCSE’s are arse.

I’ve always thought about applying to Durham but have been deterred by my own doubt and past. But recently everything is going greatly and I’ve finally hit my stride in school. I’m resorting GCSE maths in 2 months and to be honest I’m sure I’ll get a B (most likely higher) considering how much better I am at Math compared to my past self.

My extra curriculars are solid and and my personal statement will be aswell. I’ve not always wanted to do Psychology but now I do I’ve done everything I could to get my statement ready regardless of how little opportunity I had.

But the main question here is it even worth applying all things considered?
Original post by GoogGooglyMoogly
Here’s a few things about me:

I’m predicted A*ABB-A*BBB

I’m from a very very very terrible school and background so I would qualify for a contextual.

My GCSE’s are arse.

I’ve always thought about applying to Durham but have been deterred by my own doubt and past. But recently everything is going greatly and I’ve finally hit my stride in school. I’m resorting GCSE maths in 2 months and to be honest I’m sure I’ll get a B (most likely higher) considering how much better I am at Math compared to my past self.

My extra curriculars are solid and and my personal statement will be aswell. I’ve not always wanted to do Psychology but now I do I’ve done everything I could to get my statement ready regardless of how little opportunity I had.

But the main question here is it even worth applying all things considered?

Durham are letting in anyone in these days due to their silly expansion, so although you don't meet the requirements, you will have 4 other UCAS choices to use up so why not try?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by A Rolling Stone
Durham are letting in anyone in these days due to their silly expansion, so although you don't meet the requirements, you will have 4 other UCAS choices to use up so why not try?

Thanks for the advice! What expansion and why is it so silly?
Thanks for the advice! What expansion and why is it so silly?

don't like these unis so bloodthirsty for more students tuition fees that the unis expand to the point of losing their selectivity, which is part of their appeal in the first place
bump
Help?
They are setting up at least four new colleges in the next few years - a completely new college is being opened next year with new buildings and another college is moving to new buildings that was moved from stockton. = 1000 more students needed. They are also looking for student from a more disadvantaged background. Definitely apply, worth a shot.
Original post by Hugh's Swan
They are setting up at least four new colleges in the next few years - a completely new college is being opened next year with new buildings and another college is moving to new buildings that was moved from stockton. = 1000 more students needed. They are also looking for student from a more disadvantaged background. Definitely apply, worth a shot.

Thanks! I might still give it a try. I just don’t wanna waste a space if it’s an instant deny
Thanks! I might still give it a try. I just don’t wanna waste a space if it’s an instant deny

If you're personal statement and reference are good you'll get an offer. You'll probs make it with A*AB or AAB to be honest. See if you're eligible for Summer study programmes (although I think they're done for this year) because they can help you get lower offers. Or maybe arrange with one of the lecturers, by email, to come spend a day in department having a look round and sitting in some lectures. Then if you do apply you can mention it on your UCAS.
Original post by The_Lizard
If you're personal statement and reference are good you'll get an offer. You'll probs make it with A*AB or AAB to be honest. See if you're eligible for Summer study programmes (although I think they're done for this year) because they can help you get lower offers. Or maybe arrange with one of the lecturers, by email, to come spend a day in department having a look round and sitting in some lectures. Then if you do apply you can mention it on your UCAS.

That sounds really interesting, how do I go about doing that?
That sounds really interesting, how do I go about doing that?

email [email protected] and the guy's name is Dr Holgier Wiese. He's the admissions tutor and a lecturer in Psychology (ye olde google got me that far). Mention you want to see what the crack is with Durham to make sure you're 100% before you apply and ask if you can come along for a day to sit in a couple of lectures. They're generally stoked to have people show the initiative and have the interest to do something like that. Say something like "get a real feel for the university experience and how that works at Durham" or something. Good luck :smile:
Original post by The_Lizard
email [email protected] and the guy's name is Dr Holgier Wiese. He's the admissions tutor and a lecturer in Psychology (ye olde google got me that far). Mention you want to see what the crack is with Durham to make sure you're 100% before you apply and ask if you can come along for a day to sit in a couple of lectures. They're generally stoked to have people show the initiative and have the interest to do something like that. Say something like "get a real feel for the university experience and how that works at Durham" or something. Good luck :smile:

I’d love to try something like that. Although I live at the edge of South Wales, I’ll make the effort no matter what lol.
Reply 12
With 91% of applicants receiving offers, I should think so
Original post by Sinnoh
With 91% of applicants receiving offers, I should think so

Holy ****. That’s kinda reassuring.
Reply 14
Holy ****. That’s kinda reassuring.

Lol. Quite often universities tell you the applicants to admissions ratio, i.e. how many applicants there are per actual place. If you're not familiar with how it works this can make the course seem a lot more competitive than it is, because universities always give out more offers than for which they have places, because not everyone firms or insures them, not everyone meets their offer, or they don't need the insurance because they got into their firm.
Original post by Sinnoh
Lol. Quite often universities tell you the applicants to admissions ratio, i.e. how many applicants there are per actual place. If you're not familiar with how it works this can make the course seem a lot more competitive than it is, because universities always give out more offers than for which they have places, because not everyone firms or insures them, not everyone meets their offer, or they don't need the insurance because they got into their firm.

That’s really interesting. I knew about them giving out more than they can take but so never expected Durham to hand out offers like that.

Quick Reply

Latest