The Student Room Group

Should I continue with a level maths?

My subjects are bio chem and maths and I replaced geography with maths because I don’t know what to be in the future and maths opens up lots of options. It’s the third week since I’ve started alevels and maths was good at first and now it’s kinda a nightmare. I ask things I don’t know, go drop ins and watch math solution videos which are so so helpful! But I already feel stressed and burnt out! There’s so much I need to do for maths!!! I have done everything for bio chem but maths keeps me from having to relax and chill and breathe!!! Lessons are far too fast paced and I do 5 hours a week in lessons (2.5 hours each on Tuesdays and Thursdays and no breaks in between!!) what should I do? I considered dropping it but then I think of the other kids doing it and trying hard (which I always try hard!) and I don’t want to stop it coz I know I can do it it’s just got a lot of work and I must make sure I know something well b4 the next thing. What should I do?
take it, focus on the outcome rather than the obstacle provided you continue working hard
Yes.
Reply 3
Original post by ArtmisKco
My subjects are bio chem and maths and I replaced geography with maths because I don’t know what to be in the future and maths opens up lots of options. It’s the third week since I’ve started alevels and maths was good at first and now it’s kinda a nightmare. I ask things I don’t know, go drop ins and watch math solution videos which are so so helpful! But I already feel stressed and burnt out! There’s so much I need to do for maths!!! I have done everything for bio chem but maths keeps me from having to relax and chill and breathe!!! Lessons are far too fast paced and I do 5 hours a week in lessons (2.5 hours each on Tuesdays and Thursdays and no breaks in between!!) what should I do? I considered dropping it but then I think of the other kids doing it and trying hard (which I always try hard!) and I don’t want to stop it coz I know I can do it it’s just got a lot of work and I must make sure I know something well b4 the next thing. What should I do?

personally i would continue maths because it is one of the most respected A-levels for unis and it also opens lots of doors in the future
Personally i think you should drop it. I got an A* in maths gcse and loved it but when i started y12 i had the same stressful thoughts as you. I ignored them and thought if i work hard enough it will get better but it hasn't. i have just started y13 maths and it has gotton even worse. It is very hard and i regret not dropping it. I would honestly do anything to go back and change my a levels. Biology and Chemistry are hard enough and by doing maths as well it is just so much more stressful. In regards to it being a "respected" a level, so are chem and bio so it really isn't worth the stress unless you want to do a course that specifically requires maths. I am applying to dentistry which wants 3 As and i wish i had chosen a different a level because i would have a better chance at getting an A. I have lot of friends who have gotten into and are applying to med/dent without maths as their third a level.

Having said this, if you really enjoy maths and want to do it then go for it because you could have better luck than me, i am advising you based on my experience.

Good luck!
Original post by student27170102
Personally i think you should drop it. I got an A* in maths gcse and loved it but when i started y12 i had the same stressful thoughts as you. I ignored them and thought if i work hard enough it will get better but it hasn't. i have just started y13 maths and it has gotton even worse. It is very hard and i regret not dropping it. I would honestly do anything to go back and change my a levels. Biology and Chemistry are hard enough and by doing maths as well it is just so much more stressful. In regards to it being a "respected" a level, so are chem and bio so it really isn't worth the stress unless you want to do a course that specifically requires maths. I am applying to dentistry which wants 3 As and i wish i had chosen a different a level because i would have a better chance at getting an A. I have lot of friends who have gotten into and are applying to med/dent without maths as their third a level.

Having said this, if you really enjoy maths and want to do it then go for it because you could have better luck than me, i am advising you based on my experience.

Good luck!

Thank you for you reply especially coz you understand my situation! I was considering geography as that was my original third and they haven’t done much yet but I’ll see after this week- I’ll make my decision
i got a 9 in geography and really enjoyed it but i didnt pick it because i thought the best trio for uni was chem bio and math and that maths looks better than geog. Wish i did geography now though.
Just pick what you want and then put really put work into it and hopefully it becomes easier for you!
Unless your university course needs A level Maths, you don't need it. It won't impress admission teams if you take Maths instead of Geography. They won't think you're smarter for taking it.

Do the subject that'll get you the best grade / the one you enjoy the most.

Again, A level Maths is only useful if you need it for your course but most courses don't need it.
Reply 8
Honestly Maths is just like this. However, If you enjoy geography more, then you should probably do Geography because you don’t actually have to do Maths for most sciencey courses. They have maths lessons at uni for people who didn’t take Maths A Level and Geography is a very good A Level to take for getting into variety of degrees. But if you’re gonna stick to Maths, then just to let you know it is hard work for the whole two years but if you work hard, you’ll get a good grade out of it and it will still be a good a level to do for preparing you for uni.
Original post by Quick-use
Unless your university course needs A level Maths, you don't need it. It won't impress admission teams if you take Maths instead of Geography. They won't think you're smarter for taking it.

Do the subject that'll get you the best grade / the one you enjoy the most.

Again, A level Maths is only useful if you need it for your course but most courses don't need it.

To be honest I’m not worried about getting a bad grade in maths. I’m worrying about my mental health and the amount of work I’ll need to put into it. I do love maths but in these circumstances I feel like it’ll make me really frustrated at my self and life. I always work hard no matter what but I would like to breathe relax and do a bit of extra curriculars, host charities and stuff like that too. And I don’t know what I want to be in the future- I chose maths coz it opens up more doors and I also got a grade 9 in geography but I’m worried coz if I start geography I’ve missef around 12 lessons
Honestly you should drop it. Maths gets harder/more intense again going from y1/as to y2 a level. 12 lessons doesn’t sound like a lot to me compared to the work you’re going to have to do keeping up with maths. Maths does open more doors but only if you want to do a degree or career with a high maths content. Otherwise you’ll probably be ok
Original post by ArtmisKco
And I don’t know what I want to be in the future- I chose maths coz it opens up more doors

What doors exactly does Maths open up for you? Neither I nor many of my friends did A level Maths and we've been fine. I don't understand why you're so fixated on continuing the subject if it's negatively impacting your life. If it's something that's causing you grief now, can you truly imagine studying it at university or doing it as a career?

Not many university degrees even need A level Maths. You're just being indecisive and prolonging your suffering.
you can easily catch up as the start lessons are quite basic. my sixth forms lets you change uptil end of oct as they dont think it will have a bad impact . Yes its draining having to do so much revision for maths. i am always stressed because you cant do enough practice and i want to do everything if that makes sense
Original post by student27170102
you can easily catch up as the start lessons are quite basic. my sixth forms lets you change uptil end of oct as they dont think it will have a bad impact . Yes its draining having to do so much revision for maths. i am always stressed because you cant do enough practice and i want to do everything if that makes sense

I really understand. I’ve changed it to geo now and I’ve almost caught up. I have a few questions here and there otherwise it’s alright. Thanks though!!

Quick Reply

Latest