The Student Room Group

Biggest Oxbridge Myths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrysbar
I've heard that he has found the last number of pi :h:

Did someone say pie? The last pie? If it's blackberry and apple, I'm having it...
Original post by Deggs_14
Does everyone just study from dusk until dawn every day? Is this required to even achieve a grade?

My son just went back to Oxford with 10 bottles of wine and a poker table so... no.
That everyone who go to Oxbridge will get a well paying job. I meet another Oxbridge grads who are on job seekers or funded by their parents.
Original post by Wired_1800
Haha, that is true. I understand what you mean, but Trinity is Trinity. Corpus at Cam is just there. Other than their clock and central location, they could be Girton. :colone:

Pray tell whatever could be wrong with Girton? At least it's convenient for quick getaways from Cambridge.
Original post by 学生の父
Pray tell whatever could be wrong with Girton? At least it's convenient for quick getaways from Cambridge.

Sorry. There isn't anything wrong with Girton, other than it is miles away from civilisation.
But it’s still a Cambridge college. Many would sell their granny and then some to get in there
Original post by Oxford Mum
But it’s still a Cambridge college. Many would sell their granny and then some to get in there

I agree. It was made as a joke. Girton is a nice college.
Reply 47
It's a myth that Oxbridge interviews students:

"Oxbridge University is the most ridiculously impossible University to get into on the planet. This is due primarily to the fact that it has long since ceased interviewing potential students, instead telepathically screening all 17 year olds on October 12th, Cewster's Friday, and selecting those who show the greatest attraction to the stale, wizened tutors and possessed of the silliest accents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxbridge
After 2 years here studying medicine, I'd agree; most of what's said is apocryphal &/or myth.
That said, during my sixth form, I genuinely did read through 125 pp of an undergrad textbook on Neurology, since I've wanted to be a Neurologist since aged 15 - and to study at Cambridge.
Therefore, I cited that on my UCAS/PS in expectation that they would challenge me at my interview.

- And they did; the questions got harder and harder... my hands, folded in my lap, were wet from perspiring, but I answered reasonably convincingly.

Offer was A* A A below what many here were made, so perhaps that prep made them like me.

Ps. It is cool to study here, it's not like Harvard, where ( - from a visit to a friend there)
the medical students are so conceited they think they're Gods ... or starring in a cheesy TV series... lol :smile:

( studying medicine is nothing like TV )

Best of luck!

Camille
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sir Cumference
It's a myth that Oxbridge interviews students:

"Oxbridge University is the most ridiculously impossible University to get into on the planet. This is due primarily to the fact that it has long since ceased interviewing potential students, instead telepathically screening all 17 year olds on October 12th, Cewster's Friday, and selecting those who show the greatest attraction to the stale, wizened tutors and possessed of the silliest accents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxbridge

:rofl:

Bantersaurus Rex
Original post by CamilleStSaens
After 2 years here studying medicine, I'd agree; most of what's said is apocryphal &/or myth.
That said, during my sixth form, I genuinely did read through 125 pp of an undergrad textbook on Neurology, since I've wanted to be a Neurologist since aged 15 - and to study at Cambridge.
Therefore, I cited that on my UCAS/PS in expectation that they would challenge me at my interview.

- And they did; the questions got harder and harder... my hands, folded in my lap, were wet from perspiring, but I answered reasonably convincingly.

Offer was A* A A below what many here were made, so perhaps that prep made them like me.

Ps. It is cool to study here, it's not like Harvard, where ( - from a visit to a friend there)
the medical students are so conceited they think they're Gods ... or starring in a cheesy TV series... lol :smile:

( studying medicine is nothing like TV )

Best of luck!

Camille

@CamilleStSaens

You must be my son's Cambridge equivalent, then. He is in his third year at Oxford medicine. He also loves neurology and has a model of a brain on his desk. When he came to to do his EPQ on the explanatory gap, he wrote 44,000 words instead of the recommended limit of 5,000. For his 2nd/3rd year project his subject is also the brain.
Original post by 学生の父

Nothing quick about the A14 ..
Original post by RogerOxon
Nothing quick about the A14 ..

Nothing quick about the M40 half the time, either
Original post by looloo2134
That everyone who go to Oxbridge will get a well paying job.

This. The expectation seems to be that every Oxbridge graduate will be heading a multinational company - the number of graduates per year makes that ridiculous.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Nothing quick about the M40 half the time, either

More lanes, and nicer scenery though.

When you spot the Chinese pagoda (as I call it) on the M40, you know you're near Oxford!

Yeah, but when I was sitting stationary on the A14 near the Girton interchange last week, it looked like they were doubling the road's width.

I agree with @Oxford Mum, though: the M40's scenery is nicer.
Original post by 学生の父
Yeah, but when I was sitting stationary on the A14 near the Girton interchange last week, it looked like they were doubling the road's width.

Good. Just in time for it be underwater :wink:. Flooding always worries me when I lived there.

Original post by 学生の父
I agree with @Oxford Mum, though: the M40's scenery is nicer.

That was me :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

It was even nicer before they built it.
Good. Just in time for it be underwater :wink:. Flooding always worries me when I lived there.

That was me :smile:

Sorry to you and @Oxford Mum. I really must pay more attention. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending