The Student Room Group

Should I consider switching to a grammar (state school) for sixth form?

i've always wanted to aim for oxbridge, but currently I study at a mediocre private school with a bursary. I haven't heard anyone in my school's A-Levels to have got into Oxbridge. I've also heard that sometimes Oxbridge will tend to look over private school applicants and somewhat 'support' state school applicants more? Would it be worth me switching at A-levels. Would they know if I have a bursary aswell and would that help my case? My private school isn't massively great or well-known, it's just somewhat good in my area, if I were to go to a grammar school it'd be far.
Reply 1
I’m kinda in the same position as you but it’s the opposite lol. I want to move to a private school but idk if it’s too late since it’s already near the end of September. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
i've always wanted to aim for oxbridge, but currently I study at a mediocre private school with a bursary. I haven't heard anyone in my school's A-Levels to have got into Oxbridge. I've also heard that sometimes Oxbridge will tend to look over private school applicants and somewhat 'support' state school applicants more? Would it be worth me switching at A-levels. Would they know if I have a bursary aswell and would that help my case? My private school isn't massively great or well-known, it's just somewhat good in my area, if I were to go to a grammar school it'd be far.

Oxford will not overlook you because you are at private school.This is a myth that certain sections of the press love to run every year.
The main concern is is the teaching at your school good enough to get you the A level grades you need.Where are you in the country?
When you say the grammar is far away how far are we talking and how hard is the commute?
Reply 3
Original post by irenxic
I’m kinda in the same position as you but it’s the opposite lol. I want to move to a private school but idk if it’s too late since it’s already near the end of September. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Only the school can answer that one.Why do you want to move,?
Original post by Scotney
Oxford will not overlook you because you are at private school.This is a myth that certain sections of the press love to run every year.
The main concern is is the teaching at your school good enough to get you the A level grades you need.Where are you in the country?
When you say the grammar is far away how far are we talking and how hard is the commute?

Well, I've heard rumours of them preferring 'dis-advantaged' students or those within grammar schools. In terms of A levels, mine would be perfectly fine going with the idea that I work my hardest. In terms of grammar schools, commuting would be pretty hard with me looking at 1 hour train rides or more, or possibly moving we haven't talked about that. I think I could easily get good grades with my school, just don't want to be dragged down with the name of having a 'private school' in my application as I haven't heard much people in my school studying onto Oxbridge.
Original post by irenxic

Why to private lol? I mean fair if you think it'll get you better grades.
Reply 6
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
Well, I've heard rumours of them preferring 'dis-advantaged' students or those within grammar schools. In terms of A levels, mine would be perfectly fine going with the idea that I work my hardest. In terms of grammar schools, commuting would be pretty hard with me looking at 1 hour train rides or more, or possibly moving we haven't talked about that. I think I could easily get good grades with my school, just don't want to be dragged down with the name of having a 'private school' in my application as I haven't heard much people in my school studying onto Oxbridge.

As I said before private schools are still statistically over represented If your school does not send many students to Oxford then you will certainly not be affected.In fact I just reread my post and I said it right first time.If you are not going to believe advice given there is not much point in asking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending