The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
oriel historian
I use it all the time. It's also come in quite useful for a multitude of other things. Have you ever read Lord of the Rings btw?

i thought the films were boring let alone if it involved reading!

thats a no from me why did it have welsh in it?
Reply 41
itsliam
Much better Ken Clarke's idea to prevent Westminster MPs from constituencies governed by the devolved assemblies from voting in England-only matters.

Clarke hasn't actually reported. Indeed, a Telegraph article recently suggested that his review had dropped the idea in favour of English-only representation at committee stage: which was what Scotland had before the Scottish Parliament.

mipmapped
High oil prices mean that Scotland is in surplus this year.

Indeed so, but equally I don't feel that should have any ramifications for how the Chancellor apportions the budget: money should be distributed on terms of need, not in terms of who apparently contributes most. After all, I don't live near any oil fields, I didn't earn them any more than anyone else in Britain.
Reply 42
gm15
one central bank (rename the Bank of England to something like the Bank of Britain)

My MP notably put forward an Early Day Motion calling for the Bank of England to be renamed the United Kingdom Central Bank. Personally, I quite like it as it is - it's historic.

one look of the currency (non of this different look for scotland stuff)

It's not special treatment for Scotland (and Northern Ireland) only - the ability of private banks to issue notes was permissible in England and Wales in the past.

Tucker isn't Newport in Wales? (I'm bad at geography) If so its nice to see somebody from Wales opposed to devolution.

Here's a person from Scotland who is at least devolution-sceptic.
Reply 43
Elipsis
This leads me to my second point: why is England the only country in Britain paying tuition fees and prescriptions?

Neither of these is points is true.

I have looked long and hard for what Wales, Scotland and NI are missing out on in order to pay for this and have found nothing.

Well, for one we don't have the Olympic Games - which seems to be the current financial irk of the Scottish nationalists and indeed the connected things: the most recent I remember in the news was free swimming for over 60s in England.
Reply 44
Elipsis
I agree, before long it will be devolved down into counties if we keep on going and we will lose all collective power. At the end of the day if any country within Britain should get free university fees it should be England because it has more internationally recognised and high calibre universities and students than Wales, NI, and Scotland put together.

That's because England is a larger country. As such, it also has at least seven times what many would consider **** universities than Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland put together. Also, as far as I'm aware only the latter gets free tuition. So what's your point if you have one?
Reply 45
OMG did any of you watch question time last night?

they talked abot devolution, devolution and more devolution.

BUt in the end it took the Comedian DAVID mitchell to really hit the nail on the head,

"I will always see myself as British first it is the Country I was born in, English second. And it will be a sad day when I see the country I was born into break up".

:biggrin: Bravo mr.Mitchell

Grant :biggrin:
Reply 46
L i b
Neither of these is points is true.

Well, for one we don't have the Olympic Games - which seems to be the current financial irk of the Scottish nationalists and indeed the connected things: the most recent I remember in the news was free swimming for over 60s in England.

Yes it is true; England is the only country that pays both tuition fees and prescriptions, NIs prescriptions are only on hold at the moment but they will be frozen and free for a long time to come. I'm sure if it was put to a vote and we had the choice we'd choose not to have the olympic games for free prescriptions and education. Pretty poor arguments from you there Lib, usually you're much better. To be honest I never had you down as a lame ass anonymous neg repper but there we go.
Reply 47
Elipsis
Yes it is true; England is the only country that pays both tuition fees and prescriptions, NIs prescriptions are only on hold at the moment but they will be frozen and free for a long time to come. I'm sure if it was put to a vote and we had the choice we'd choose not to have the olympic games for free prescriptions and education.

:confused:

I live in Wales and we neither have free prescriptions or free tuition fees.

:s-smilie:

Reply 48
tucker672
:confused:

I live in Wales and we neither have free prescriptions or free tuition fees.

:s-smilie:

I'm sure they said on the news the other day that they were scraping those in Wales thanks to the Welsh assembly:confused: . Just found this sorry:
http://www.hero.ac.uk/uk/studying/funding_your_study/2006_entry/wales.cfm
You get it for over half the price!
Reply 49
Elipsis

It has well over 7 times the population of Ireland, Wales and Scotland put together... My point is that we have better universities as well i.e. Oxbridge, who we as Britain would do better to pay for than all of Scotland because their education is more valuable. They could obviously have the same thing for St Andrews and Edinburgh, basically any uni in the UK worth it's salt but I think it takes the piss that somebody doing puppet studies in Scotland gets their fees paid and somebody doing Physics at Oxford does not.

Here you go seeing as you failed to read it properly the first time; I clearly said that there are scottish universities worth paying for, but there are English universities that deserve funding before some of the lesser scottish universities get their tuition paid.
Reply 50
Elipsis
I'm sure they said on the news the other day that they were scraping those in Wales thanks to the Welsh assembly:confused: . Just found this sorry:
http://www.hero.ac.uk/uk/studying/funding_your_study/2006_entry/wales.cfm
You get it for over half the price!

No free prescriptions and No free tuition fees in wales just a grant.

And there are only a small amount of universities in Wales:

1.Cardiff University (29)
2.University of Glamorgan (77)
3.University of Wales, Aberystwyth(43)
4.University of Wales College, Newport (96)
5.University of Wales Institute (85)
6.University of Wales, Swansea (48)
7.University of Wales, Bangor (51)
8.University of Wales, Carmarthan (Trinity College)
9.Swansea Metropolitan University
10.University of Wales, Lampeter(70)

So Wales has only 10 Universities to keep up with its demand, if we were a separate country Wales would have NOvets becuase that isnt offered by any of our uni's neither is PPE or the like. And worst of all the number in the brackets are the ranking on the times tables. Our top university is ranked 29th I think we should have discounted fee's FGS look how bad they are.

Just to clear things up we DON'T have free prescriptions or free tuition fee's - we have grant - for bad uni's.

Reply 51
tucker672
No free prescriptions and No free tuition fees in wales just a grant.

And there are only a small amount of universities in Wales:

1.Cardiff University (29)
2.University of Glamorgan (77)
3.University of Wales, Aberystwyth(43)
4.University of Wales College, Newport (96)
5.University of Wales Institute (85)
6.University of Wales, Swansea (48)
7.University of Wales, Bangor (51)
8.University of Wales, Carmarthan (Trinity College)
9.Swansea Metropolitan University
10.University of Wales, Lampeter(70)

So Wales has only 10 Universities to keep up with its demand, if we were a separate country Wales would have NOvets becuase that isnt offered by any of our uni's neither is PPE or the like. And worst of all the number in the brackets are the ranking on the times tables. Our top university is ranked 29th I think we should have discounted fee's FGS look how bad they are.

Just to clear things up we DON'T have free prescriptions or free tuition fee's - we have grant - for bad uni's.

That was my major gripe though, you're getting something for less than English residents yet you're paying the same tax. You only have 3 million residents, 10 unis is plenty!
Reply 52
Elipsis
They could obviously have the same thing for St Andrews and Edinburgh, basically any uni in the UK worth it's salt...

So only Edinburgh and St. Andrews in Scotland?

If those are the only universities that you think are good in Scotland, then it would be quite fair to say you'd have to pay tuition fees at Leeds.
Reply 53
foxo
So only Edinburgh and St. Andrews in Scotland?

If those are the only universities that you think are good in Scotland, then it would be quite fair to say you'd have to pay tuition fees at Leeds.

They were examples, I can't list every university decent university in Scotland without research, hence the reason I said and any other universities worth it. Although to be fair on a world wide scale Leeds is better than St Andrews by almost 50 places! http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ARWU2006FULLLIST-BY%20RANK%20(PDF).pdf
To be fair Scotland has no uni's in the top 50 of the world and England has 4 or 5, so why are we funding those universities out of the states pockets before the better ones?
Reply 54
Elipsis
They were examples, I can't list every university decent university in Scotland without research, hence the reason I said and any other universities worth it. Although to be fair on a world wide scale Leeds is better than St Andrews by almost 50 places! http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2006/ARWU2006FULLLIST-BY%20RANK%20(PDF).pdf

Let's put it this way if you like league tables. In The Times it was beaten by Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews, in the Independent league table it was beaten by Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andrews and Strathclyde, and in The Guardian it was beaten by Edinburgh, Glasgow, St. Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen. I notice that Glasgow and Edinburgh also beat it in that international one you posted.
Reply 55
foxo
Let's put it this way if you like league tables. Glasgow beat Leeds in all three national league tables published this year and it beat it in that idiotic international one you just posted.

In the Independent league table it was beaten by Strathclyde as well, and in The Guardian it was also beaten by Dundee and Aberdeen.

Yet again, as you happily glazed over to validate your petty argument, I said any university that is worth its weight. I didn't want to start a competition out of this, you were the one that attacked Leeds. Either way there are 4 universities that are better in England than the best Scottish university whose students deserve funding more on merit than the whole of Scotland does on post codes.
Reply 56
Elipsis

It has well over 7 times the population of Ireland, Wales and Scotland put together... My point is that we have better universities as well i.e. Oxbridge, who we as Britain would do better to pay for than all of Scotland because their education is more valuable. They could obviously have the same thing for St Andrews and Edinburgh, basically any uni in the UK worth it's salt but I think it takes the piss that somebody doing puppet studies in Scotland gets their fees paid and somebody doing Physics at Oxford does not.

Here you go seeing as you failed to read it properly the first time; I clearly said that there are scottish universities worth paying for, but there are English universities that deserve funding before some of the lesser scottish universities get their tuition paid.
Reply 57
Elipsis
Yet again, as you happily glazed over to validate your petty argument, I said any university that is worth its weight. I didn't want to start a competition out of this, you were the one that attacked Leeds. Either way there are 4 universities that are better in England than the best Scottish university whose students deserve funding more on merit than the whole of Scotland does on post codes.

I'm not attacking Leeds - I'm aware that it's a very good university. What irks me is that you're ignorantly attacking the quality of higher education in Scotland.
Reply 58
Elipsis

I did read it properly first time, and you labeled two universities in Scotland as being "worth their salt" when there are in fact at least eight, three of which consistently beat your university in the league tables. :smile:
Reply 59
foxo
I'm not attacking Leeds - I'm aware that it's a very good university. What irks me is that you're ignorantly attacking the quality of higher education in Scotland.

No i'm not, I just quoted exactly what I said and I acknowledged that there are very high calibre institutions in Scotland. I said that I don't think the lower calibre institutions, which i'm sure you won't deny do exist, do not deserve to have their tution fees paid by the government when there are amazing institutions south of the border who don't. What is there to argue over with that? I'm sure you'll agree that a student studying PPE at Oxford deserves their tuition fees paying more than somebody studying Food and Consumer Sciences at Abertay Dundee.

Latest

Trending

Trending